Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Muk_IT

Poor quality, not sure how to fix

Posted · Poor quality, not sure how to fix

I tried to print this pegboard torque wrench holder and I am not sure why the posts turned out so bad. I am very new to printing and this is the third thing I have printed and I am not sure how to fix. I attached the gcode and stl files as well. Any help or advice would be appreciated

unnamed.jpg

3_8 Torque Wrench Holder.stl 3_8 Torque Wrench Holder.gcode

Forgot to mention I am using Ender 3 pro with inland PLA+

Printing such small parts is often a problem, the layer has no chance to cool down before the next layer comes. You can try to print much slower and a little bit cooler and check if your cooling fan is at full speed.

Thanks for the input, I will check and see about lowering the speed and temp and give that a shot!

You can also try changing the "Minimum Layer Time" value. This will automatically slow down your print speed ( to a cap ) depending on how long Cura thinks it will take to process the layer.

Posted (edited) · Poor quality, not sure how to fix

Save as 3MF, then we have not only the object but also your printer profile and other settings...

Edited by Mari
Export = Save ;-)

1 hour ago, Mari said:

Export to 3MF,

No, if you export as 3MF, you will only get the model! Do File -> Save as... to get a 3mf project file.

You're right... It must be SAVE not EXPORT...

Posted (edited) · Poor quality, not sure how to fix

Just downloaded your 3MF-file... Starting the print with only minor changes on your settings (Buildplate 50 instead of 60 degrees, Printing Temperature 210 instead of 200 degrees and brim instead of skirt for beter printbed adhesion!)... Will show later how the prints looks like!

Did you print it in this orientation? With the pegs-side on the heated bed? Not sure it will print that way without support... Will see, printer is running!

Edited by Mari

I almost ran out of filament, so only printed 50% of the object. The problem were the poor result of the printed pegs.

Like you can see, this is a good print of the pegs...

I did a little search on the WWW, Print Temperature of Inland PLA+ should be 205-225 degrees, so if you print this on a too low temperature you get bad prints! Find out what the best print temperature is for this type of filament on your printer (not every printer is the same, so ideal print temperature may differ a few degrees between Ender 3 pro and another Ender 3 Pro).

Did you calibrate extruder, X,Y and Z steppermotors? You will be surprised to see that and Ender 3 Pro needs calibration, you probably print with standard E-steps setting in Firmware!

2020-08-06 20.59.14.jpg

2020-08-06 21.01.30.jpg

No I did not calibrate, sorry was not aware i needed to. I will search for instructions on how to do this. your print looks great compared to mine.  

I will attempt the calibration then try reprinting with the settings you tried and see what happens

Some printers print fine without calibration, I noticed that my printer could use some calibration...

When you are printing on the flexible magnetic buildplate, you better use 60 degrees to get good adhesion. Clean the buildplate with Isopropynol alcohol 70%... Printing temperature is depending on the filament type you are using (I print a lot with a PLA Filament from a Dutch Webshop 123-3D.nl. My ideal temperature for this filament is 210 degrees!)

For calibrating X,Y and Z, you can print a calibration cube...  You can find many tutorials on calibrating your printer on YouTube, for example on the channel of CHEP!

Thank you all for the suggestions, I performed the Extruder and XYZ axis calibrations and all seems well now!