Ultimaker Cura 4.7 is available!

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.7 is available!
14 hours ago, burtoogle said:

If users of 3rd party printers aren't willing to try the beta releases, they should expect trouble when the releases arrive as UM do not have the resources to test on anything but their own products. Yes, Cura is supplied FOC but maybe people need to be willing to pay a price for it, the price is that they play an active role in the testing of new releases.

Agree completely. As soon as Cura updates stop routinely and inexplicably breaking printer profiles etc, I'll be happy to continue testing beta releases. Until then, I can do without the "new" features so I can have a usable slicer. 

Hi guys,

I like the new 4.7 version, but I found a small small problem:

if the filename of an object is very long there is only the beginning of the name shown in the object list.

In older versions the full name appeared after placing my cursor on the name but not in this version.

My Printobjects are often multiple versions of one part with the same beginning in the name, so I don't know now which one is which configuration.

Its not a problem I can't deal with, but I thought you guys would like to hear about it

image.png.17f55ae0423542e0b0fe8463c278f313.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Longtoke said:

Agree completely. As soon as Cura updates stop routinely and inexplicably breaking printer profiles etc, I'll be happy to continue testing beta releases. Until then, I can do without the "new" features so I can have a usable slicer. 

You can always go back a version and delete whatever profiles the beta creates. I have never seen a case where installing the beta would destroy profiles already present on the machine.

So yeah; If people don't provide any feedback, we will only focus on Ultimaker printers. At the point that we get bug reports (that contain actionable information), we will strive to solve them. Case in point; We already have a patch release available.

Creating FOSS is a collaboration. You don't have to upgrade, but if people that don't pay me don't put in any effort, why should we?

As for any complaints on how the software currently works; You can also discuss those things with us! By all means post the things that you like / don't like on the github. Discussing workflow (and suggesting new ways it should work) or documenting existing workflow (because it might work as intended, but people don't understand it?) is also a way to contribute to open source. It's not just writing code that is important. Even seemingly simple things like telling people that didn't fill in the bug template to do so will greatly help us (since now it takes up valuable time from developers!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WeberUlti said:

Hi guys,

I like the new 4.7 version, but I found a small small problem:

if the filename of an object is very long there is only the beginning of the name shown in the object list.

In older versions the full name appeared after placing my cursor on the name but not in this version.

My Printobjects are often multiple versions of one part with the same beginning in the name, so I don't know now which one is which configuration.

Its not a problem I can't deal with, but I thought you guys would like to hear about it

image.png.17f55ae0423542e0b0fe8463c278f313.png

Yeah, you're right. Could you post this on github? We prefer to have all issues in the same spot (it decreases the overhead we have to do for it!)

Hello,

on my UM3, 4.7 Cura print over steel glass build holder. No problem to slice, and send to printer wrong dimensions even that object is in "grey" corners ... it ignore physical dimensions/limits of the printer. (self recognised printer)

Unfortunately I have to downgrade, as I have printing deadlines..

Any similar experience ?

Nallath, can you provide the link to github when you tell people to post a bug there? I have no idea where github for the particular spot you want bug reports done actually  is.

Hi,

Good night,

i found that Cura 4.7 don't have the "shared heater" in the configuration of the printers, for example when create a Geeetech A10M.

This cause that always on the tool change the print temperature goes to 0. Because it adds automatically a M104 T0 S0

On 4.6.1 and 4.6.2 this were working great.

So i will go back to the 4.6.2 installing it again.

If this a permanent change, please, explain how to avoid this situation when the tool is changed.

Kind regards,

Capture4.7.JPG

Capture4.6.JPG

Hello @Rabbit-o. Yes, that feature has been disabled by a UM person (see https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/8148 for some further info on this). Personally, I believe that to be a mistake and continue to offer the shared heater setting in my own Cura builds.  

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 4.7 is available!
    26 minutes ago, burtoogle said:

Hello @Rabbit-o. Yes, that feature has been disabled by a UM person (see https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/8148 for some further info on this). Personally, I believe that to be a mistake and continue to offer the shared heater setting in my own Cura builds.  

