unable to slice in cura

Little_Rose_YT

Posted · unable to slice in cura

Start with telling which printer you use, build-plate volume etc.

If the object you want to print is bigger as the build-plate volume, Cura will tell you it is unable to slice and you have to adjust the dimension!

I have no problems witch "switch-case-back", but "switch-case-v1" is rejected because it runs into restrictions of my build-plate volume. That is wrong, my Ender 3 Pro can print 235x235x250... "switch-case-v1" is 189,7x196.1x150.0... Somewhere in this forum there is a topic with a solution for this, to remove/change the restrictions.

So... without more information we really guessing what your problem is...

Posted (edited) · unable to slice in cura

Can't find the topic, but found a YouTube movie...

Like in the video I changed profile from Ender 3 to Ender 3 Pro and now I'm able to slice the parts!

Edited by Mari

Can you make screenshot of your Cura screen and upload it here? Like to see what you are seeing after loading the object and trying to slice!

I just added you printer to my Cura install... no problem with the files, I'm able to slice them all!  The side-panels RED & BLUE I had to set diagional on the buildplate!

Edited by Mari

this is what i see.

screenshot.png

_RotateObjext.thumb.png.dd3f0fc4ca0fc4f90db25f3069a6bc52.png

Rotate the object so it is diagonal on the buildplate... Then it fits!

Edited by Mari

i am still unabel to slice it. 

i am able to slice the back and the holder.

Edited by Little_Rose_YT

If the object is orientated diagonally I should work... Maybe remove printer in Cura and add it again!

Are you able to slice other files than these?

Edited by Mari

1 hour ago, Little_Rose_YT said:

i am still unabel to slice it. nvm i did it wrong xD. tnx for the help 🙂

i am able to slice the back and the holder.

I just setup Ultimaker Cura. I set up everything, but when I click "slice" it says "Unable to slice. Please review settings and check if your models: -Fit within the build volume. -Are assigned to an available extruder. -Are not all set as modifier meshes." I have checked my settings multiple times and I don't see anything wrong with them. Maybe I just don't see it?

Please help,

Thanks

The problem is often with the model.  If you would post the STL file or even better, load the model in Cura and do a "Save Project" and post the 3mf file here.

When I open the file the "assembly" is at 0,0,0 and hanging off the build plate.  It won't slice because it "doesn't fit the build volume".

With the model selected, right click and select "Ungroup" from the bottom of the menu.  Then right click again and choose "Select all models".  Then right click yet again and choose "Group models".

With the new "group" selected - choose the top tool of the left toolbar and make Z, Y, Z all "0".  The model will move onto the build plate and will be sliceable.

I have same issue, please see attached:

Any help is greatly appreciated I am new to 3d printing.

CE3PRO_RTI-Extended-Mag-Alpha-V1.0.3mf

There is only one model in the workspace and you have it set for "overlaps" - but there aren't any overlaps because...like...ya know...there is only one model in the workspace.

Select the model.  In the "Per Model Settings" select "Print as Model".

The next button down is "Support Blocker".  Select Support Blocker and click somewhere on your model to add one.  They come in at 10x10x10 I think.

With the support blocker selected select the Scaling tool and turn off "Uniform Scaling".  Drag the handles of the support blocker and make the support blocker larger than your model so it will cover the whole thing.  Rotate the support block and move it as necessary to cover the whole model.  Always rotate last.  Trying to make changes with the blocker (or model) at an angle is odd.  In this case you want the Z of the support blocker to be "0".

Or you could just turn off Generate Support.  The key is that the way you have it set up there is no model, just a mesh modifier.

Edited by GregValiant

20 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

There is only one model in the workspace and you have it set for "overlaps" - but there aren't any overlaps because...like...ya know...there is only one model in the workspace.

Select the model.  In the "Per Model Settings" select "Print as Model".

The next button down is "Support Blocker".  Select Support Blocker and click somewhere on your model to add one.  They come in at 10x10x10 I think.

With the support blocker selected select the Scaling tool and turn off "Uniform Scaling".  Drag the handles of the support blocker and make the support blocker larger than your model so it will cover the whole thing.  Rotate the support block and move it as necessary to cover the whole model.  Always rotate last.  Trying to make changes with the blocker (or model) at an angle is odd.

Or you could just turn off Generate Support.  The key is that the way you have it set up there is no model, just a mesh modifier.

There is no "print as model" on mine, "support blocker" doesn't let me add one.

Tried turning off generate support as well, still cant slice 😞

solidworks error-slice.PNG

solidworks error.PNG

I got it to slice by saving it as a 3mf format...

I think the 3mf format changed it back into a part.

It used to be called Print as Model.  Now it's "Normal Model".

Untitled.thumb.png.652b94266bd9a1b305d2f9deb6255d59.png

GV_crE3pro.3mf

2 hours ago, GregValiant said:

I think the 3mf format changed it back into a part.

It used to be called Print as Model.  Now it's "Normal Model".

Untitled.thumb.png.652b94266bd9a1b305d2f9deb6255d59.png

GV_crE3pro.3mf 93.27 kB · 0 downloads

It tried that as well wouldn't slice for some reason.

On 9/12/2021 at 12:17 AM, knownchild said:

There is no "print as model" on mine, "support blocker" doesn't let me add one.

Tried turning off generate support as well, still cant slice 😞

solidworks error-slice.PNG

solidworks error.PNG

Well, this will not slice until you place the part in such a way, that it will match with your available print area. The slicer clearly indicate that this isn't the case, your part is overlapping the print area on both sides left and right. A little bit rotating it should help.

@knownchild, did you open the 3mf I posted above?

I'm new to 3D printing so this may be totally obvious to most but may be useful to other noobs...

A skirt or brim will increase the required build area. Cura would not let me slice a 220mmx220mm square but when I turned off skirt it would then let me slice.

Yes, that's normal, because a skirt or brim also needs space on your build plate.