Ryzen CPU crash still occuring in 4.7

Posted · Ryzen CPU crash still occuring in 4.7

After opening Cura my PC guaranteed to crash, it might be in 10 minutes, it might be 2 hours but it will happen. A complete crash too, can't even reboot without turning the power off and on at the PSU, it's quite impressive. Have read that others with AMD CPU's have had this same problem in other forum posts so I assume this is a known issue?

Processor    AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Six-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB

BaseBoard Product    ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING

GPU: Aorus GTX 1080

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, I have the exact same issue, nearly identical specs to you other than a GTX 1070 and 48 GB of RAM.

I find closing all other apps gives me enough time to quickly slice an object and export the Gcode. I can't leave Cura Running for any extended periods of time. I keep hoping for a fix with every new release, but it must be a tricky bug to catch :(

• 3 months later...

Hello every one,

i encountered  the same problem. It was sometimes so bad it happened every 5 to 10 min so i could not get my slicing done...  But maybe i found a solution for that. Not sure right now but Cura is running for about 2 hours or so in the background and since now it looks good... Ok what i have done is to disable an option in the CPU Bios settings which is called

"NX Mode"...Quote:"NX is basically equivalent to Intel's "Disable Execute Bit" option, prevents things being executed in memory that is marked as non-executable. Execute Disable Bit (EDB) is an Intel hardware-based security feature that can help reduce system exposure to viruses and malicious code. EDB allows the processor to classify areas in memory where application code can or cannot execute."

I dont know if this is needed to be enabled in the Bios settings,  so for that i have to research a bit more.

But i will let you know if my Pc crashes again. 

So far... 

Processor    AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 

RAM   32.0 GB

Mainboard  ROG STRIX x470-F GAMING

GPU: Aorus 1080ti waterforce extrem edition

System    Win 10 Pro

Update: Ok guys forget that with NX Mode... Pc crashed again... And also another hint wich i found in this forum to add "force_empty_shader_cache = True" in cura.cfg under [View] did not work... I will look for another slicer now...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Figured I may as well drop in my 2 cents. I have had issues for a while with Cura crashing my whole computer, followed all the tricks and hacks the community puts out, and none of it worked. Truly dark days.

Well, after updating my MoBo firmware, I reinstalled windows from scratch and updated to windows 11. Now, Cura runs like a dream. I dont know if it was the firmware updates, the clean install of windows 10, or the windows 11 upgrade, but something in that pot did the trick. I haven't closed Cura for over a week!

Hope that is helpful.

Posted (edited) · Ryzen CPU crash still occuring in 4.7

SAME EXACT problem here! The funny part is i also use Cura LE (lulzbot edition) and it runs fine. UNLESS i add another printer profile to Cura LE  Cura was crashing with the move of my mouse! I have a Windows surface pro with AMD Ryzen and its totally stressing! I actually got the 5.3.0 beta and it ran beautiful for about 6 hrs. Then, back to crashing and freezing every 2 seconds! I dont really like Prusa slicer but im close to having to switch. Ive contacted support multiple times but nothing has changed! THERES GOT TO BE A SOLUTION!

Edited by sevin13