OMG... "So for the past 6 months the "Shared Heater" function has basically been useless"  Ghostkeeper commented 12 days ago  

That option was working perfect  for the geeetechs!!!  someone is forcing us to change to prusaSlicer or superSlicer... 

Please, send me your url to your cura builds, please... i love this program... but right now, i'm very upset.

Thank you so much burtoogle for you answer... very appreciate.

Rabbit

Edited by Rabbit-o
    give thanks

40 minutes ago, Rabbit-o said:

Please, send me your url to your cura builds

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0

Hey guys--

Scrolled through here to see if my issue was already addressed, and mostly just saw a lot of entitled negativity. I appreciate what you guys do providing a great slicer with frequent updates and support even for people not using Ultimaker hardware.

Anyway my profiles appear to have loaded just fine when upgrading from 4.6 (whatever the latest version of 4.6 was, I don't remember exactly). Thing is, I use Cura on 4 different machines for the same printer, so I make pretty heavy use of the "Cura Backup and Restore" feature to keep my printer profiles, materials, etc. synchronized across all four computers.

After adding a new material and tweaking a couple of my profiles in 4.7 on my primary machine (a Hackintosh running Mojave 10.14.6), I tried to Backup Now, and was given the error message "There was an error while uploading your backup." This persisted even after exiting Cura 4.7 and reopening. Is this a known issue? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

• Like 1

The hiding of the shared heater setting is a knee-jerk reaction based on an incomplete evaluation of the feature's usability. Typical Cura regression, badly conceived and completely untested in the sense that no users were polled to see if they were actually using the feature successfully.

I'm having the same problem trying to upload a backup.  I get the error message.

2 hours ago, burtoogle said:

The hiding of the shared heater setting is a knee-jerk reaction based on an incomplete evaluation of the feature's usability. Typical Cura regression, badly conceived and completely untested in the sense that no users were polled to see if they were actually using the feature successfully.

Decisions like this are those damned if you do, damned if you don't. Leaving it in will make people complain that it's not working, removing it when some people are using it is going to do it as well. I'm a bit disappointed that you're bashing decisions like this. You know that decisions like this (and them going wrong) are a part of software development.

To keep it a bit more constructive; I will discuss it with the team to see if we should re-enable it. I would also appreciate it if we can keep discussion on a normal tone of voice.

4 hours ago, BHuij said:

After adding a new material and tweaking a couple of my profiles in 4.7 on my primary machine (a Hackintosh running Mojave 10.14.6), I tried to Backup Now, and was given the error message "There was an error while uploading your backup." This persisted even after exiting Cura 4.7 and reopening. Is this a known issue? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

It's not a known issue. Could you report this on github?

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 4.7 is available!
    34 minutes ago, nallath said:

Decisions like this are those damned if you do, damned if you don't. Leaving it in will make people complain that it's not working, removing it when some people are using it is going to do it as well. I'm a bit disappointed that you're bashing decisions like this. You know that decisions like this (and them going wrong) are a part of software development.

I'm don't think so, if you change something that is working, for me is working very well. Why you have to hide it? With defects or little errors, at the end was working... and there is a lot of information on internet to solve them for sure.

It is impossible to check from the user point of view all the issues, bugs and control your development team, to avoid this situations.  

For me the correct way of working is to make the improvements only on the printers that the users demands, not for all the printers, and not at 12 days before launching the version. Of course if the printer is with the stock configuration, if the user change it(with volcanoes, two nozzles, and so on), well, have to create other different printer instead of messing with the stock configuration from cura printers and asking you to change the printers profile configurations.

Make announcements before hiding or deleting features, you have all the email addressed of the users when they register and if their are not register, well, they have to assume the risks.

Kind regards

Rabbit-o

Edited by Rabbit-o

30 minutes ago, Rabbit-o said:

I'm don't think so, if you change something that is working, for me is working very well. Why you have to hide it? With defects or little errors, at the end was working... and there is a lot of information on internet to solve them for sure.

