Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
homernl82

Can't select any objects

Posted · Can't select any objects

Hallo,

I am having an issue for months now, I think since cura 4.2 or so, now just updated to cura 4.6.2, hoping this would finally work again, but it doesn't. Since I do not want to switch to another slicer, I am now seeking help here.

My issue is, that the only way I have to select an object is through the Object list on the lower left. clicking anywhere in the 3d view, no matter how clearly I click the object, it will deselect. Hence I cannot drag an object at all. When I want to move an object, I have to select it in the object list and manually type the coordinates. This kind of works. However, rotation is impossible, as there is nowhere I can enter an angle. So I end up starting a 3d program, loading the model, rotating it there and loading it back into cura. Not a very nice work flow. Other options like placing support blockers or so have of course also become unusable.

I am running Arch Linux with kernel 5.7.10, Python 3.8.4 and Cura 4.6.2 (this package https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/any/cura/ ) on i3 tiling window manager. This issue now persists for months, while before it was always working.

I have no idea what the reason might be :-(

Hoping someone else encountered this and solved it somehow :-)

P.S. Generally it would be nice to be able to enter rotation angles instead of just being able to rotate through dragging.

If you run the AppImage from UM, does the mouse selection/interaction work as expected?

23 minutes ago, burtoogle said:

If you run the AppImage from UM, does the mouse selection/interaction work as expected?

yes, just check and it apparently does, but I can't use my printer definitions and so on, when running the AppImage, and generally would like to have an installed version 😞

Is it possible that the arch package itself is faulty in some way?

11 minutes ago, homernl82 said:

Is it possible that the arch package itself is faulty in some way?

I'm guessing it's because you're using Python 3.8.4 and, AFAIK, the Cura source from UM is still expecting Python 3.5.7.

43 minutes ago, homernl82 said:

but I can't use my printer definitions and so on, when running the AppImage

side question: why not....?

Does the AppImage not use the exact same configuration folder?

Hmm, if that's the reason, there's probably no easy fix 😞

1 minute ago, tinkergnome said:

side question: why not....?

Does the AppImage not use the exact same configuration folder?

Apparently not. But probably just a matter of moving the files to the right place. Still not the preferred solution, but probably better than what I currently have.

If you put the definition in ~/.local/share/cura/4.6/definitions it should pick it up just fine.