Organic shape, all designed to 1mm wall thickness not slicing properly

KnightDriveTV

Posted (edited) · Organic shape, all designed to 1mm wall thickness not slicing properly

Designed this is in Fusion 360.  It has a uniform 1mm wall thickness, but when imported into Cura, some of it is removed.  I then did a 2mm wall thickness model and it worked fine but it's THICK.  I'm running a 1mm nozzle, so I am wondering if this is somehow affecting the slicing operation as being able to not achieve some of the wall areas, due to the large nozzle size (and the settings CURA applies when selecting that nozzle size).  Could this be the problem, or is there a setting you feel I could possibly try, in order to achieve this thickness?  It's really critical to the design that I get this thinner to 1mm.

Edited by KnightDriveTV

Posted · Organic shape, all designed to 1mm wall thickness not slicing properly

I started experimenting with changing nozzle diameter profiles and using the default settings Cura provides.  Once I went below .6mm, the entire print became possible.  So, all I can assume is that due to the organic shape, and my intent to "thicken" via Fusion360, there must be some thinner areas that went below 1mm and Cura determined because I had a 1mm nozzle, that the print wasn't possible.  Once I set to .4mm nozzle, print looks fantastic in slicing so...that's one more thing figured out in this long journey I've partaken in here...lol.

Yes I think your understanding is correct.  However be aware that there is also a "print thin walls" option which I recommend you always check.  This would have fixed your issue with the 1mm nozzle and the 2mm walls.

I will definitely look into that.  It was 1mm with 1mm walls, when I increased the wall thickness to 2mm the issue went away, so that's what made me suspect somehow the 1mm nozzle/1mm wall was some kind of slicing conflict.  I am definitely going to check that though, to see if it allows me to slice the 1mm model with the 1mm nozzle set in Cura...see what happens.  I have to find that setting.

Just above all the settings is a search box.  If you enter something in there like "thin" it will show you all settings with that word in the name (and also description maybe).  Even if the setting is "invisible".