Switching printers - New API key for OctoPrint not recognized

KAllen

Posted · Switching printers - New API key for OctoPrint not recognized

Cura 4.5 on Windows 7 64-bit.  I have the Octoprint plugin installed and have been happily slicing and send gcode to my printer for months.  I recently picked up a 2nd printer and did the mods on my Octopi setup to run two separate instances of OctoPrint and that's working great - sort of.

I added the 2nd printer, was able to successfully request its API Key and send files to it.  The issue I'm having is changing printers and being able to send those files to the "other" printer after slicing.  I may be doing something wrong or don't quite understand the "mechanics" of properly switching printers mid-Cura session.

What I just experienced:  I fired up Cura and it opened with PRINTER2 selected.  I opened a small calibration .STL model, verified my PETG profile was selected, sliced it and clicked Print with OctoPrint.  I popped over to my browser and verified the file was received successfully.  I wanted to do the same with PRINTER1 so I chose Settings | Printer | PRINTER1.  The build plate depiction changed to the correct dimensions of this printer.  I pulled in my model, verified my PLA profile was selected, sliced it and clicked Print with OctoPrint.  I got an error about not being able to use the current API Key with this printer.

I tried this a few times and even went in to Manage Printers to try both Activating and Requesting API Keys from both printers.  Same deal.  I was able to shut down Cura with PRINTER1 selected and restart and send the file that way, but that's kinda kludgy. 

I'm likely doing something wrong here, but I'm just not seeing it.  Gonna take a break and drink a beer and see if some time away makes a difference in what I'm seeing.

If you have two printers configured in Cura, each connected with a different OctoPrint instance, each should store its own key. I am not sure what is going wrong. Could you DM me, so we can exchange some files without exposing your keys to the world?

They've definitely got their own unique keys and the request for keys when in Printer Management is met with the correct key and user info.   DM in a sec...

Had a short day today so I thought I'd investigate further.   Fired up Cura, loaded and sliced a random model, Print with OctoPrint.  Switched printers, loaded up the same model, sliced, Print with OctoPrint..

Did the same thing with two different models, worked fine...  Figures.  lol

• Like 1

Issues that magically resolve themselves have a tendency to reoccur. If it does reoccur, please let me know.

So far, so good.  In and out of Cura a couple times today and it's doing what I expect it to.  I'm thinking it's a combination of errors; PEBKAC and ID10T.  🙂

You forget that I also have a keyboard and a chair 😉