How do I troubleshoot/repair an Ultimaker 2? (ERROR – STOPPED temp sensor BED)

mandyrosler

Posted · How do I troubleshoot/repair an Ultimaker 2? (ERROR – STOPPED temp sensor BED)

Yes. Very easy to fix. Remove glass. Remove the 3 support screws and springs. Remove the 2 screws holding the cable down in the back. Check the 4 wires and the 4 screws and likely you have to re-melt the solder. Very easy to fix. The two thin wires are the problem (the sensor wires).

Posted · How do I troubleshoot/repair an Ultimaker 2? (ERROR – STOPPED temp sensor BED)

We remelted the connector, checked the connections and wires, and it worked for the weekend, but today we are back with the same problem. It is behaving the same as the video again.

Maybe there is harness problem in the cable? Or the bed itself?

I took off the cable strain, and bent the small sensor wires while I looked at the bed temperature. I found a way to place it where the temperature shows correct and clamped it back.

Seems to be a cable problem to me.

Just typed loads in then lost it all so this will be brief:

Same error message,

tracked down to resistive connection of the thermistor element - white square to right of screw terminals (strange place to measure temperature!) in picture below- resistance changes wildly with multimeter connected to pads of thermistor.

Placing a ceramic part on a baseplate with little mechanical compliance cannot be wise unless the thermal expansions are matched. This would be made worse if lead (Pb) free solder is used. better use thin wires to pads from sensor then mount the sensor on the base plate using thermally conductive silicon rubber:

http://uk.farnell.com/acc-silicones/as1802-310ml/silicone-thermal-conductive-adh/dp/1667367

(at £57 per tube not really suitable for individuals!)

Before going further I though I would try resoldering the sensor - result now totally opencircuit!!

This is a Positive temperature coefficient resistor (PTC) not NTC presumably for safety (open circuit connectors leads etc more likely than short circuit - open circuit leads to high reading with NTC would lead to low reading)

I have looked hard for the specification of this device but nothing other than posted here - PT100.

so

is this a suitable replacement:

http://uk.farnell.com/vishay-beyschlag/pts080501b100rp100/thermistor-pts-ptc-100r-0805/dp/1560917RL

Or do I wait weeks for a new base plate from ultimaker! (bit of a waste since only the thermistor is faulty!

I have raised this with support

gallery_21783_339_762023.jpg

It's a platinum part. It's not a thermistor. It's an RTD. It's 100 ohms at 0C.

All PT100 parts have identical tables that conver temperature to resistance. So this is an easy part to replace. If you use google (not the search here) to search for pt100 and restrict results to this forum you will find part numbers and such for replacement. This is not an expensive part and they come in all shapes and sizes.

thanks for the info

no response from ultimaker yet so purchased from farnell (min order £20 so bought more stuff1)

fitted by first placing thin layer of thermal grease (leftover from cpu heatsink). ensuring one pad left free of grease.

pushed sensor onto grease and soldered one end.

solder thin wire from other end of sensor to pin of connector.

Hopefully his will stop differential thermal expansion from causing further problems.

blurred and messy photo:

gallery_34795_1054_70261.jpg

ERROR – STOPPED temp sensor BED

I get Ultimaker 2 few weeks ago and i get the error message ERROR – STOPPED temp sensor BED

I remove de heat bed and i mesure the temperature sensor. its open circuit not 108 ohms

I submit a ticket and send two mail to Ultimaker support and i never get answere.

How to fix the heat bed ?

I had the same problem - check the wires to the temp sensor (the thinner two wires). Make sure they are screwed down tight. If they are then you might need to reflow (reheat) the solder. You might violate your warranty if you don't let UM Support know about this first - I think the newer UM2's have a sticker on this connector warning you to contact support first.

Thank goodness there's an actual video here. The tech talk is head-achy.

Hello.

I found this problem with our printer

Loose connections?