COMBINED SETTINGS IN DEFFERENT LAYERS FOR THE PRINT - INFILL + Spiralize outer contour

Feidias_3D

Posted · COMBINED SETTINGS IN DEFFERENT LAYERS FOR THE PRINT - INFILL + Spiralize outer contour

I would like to set print with different settings in diferent layers. For example if I print shape like glass with stem, then bottom part - stem, base should be printed with wall thickness 1,2mm and infill 40% but upper part - bowl i would like to print like "Spiralize outer contour".

So there should be convenient setting where in diferent layers (upper layers) should be different setting in comparision with layers bellow. Yes, I would like to use these two diferent settings in different layers in one print.

Now I use this hybrid setting if I set bottom layers - (for example bottom layers - 620) and from layer 620 to 1000 there I use setting "Spiralize outer contour". But this print is extremly slow? Another option is print stem and then print upper bowl separately and glue these two parts together.

FANTASIA_PROTOTYP.jpg

Posted · COMBINED SETTINGS IN DEFFERENT LAYERS FOR THE PRINT - INFILL + Spiralize outer contour

"Another option is print stem and then print upper bowl separately and glue these two parts together."

That would work.  Put a 2.25mm hole in the top of the stem and a matching 2.25mm hole in the bottom of the bowl and you can use a piece of filament as a pin for location.

Or - You could slice a model with your first settings (thick wall with infill) and slice the model again with Spiralize.  You then have two Gcode files. One for stem, and one for bowl.  You should use the same layer height for each.

Pick a convenient Z height where the stem meets the bowl.  The Z height must match at the transition.  Let's say it's layer 500.

In the Stem file, delete everything above the transition layer (500).

In the Bowl file, delete all the layers below the transition layer +1 (501) including the opening lines of the gcode.

Paste everything that is left in the Bowl file onto the end of the Stem file.

Your new file has:  your Start-Up Gcode, then Stem up to layer 500, then Bowl from 501 to the rim, and the Ending Gcode.  You need a transition for the E value.

At the start of layer 501 add G92 E??? where the question marks are the first E value of layer 501 (pay attention to the E values as there might be a retraction to account for).

If you want to get fancy, put a Pause in there and you can change colors for the Bowl.

Here is Mrs. Rabbit.  Two files were spliced as explained above.  The stand is thick wall with infill and from about mid-foot up is Sprialized.

DSCN2461.JPG

DSCN2462.JPG

Thank you very much, for your comprehensive explanation.

So you are explaining that I should open gcode files probably in notepad and I should delete parts of these codes and splice/combine these two files. I have never done that to this time. May be I will try it. But I think this is rather complicated. But interesting is what "G92" this kind of code is doing?

It is more tedious than difficult.  After doing it a couple of times it gets less difficult, but never less tedious.

You have probably noticed G92 E0 in your gcode files.  That sets the Extruder to zero.  It can be set to any number.  G92 E1234.5678 would set the E location to that number.  That's how you make the transition from one section of the code to the next.

If you decide to go with location holes and glue the things together, do not put the holes all the way through.  Just sayin'.

Once again thanks. I printed according your explanation - spliced two gcode files - and this is really working. In the end if we have to modify codes in notepads I would like to say: "FRIENDLY USER INTERFACE".

you might also look at the support blocker setting and use modify settings for overlap. It works like this: Load your model into Cura; select support blocker on the left side of the screen; click anywhere on your model; reposition and scale the block to the area you want to separate; select 'modify settings for overlap' from the option above; and modify the settings you wish to modify. Although I believe layer height is not one of the options. If that is the sole reason you are asking this may not be a good answer. 

Also I found explanation about gcode:

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/articles/3d-printing-gcode-tutorial/

Interesting explanation necessary for solving this problém.

"...select 'modify settings for overlap' from the option above"

Nuts.  Vase mode isn't one of the options available.  I suppose there is a basic compatibility issue between fixed layer height and a varying layer height like Spiralize has.  You couldn't do it on the left side of a model and not on the right.

Back to Tedium ad Naseum.

Feidias_3D (did your parents really name you that?)  If the Gcode file is smallish (under 1,048,000 lines) you can open it in MSExcel as a "space delimited" text file.  Sometimes it's easier when you can copy and paste to another column to make your changes.  Remember to erase all extraneous comments before "saving as" an MS-DOS text file.  You can change the file name extension to .gcode afterwards.