X Axis clicking sound and poor quality

Posted (edited) · X Axis clicking sound and poor quality

Printed a single layer (0.3mm) of clear polyfabb PVB. The material goes down beautifully on the y axis but the x axis not so much. It seems like the head movement is not as smooth which causing slight over extrusion.

I also noticed a clicking sound when the head moves along the x axis. Machine and belts are relatively new. I checked the bearings and rods too.

Here is a video of the sound:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/18AaQFgVthKA7t349

Thanks in advance for any tips!

IMG_20200801_160116.jpg

Edited by kchiarcher
PVB...not PLA

Posted · X Axis clicking sound and poor quality

I hate that sound.  Usually I only hear that sound after a printer has printed >2000 hours.  But it won't affect your prints.  It's something to do with the belts and pulleys I think?  I guess it could be a bearing but I think it's something else.

Anyway that has nothing to do with your vibrations.  I think.  Hmm.  Or does it?

Good to know that sound is not too much of a concern. (Though it's becoming a slight obsession to figure it out lol)

Not certain it's related but it did seem like too much of a coincidence that the sound is only on the x axis and that is also where print quality suffers. Movements along the y axis are quiet.

I saw you checked the belts, have you seen if your printer is aligned though? If you can move any of the 4 rods that run around the outside, you need to loosen the pulley and push it towards the outer panel while pushing the rod in, then set the screw on the pulley so it is firmly in place, I'm unsure if it's related to your issue though.

You want to slide the print head to one side such that the sliding blocks reach a pulley - make sure the belt is lined up with the rod above/below and make sure that the pulley is aligned also.

Move the head to all 4 sides and at each side check the two pulleys that the sliding block is closest to.  (8 pulleys to check)

Also check that the 2 short belts to the stepper motors have pulleys that are lined up.

Usually printers make this sound when the belts are very old and you replace the belts to get rid of the sound (although they usually print just fine even with the noise).

I suppose it could be a bad bearing that makes this noise.  They cost something like 2 $/Euros.  The bearing is inset in the wall of the printer.

@Dim3nsioneer @fbrc8-erin what do you guys think of the noise in the video of the first post?  I'm 90% sure the poster is in USA.

Thanks gr5! I will check that this week.

Yes am based in the U.S. Are there generic bearings that work or does Ultimaker sell spares? Sounds like it would be good to have some of those and spare belts on hand.

Thanks again! 

The bearings you can definitely buy 3rd party.  I've bought different sized bearings on ebay.  They tend to have 3 numbers, inner diameter, outer diameter and thickness (often not mentioned as this is pretty standard).  Usually numbers are in integral mm (e.g. 12mm).  Finally, some have a flange.  I do not know the dimensions of the UM ones.  Anyway you can get all the parts you might need at fbrc8.com.  fbrc8.com assembled your printer as they assemble all Ultimaker printers sold in USA.  You might have trouble finding a part on their website but you can just email them.  Include the serial number of your printer and if the printer is new enough they might send you a part for free.  Or not.  It depends if it's for a spare or a genuine defect.  support@fbrc8.com

The company that sold you this printer can also get you any spare part but again, you will need to email them.

Erin at fbrc8 is part of the support team I think.  If not I'm sure she trained them as she knows an incredible amount about fixing UM printers.  That's why I tagged her - I'll do it again: @fbrc8-erin

• Like 1

If that's your first layer, the sound could be related to the Z-motor making tiny moves on the active leveling. Does the sound still occur on later layers?

To isolate the noise/determine whether it might be belt or bearing related:

Remove your printhead from the printer and set it aside (you can set it on the table still attached by the bowden tube and printhead cable). Then move the sliding blocks by hand and listen to the belts. If there don't seem to be any abnormal noises, next check the printhead bearings.

To check those independently, you'll want to slide your printhead shaft through the printhead by hand (still not attached to the belts). If it feels or sounds like going over railroad tracks that's generally an indication that it's the bearing.

As Gr5 mentioned we do assemble the machines here in the US, and I stock most replacement parts (bearings and belts are both up at fbrc8.com). If you want to put in an official support ticket with my team and include you're serial number and troubleshooting information we can check on your warranty for you.

• Like 1

@gr5 & @fbrc8-erin
    Thank you both so much for the advice!  It is much appreciated.  

Yes, the sound still occurs on later layers.  I'll try those troubleshooting tips later this week to figure out if it's belt or bearing related.  It's really great getting to tap into your experience!

thanks!