Thin wall or surface is broken or missing?

j_keiter

Posted · Thin wall or surface is broken or missing?

I have holes in part very close to outside surface such that there is a very thin section/wall/shell.  I want Cura to create a continuous surface on the outside walls regardless of how thin they are.  I noticed Special Modes - Surface Mode - Surface worked but then I had no internal fill geometry etc.  

CuraThinWallMissing.png

sample_riser_LS10.3mf

Posted (edited) · Thin wall or surface is broken or missing?

Looking at that, the holes are to close to the outside so its unable to fit in the wall for the hole and the wall for the part outside wall into the same space and thats why you end up with them gaps.

A few things you can try is using a 0.25 nozzle or smaller (I'm guessing you are using 0.4 right now) also check you edit the line widths for the walls if you are not using a Ultimaker with print cores and also under the "Shell" settings turn on "Print thin walls", doing this gives the room the printer needs to be able to print both walls.

1996060352_Screenshot2020-08-03at16_52_46.thumb.png.95431be0dec2abf4f8eab020a90d0b3b.png

Edited by Carla_Birch

What is the purpose of "Print thin walls".  I've checked it's box and assumed it would print a wall thinner than my nozzle or line width.   I hoped "Print thin walls" would print the .2mm walls as .5mm walls matching my line width.  

The purpose of the setting is to try and print walls thinner than your line width/nozzle size, to do this it under extrudes where the thin wall is to print a  thinner line width. And this is the setting that along with a smaller nozzle can help you print the model as designed as I showed above.

If you want the models thin walls to be printed thicker than designed, then if the slicer could it would mean the printed model would not match the sizing of the 3D model what would make for many many problems with fit and other problems with other models if it acted in that manner.

So if you want the thin walls to be printed thicker I would say you would need to edit your model to have thicker walls so that they can be printed thicker.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 4:40 PM, Carla_Birch said:

The purpose of the setting is to try and print walls thinner than your line width/nozzle size

Print thin walls works on an experimental model but not on the part I downloaded.  Bizarre!  I used .5mm line width with .4mm nozzle and Print Thin Walls checked.  My experimental model has a 0 width then 0.1 then 0.2 etc. walls where circle holes are close to outer wall.  Grateful for the help.  

SideBySideCompare.png

SideBySidePrepare.png

CuraPrintThinWallsTest.stl sample_riser_LS10.stl sample_riser_LS10.3mf