Export machines, import setup from old setup

dumle29

Posted · Export machines, import setup from old setup

Hello there, I love cura, it's awesome, but a thing that I've been missing a bit from slic3r, is the ability to export a config/profile, that has everything configured in it. That is, I set up cura with the machine specific settings, and then export the profile, and then I'd like to be able to export the machine settings as well.

Another thing that I'd like this to tie in with, is when upgrading cura, it should check if there is a previous install of cura present, and then get the machines configured, and the last loaded profile.

As a third feature suggestion, being able to make a custom installer that includes a profile and a machine (or more) would be epic, as that would make it much easier for me getting students set up to use the printer (I'm a student myself, but I'm the 3D printer guy)

EDIT: Splellings

Cura has Save Profile and Open Profile in the File menu. Also, if you're slicing for something other than the UM2, then Cura writes all of the settings used into every gcode file that you produce, and then you can reload them using File -> Load Profile from Gcode.

It's confusing but you can go to the filament menu and change the default temperatures for PLA. Everytime I do this it is very confusing and takes me 3 tries and I never know exactly what order to hit the buttons but it is possible to do this. You know you got it when you are done you can select PLA as the filament and it starts heating to the new temperatures.

I don't think I got my point clearly across.

What i mean is that every time I move to another computer, I have to set up a new machine, with the dimensions of my machine. This is what I want to be able to export, the machine dimensions. :)

Ah, the machine settings... yes, that's still very much in it's infancy, having only been added to Cura with the launch of the UM2. I expect that with a little time, that part of the set up will mature a little bit.

The machine definitions live inside the preferences file. On a Mac, that lives in ~/.cura/<version number>/preferences.ini. On Windows it looks like it lives inside the Cura application folder... e.g., Cura_13.11.2Cura preferences.ini.

If you set that file up the way you want it, you can copy that between machines. That also lets you rename the machines, which is something folks had asked about in other threads recently.

Posted (edited) · Export machines, import setup from old setup

Would it not be a great idea to store the settings online in your account ?

It does not take much space ... 

This way, any machine you use to slice will automatically load/save your settings

(Or link it to your google drive/onedrive/webdav/....), but with your account would be great

Edited by gizmocuz
    • Like 1

Posted (edited) · Export machines, import setup from old setup

2022 and I Still have to copy and paste files to trick Cura into getting my machine parameters for my vivendino T-rex 3.0 IDEX

but where do they go with cura 5.1?

Edited by Kpdelucia

What operating system are you using?

You took too long.  I'm closing this topic.  Open a new topic if you want help.