Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
blackomega

Aborting Prints - Feature request

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this so I apologise if it is not.

Whenever you want to abort a print it would be nice if the UM2 lowered the build plate to the bottom and homed the print head.

I've noticed it does this already on some models but not others. Most of the time it sits there where it stops and I have to lower the build plate myself using the maintenance option.

Interesting.. If I am to guess you uploaded the latest firmwear with a mac?

When I upload it with my mac it does the same and I have to manually home the head and lower the plate. When I upload with a PC it doesn't do this, it automatically lowers the plate etc..

Very strange..

Interesting.. If I am to guess you uploaded the latest firmwear with a mac?

When I upload it with my mac it does the same and I have to manually home the head and lower the plate. When I upload with a PC it doesn't do this, it automatically lowers the plate etc..

Very strange..

I did indeed do it with a Mac. I'll reinstall the firmware using a Windows machine and report back.

It's a known bug, but it's supposed to have been fixed in the 13.11.2 release

It is a very strange phenomenon. If I start to print, for example, the Ultimaker Robot and then abort the print, the build plate and head retract as expected however if I do it with something recently exported from Cura then it doesn't retract.

Is this retraction functionality written to the gcode somewhere or dependant on something in the gcode to begin with?

The ultimaker robot was sliced probably years ago. I dont' think it was even sliced with Cura. It was sliced for the UM original and contains gcodes that explicitly move the head away at the end.

The new way of slicing skips the codes to set temperatures and also skips some of the startup/end gcode and the UM2 does this automatically by itself.

Somehow the UM2 looks over the gcode and decides if it is "old style" or "new style". If "old style" it just follows the gcode blindly. If "new style" it homes, warms up bed and nozzle, and at the end retracts the bed.