Why doesn't Cura print the full height?

mkoic

Posted · Why doesn't Cura print the full height?

Forgive me if the following feature is already in Cura, but I haven't found a way to do this yet.  For example, when printing a 25mm test cube with a 0.8mm nozzle and 0.4mm layer height, the last layer printed is 24.8mm, not 25mm, because Cura only works in full layers.  Why wouldn't there at least be an option to print the final layer at whatever height is required to reach the full height of the object?  It seems like this would be a nice improvement and an easy feature to add.  In order to avoid potentially having to print the last layer at just 0.1mm thick, perhaps the feature could be to adjust the last "x" number of layers to achieve the full height?

This is one of the reasons I find myself designing things with one eye on the slicing software.  Sometimes you have to fool Cura into doing what you want.

Without the option you described (call it Last Layer Height) and in the situation you described, adjusting the Initial Layer Height to .6 (or .2) would adjust the top layer to end up at 25mm. 

Setting the layer heights to .403 would get really close to 25mm.

But what if the model has a second feature below the top level (Ex: a step) that needs to be held to a tight tolerance as well?

I haven't played with Adaptive Layers much.  Maybe that would be work for multiple features.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GregValiant said:

This is one of the reasons I find myself designing things with one eye on the slicing software.  Sometimes you have to fool Cura into doing what you want.

Without the option you described (call it Last Layer Height) and in the situation you described, adjusting the Initial Layer Height to .6 (or .2) would adjust the top layer to end up at 25mm. 

Setting the layer heights to .403 would get really close to 25mm.

But what if the model has a second feature below the top level (Ex: a step) that needs to be held to a tight tolerance as well?

I haven't played with Adaptive Layers much.  Maybe that would be work for multiple features.

I’ll have to look into Adaptive Layers some.

Adaptive layers does not take the height of the object into account. it only uses the curvature to calculate what the best layer height is.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited) · Why doesn't Cura print the full height?

This is something where the Cura team can improve the software as this problem is well known and often reported since Adaptive Layer was implemented. 🙂

I don't want to complain, but find it remarkable that Slic3r can do that easily (they implement it 2017). Cura implement it, but isn't able to summarize layer heights correctly.

I know, easy to say, but how long exist Cura 4? And there is no time and/or priority to correct this software failure - the only thing that a FDM-Printer can easily achieve in exactness and the slicer isn't able to do it.

I am still hoping that someone from the development team take this issue and repair it. Because this is showstopper for technical prints where is the need for minimum one exact measurement.

Edited by DivingDuck
    • Like 1