The information we had is that it would not work in any given situation. Based on that, it was deemed safer to remove it. I understand that it's not feasible for users to check everything we do, but the reverse is also true; We can't check all situations that the users have.

So for any who want to use 4.7 for now and their only issue is the crash when opening an STL here's the fix:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/8235

24 minutes ago, nallath said:

The information we had is that it would not work in any given situation. Based on that, it was deemed safer to remove it. I understand that it's not feasible for users to check everything we do, but the reverse is also true; We can't check all situations that the users have.

So, 

What should do the users with printers with shared heaters?

What is the work-around to avoid throwing the temp to zero on tool change?

Is there any tutorial on github?

And thanks a lot for your time.

Rabbit-o

1 minute ago, Rabbit-o said:

So, 

What is the work-around to avoid throwing the temp to zero on tool change?

Is there any tutorial on github?

And thanks a lot for your time.

Rabbit-o

I honestly don't know. I've never worked with one, so I can't say anything on what would be needed to get one to work correctly (or even at all).

57 minutes ago, Rabbit-o said:

You could replace the file `plugin/MachineSettingsAction/MachineSettingsPrinterTab.qml  with this version:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ultimaker/Cura/c7e6553dbfb5cdcfbe0ba0e7b263d64062fe0952/plugins/MachineSettingsAction/MachineSettingsPrinterTab.qml

Just wanted to add to the knowledge out there.

I've been using Cura 4.6.1 with an Artillery Genius on Windows 10 for several months and got it tuned very nicely with printer profiles from 3DN and with several material profiles created by myself.

Yesterday after spending most of the day on a new Fusion 360 design, I went to print my new masterpiece (!), saw the invite to update to Cura 4.7, and that's when the pain started.

Experience:-

• version 4.7 installed OK after being 'allowed' to remove my previous installation, but NOT ALLOWED to remove my config files
    • restarted v 4.7, only to be unexpectedly taken through the process of creating a new printer profile
    • none of my material profiles was present
    • set up a new default printer and then went to re-install my 3DN '.curaprofile' files. These generated an error "Could not find a quality type adaptive for the current configuration."
    • Decided to go back to v4.6.1 and that best way to do that was to restore the Windows 10 machine to the last 'restore' status of 9 days ago.
    • Cura 4.6.1 was installed and 4.7 was not - so far, so good. Tried to run 4.6, but no amount of coaxing would make it run. Investigations showed that there were lots of v4.7 files still present in the system

I have spent a few hours now in tracking down remnants of Cura software on my system, and together with frequent re-boots have got a 'fresh' install of v4.6, but it will still not either load my 'curaprofiles', nor has it found my materials presets. I guess there must still be data on my installation somewhere, so I'm now on the long path to recalling all the setups necessary to get my 3D printer back to the quality I'm used to (at the moment I'm trying to solve retraction issues that I never had before).

Having read through the forums, and having requested support from Cura (but told that I don't qualify), I'm still not sure what I should have done differently.  I have really enjoyed using Cura to date, but.....

20 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

You could replace the file `plugin/MachineSettingsAction/MachineSettingsPrinterTab.qml  with this version:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ultimaker/Cura/c7e6553dbfb5cdcfbe0ba0e7b263d64062fe0952/plugins/MachineSettingsAction/MachineSettingsPrinterTab.qml

Thanks you so much ahoeben, the shared heater appeared again.

I will give another try this afternoon, to know if something else has changed in the geeetech A10M configuration. 

Thanks also to nallath, to hear/read us.

Rabbit-o

Capture4.7_new.JPG

Hello everyone,

I'm also having issues with materials since the Cura 4.7 update. All material settings are grayed out and I have no more material in the list.
    Did I do something wrong?
    I have tried reinstalling several times and it is the same.
    Did I forget to tick a box somewhere?
    Thanks for your help.

Yvan

2020-09-01 materials.png