e3d hot end installation and wiring issues

Posted · e3d hot end installation and wiring issues

Hello, I am trying to install a new hotend on my tevo black widow printer.

The female connections my printer uses is in picture 1.

Picture 2 shoes the normal male connection on the left as compared to the male connection that came with the new hot end on the right. 

Also picture 3 shows the blue connections I have to make from the hot end to the other end of the e3d male connection.  The blue wires do not fit into the slots.

Can I just connect the blue wires directly to tevo female connection and skip that adapter that doesnt fit anyway?

Any help is appreciated, never had to do any wiring like this before!!

Thank you.

-Paul

connection.jpg

lead heads.jpg

loose head.jpg

Cut the connector off the new hot end and throw it away.  Then cut the connector off the old hot end leaving 100mm of wire on the connector.  Then solder it onto the wires of the new hot end making sure to get the wire colors right.  You can get shrink tube insulation at any hardware store.  Make sure to remember to slide pieces of insulation onto the wires before you solder.

Do the same kind of thing with the blue wires (old ends soldered to the new wires).  Remember to insulate.

I would advise you to never buy an old motorcycle.

hhahahaha

When I have car problems I pop the hood and look at the engine, shake my head and then call a real man to fix it...

I will watch some youtube videos on how to solder, and then after I burn down my machine I will likely buy a new one hehe.

Thank you for the help, it is much appreciated!!

One more question, how in the heck do I figure out which wire connects to black and which to red?  The new hotend wires are both blue.....  

You will have to see if you can get support from the store you bought it from.  Off the top of my head I'd say the red is power to the heater and black is the negative to the heater.  The double blue wires are the thermistor and typically they don't have polarity so you can't get them wrong so long as you connect them to the correct two wires on the machine.

But check support at the store first and double check my assertion regarding the blue wires that there is no polarity.