Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Can't select any objects

Posted · Can't select any objects

For me neither, but my workaround is to open a dialog box from a plugin, after you close the dialog, you can select the object again.

I think the problem is not constant. I can work for hours without any problems but on other days, I have to do my workaround every second or third action I do on the object.

That's interesting... you're "open a plugin dialog box" work around does not work for me.  The only plugin I have is Auto Orientate. Maybe you have a plugin that does something different?

I use the Custom Printjob Naming plugin and it works well.

It was not my idea to go this way, it was found out my someone else here. So thanks for this work around.

The "Custom Printjob Naming" plugin does do the trick.  I can't select an object, I open the "Custom Printjob Naming" plugin dialog box, click "Cancel", and then I can select objects.  Maybe that info will help the developers?

2 minutes ago, flyntm said:

Maybe that info will help the developers?

They know it already.

On 1/5/2021 at 3:22 AM, hviidcom said:

I have MacOS 11.0 - Cura 4.8 - and fixed it with - Adding Cura to "Security & Privacy" - "Privacy" - "Full Disk Access"

image.thumb.png.7edd03b478871c18dd2cf608ff10b5d3.png 

This worked for me. Thanks

Big Sur 11.1. 2019 16" Macbook Pro

This is an incredibly frustrating issue. Full Disk Access did not resolve it for me, and the dialog workaround also does not do the trick. The only thing that works is quitting Cura and opening it again.

Big Sur 11.0.1 (20B29)

I hope this is fixed asap.

FYI in my case the permissions didn't work. Per the other topic I could get it to work by opening the modify gcode popup and then close it.

I wish I had never upgraded to big sur my VBox is down too now 😞

On 1/5/2021 at 12:22 PM, hviidcom said:

I have MacOS 11.0 - Cura 4.8 - and fixed it with - Adding Cura to "Security & Privacy" - "Privacy" - "Full Disk Access"

You just made my day!!!  I was going crazy having to save and reopen each time I add a second object. Thanks

On 1/5/2021 at 12:22 PM, hviidcom said:

Hi - 

I followed this and almost thought I managed to get it working but my excitement was short lived.  I have two issues, as they are intermitted I can only assume they are bugs;

1.) After adding support blockers (either to block support, generate support and custom define settings for certain area) preview is not available from time to time.  The only 'consistency' I could find in this glitch was that this occurred whenever custom supports are added in the PREPARE MODE before slicing and preview.  

My workaround:

• Open model
    • Slice model
    • PREVIEW model
    • While in PREVIEW mode, add support.
    • Now when slicing again, changes are visible and PREVIEW works.

2.) After adding the first custom support, the new object is 'clickable' and can be moved using the Mouse/Trackpad. After adding a SECOND support blocker, the objects can only be selected in the object list.  The major concern here is that yu can no longer move the object with the mouse/trackpad.  You can manually enter co-ordinates. This is kind of besides the point as no changed settings seems to have an affect (from the second model onwards) which is clearly visible when slicing and preview.

My workaround (Sadly the only thing I could find to work):

• As per above
    • Add support blocker (for what ever purpose) 
    • Change settings as required
    • Slice.
    • Save File.
    • Quit Cura
    • Relaunch Cura and open using "import models"
    • Add second support blocker and repeat process.
    • .... Live, Die, Repeat..... 😕 

Hope someone else has a better solution (or can tell me I am utterly stupid and doing something very obvious very wrong) to these bugs... quite annoying to be honest.

Kind Regards,

Friedl. (Cura 4.8.0 on OSx) 

Screenshot 2021-02-13 at 21.36.08.png

another user that created an account just to acknowledge that this fixed the issue for me.

• Like 2
    On 1/5/2021 at 2:22 AM, hviidcom said:

Thanks this fixed it for me as well.  I just upgraded to Big Sur and not being able to point and drag models around was a real drag!

Richard