Can't select any objects

homernl82

Posted · Can't select any objects

Hallo,

I am having an issue for months now, I think since cura 4.2 or so, now just updated to cura 4.6.2, hoping this would finally work again, but it doesn't. Since I do not want to switch to another slicer, I am now seeking help here.

My issue is, that the only way I have to select an object is through the Object list on the lower left. clicking anywhere in the 3d view, no matter how clearly I click the object, it will deselect. Hence I cannot drag an object at all. When I want to move an object, I have to select it in the object list and manually type the coordinates. This kind of works. However, rotation is impossible, as there is nowhere I can enter an angle. So I end up starting a 3d program, loading the model, rotating it there and loading it back into cura. Not a very nice work flow. Other options like placing support blockers or so have of course also become unusable.

I am running Arch Linux with kernel 5.7.10, Python 3.8.4 and Cura 4.6.2 (this package https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/any/cura/ ) on i3 tiling window manager. This issue now persists for months, while before it was always working.

I have no idea what the reason might be :-(

Hoping someone else encountered this and solved it somehow :-)

P.S. Generally it would be nice to be able to enter rotation angles instead of just being able to rotate through dragging.

23 minutes ago, burtoogle said:

If you run the AppImage from UM, does the mouse selection/interaction work as expected?

yes, just check and it apparently does, but I can't use my printer definitions and so on, when running the AppImage, and generally would like to have an installed version 😞

Is it possible that the arch package itself is faulty in some way?

11 minutes ago, homernl82 said:

Is it possible that the arch package itself is faulty in some way?

I'm guessing it's because you're using Python 3.8.4 and, AFAIK, the Cura source from UM is still expecting Python 3.5.7.

43 minutes ago, homernl82 said:

but I can't use my printer definitions and so on, when running the AppImage

side question: why not....?

Does the AppImage not use the exact same configuration folder?

Hmm, if that's the reason, there's probably no easy fix 😞

1 minute ago, tinkergnome said:

side question: why not....?

Does the AppImage not use the exact same configuration folder?

Apparently not. But probably just a matter of moving the files to the right place. Still not the preferred solution, but probably better than what I currently have.

If you put the definition in ~/.local/share/cura/4.6/definitions it should pick it up just fine.

I'm having this same problem with Cura 4.8 using Mac OS 11.1

I am also having this problem, on Mac Big Sur 11.0.1 with Cura 4.8.0. Can't select, rotate, move with mouse, whenever I click onto an object it de-selects it. 

Me too! on a Mac with Big Sur and Cura 4.8

I have no problems on an iMac and MacBook Pro both with Big Sur. I can select and move the object as before.

So the question is now, what is the difference between my and your installations?

So I'm also having this issue. I have a MBP 16", 2.6GHz 6 Core i7 with 32GB of memory. Big Sur 11.0.1. I Just upgraded to 4.8 and I can't select the objects. If I clear out my mac cache it works for about 2 min and then when i try to manipulate, it goes away. I have no third party packages installed at all. Any ideas from anyone?

In the meantime me and also Ultimaker can reproduce the problem. There is also an open issue on GitHub for that and they are working on it.

• Like 1

Thank You. I'm glad you guys can reproduce the issue and its not just me. Hopefully 4.8.1 will be out soon with a fix

• Like 1

Thanks for your efforts.  At least I'm not to blame!  Usually it's me doing something wrong. 🙂  Hopefully they will be able to quickly find the problem.

Posted (edited) · Can't select any objects

Same "intermittent" problem here: Cura 4.8.0 and Big Sur 11.0.1 (on latest MBP16 2020).

After importing the different stl files on plate, the only way to select them is via the object panel (very uncomfortable... ok as a precise option, but usually far better to click on an object to select it), and as soon as I try a movement or transformation, they get unselected...

This could be a real problem, 'cos it's quite important to move and rescale objects...

PS: one of the loaded file was not considered as watertight... maybe this scrambled something... (but the problem is minor and looking at the print preview sequence is should print OK).

Anyhow I personally found that saving the .3mf file, quitting Cura, reopening and reloading the file... it works as usual.

Edited by gmeardi

15 hours ago, gmeardi said:

Same "intermittent" problem here: Cura 4.8.0 and Big Sur 11.0.1 (on latest MBP16 2020).

After importing the different stl files on plate, the only way to select them is via the object panel (very uncomfortable... ok as a precise option, but usually far better to click on an object to select it), and as soon as I try a movement or transformation, they get unselected...

This could be a real problem, 'cos it's quite important to move and rescale objects...

PS: one of the loaded file was not considered as watertight... maybe this scrambled something... (but the problem is minor and looking at the print preview sequence is should print OK).

Anyhow I personally found that saving the .3mf file, quitting Cura, reopening and reloading the file... it works as usual.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I hadn't tried to save the project and then reopen. I kept reopening the STL file. I was using TinkerCad if it matters. I haven't taken the plunge into Fusion360 yet. 

Good day - am having the same problem with my setup here (Big Sur and Cura 4.8) -  unable to select ovject on the build plate - or, after new boot, can select once,  move object or scale up/down, but then object is deselected and can not be selected anymore. ??  - which issue name or number would that be on github please (to follow up there as well)

Thanks

After importing the different stl files on plate, the only way to select them is via the object panel (very uncomfortable... ok as a precise option, but usually far better to click on an object to select it), and as soon as I try a movement or transformation, they get unselected... I need information which Cura version works peerfect and how to install it. Big sure allows to install Cura 4.8 only. I get crazy, I got a new Ultimaker 3 and cannot print with it. I need to turn the objects.

Is there someone who solved the problem. Thanks for help

and I wish all a merry X-mas anyway.

I can only tell you what is working for me. Running macOS Big Sur and Cura 4.8.0

If I click the folder icon to load a model I can not select it just like described above.

BUT... I f you load your model Go to your command bar -->vusing File -> Open file(s) it seems to load my models as they are supposed to.

It works for me. Hopefully this helps.

sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Inbetween I loaded the .stl by using stl only and it worked for on or two prints but I am still not happy. Thank you very much for your support.

I have MacOS 11.0 - Cura 4.8 - and fixed it with - Adding Cura to "Security & Privacy" - "Privacy" - "Full Disk Access"

image.thumb.png.7edd03b478871c18dd2cf608ff10b5d3.png 

• Like 3
    • Thanks 2

hviidcom, you have an excellent timing - I had this issue 20 minutes ago and when I scrolled through this thread, I was already giving up hope ... and then, the very last entry, yours, made my day!

Just registered to thank you! :-) Have a good day!

On 1/5/2021 at 5:22 AM, hviidcom said:

I have MacOS 11.0 - Cura 4.8 - and fixed it with - Adding Cura to "Security & Privacy" - "Privacy" - "Full Disk Access"

image.thumb.png.7edd03b478871c18dd2cf608ff10b5d3.png 

Created an account just to say THANK YOU and tell anyone else having this problem to try this.  I was experiencing the same thing, and this fixed it.  You're the hero we needed.

• Like 1