Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
dumle29

Export machines, import setup from old setup

Hello there, I love cura, it's awesome, but a thing that I've been missing a bit from slic3r, is the ability to export a config/profile, that has everything configured in it. That is, I set up cura with the machine specific settings, and then export the profile, and then I'd like to be able to export the machine settings as well.

Another thing that I'd like this to tie in with, is when upgrading cura, it should check if there is a previous install of cura present, and then get the machines configured, and the last loaded profile.

As a third feature suggestion, being able to make a custom installer that includes a profile and a machine (or more) would be epic, as that would make it much easier for me getting students set up to use the printer (I'm a student myself, but I'm the 3D printer guy)

EDIT: Splellings

It's confusing but you can go to the filament menu and change the default temperatures for PLA. Everytime I do this it is very confusing and takes me 3 tries and I never know exactly what order to hit the buttons but it is possible to do this. You know you got it when you are done you can select PLA as the filament and it starts heating to the new temperatures.

The machine definitions live inside the preferences file. On a Mac, that lives in ~/.cura/<version number>/preferences.ini. On Windows it looks like it lives inside the Cura application folder... e.g., Cura_13.11.2Cura preferences.ini.

If you set that file up the way you want it, you can copy that between machines. That also lets you rename the machines, which is something folks had asked about in other threads recently.