Cant understand Cura settings for printing small cylindrical features

Posted · Cant understand Cura settings for printing small cylindrical features

Hi everyone

Just 2 days old in 3D printing realm  

I am trying to print this small part with dia 3 mm cylindrical features.

I am printing with PLA material

1846064622_NewBitmapImage(2).thumb.jpg.4b1ec638f424c96bbc0410503fdb0405.jpg

Everything is fine but just when it starts to print these small cylindrical features it goes over to one particular point before printing the next one

Once it goes over  to this particular point it starts oozing filament & the features have these whiskers stuck or completely fail.

1658187573_NewBitmapImage(3).thumb.jpg.a943cdb450c800344891fb1b261977f1.jpg

Is there a setting which I can tweak

Thanks in advance 

That's not good.  That just speeds things up.

This is called stringing and you shouldn't get any stringing for most filaments including PLA.  I find white PLA (and all white filaments) string more than others but I usually get zero stringing.

Settings that affect stringing:

retraction - you want  to retract just enough to relieve the pressure without letting any air into the nozzle.  Around 4-8mm for bowden printers (more for longer bowdens) and around 2mm for direct driver printers.

Temperature - lower temperature is better - more viscous - less leaking

Nozzle size - smaller nozzles drip less

print speed - higher print speed means higher pressure which means you need more retraction - it's best to just print slower and not mess with retraction

• Thanks 1

My experience is similar: print as slow and as cool as you can, and in thin layers.

Also try the opposite, print fast, hot, and in thick layers, and see how that works. By exagerrating (here in the wrong direction) you get a better understanding of the effects of these settings.

Stay with the printer and watch what happens. You can also adjust settings (speed, temp, flow rate,...) on the fly up and down, to see how they affect the print. Keep watching it: this gives a lot of understanding. Obviously do this on small test pieces that don't take too much time and material to print.

• Thanks 1