The 3Doodler - anyone got their hands on it yet?

jonnybischof

Posted · The 3Doodler - anyone got their hands on it yet?

Hi community!

I've just preordered a 3Doodler (after I saw Illuminarti's picture in the "post your last print" section) and am now wondering if there's more people here who already have one or want to get one.

I wonder about a few things, such as "why do they recommend ABS instead of PLA?" and "What can you do with it?"...

Any experiences with the device so far?

I wonder if you can do stuff like "welding printed parts together" just like it's done with steel parts (like a bicycle frame). Actually, the welding scars on bicycle frames can look pretty cool, so if it's possible to transfer the same thing to 3D printed parts it might give some interesting optical properties. And I think it's just fun to do it :)

Also, the 3Doodler might be a good option to get differently colored ornaments or stuff like texts on regular 3D printed parts. Should work fine? Any experiences?

Haven't done much with mine yet. I think they recommend ABS because it has a smaller temperature range over which it is soft, so it hardens faster, meaning it works better for extruding in free space.

One of the things I plan to use mine for is touching up prints - extruding extra plastic into holes etc.

I've made little use of mine so far.

I'm doubtful that I'll use it for much other than entertaining grandchildren.

The software is not yet finalised and the promised 'trace' feature might be useful.

Aren't you talking about the Doodle3D? ;-)

The software is not yet finalised and the promised 'trace' feature might be useful.

Wrong device. Doodle3D vs 3Doodler. Confusing as they did a kickstarter around the same time, and independently came up with about the same name.

But, on the wrong-device side. I hope to release "wireless printing straight from Cura powered by the Doodle3D box" before the end of the year. Should add some value.

Did I get that right: The 3Doodler does NOT have a temperature control except for a switch between ABS (240° I guess) and PLA (temp?)?

So, there could indeed be a problem that it is not suitable for "just about any PLA laying around"?

Yes, it just has a two-position switch. I haven't tried it with PLA - but given that PLA is workable over a huge temperature range, I'd expect it to work ok. PLA just may not be the best material for free-standing 3-Dimensional objects (although I maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised).

I just think PLA is hugely preferrable to ABS because ABS stinks and gives me a headache within minutes.

With the Doodler you can't just shut the device away and air the room when it's done, you have to be close to the extruder all the time...

I think PLA should work fine for 3D objects, as it usually solidifies quickly when I tinker with it on the printer. But I guess I'll see it when it gets here with 50 strands of PLA of unspecified color and quality :)

Ah! Sorry, my mistake.

3Doodler looks very interesting.

Here's a link to their comparison of ABS vs PLA: http://www.the3doodler.com/abs-vs-pla-head-to-head/

I wonder if it can use material that has been spooled (such as we normally use on Ultimakers) rather than the dead straight lengths they show.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't break when you straighten it a little...

And I guess you should not just put the spool in the 3Doodler but instead cut the spool into sticks and use them like the original material they supply...

Yes - I'm sure that cut to length is the way to go.

I haven't processed ABS yet. I recall that one particular colour of DiamondAge PLA tended to break when I straightened it to feed into the Ultimaker extruder!