Cura 4.7 Failing to Slice

J0sh

Posted · Cura 4.7 Failing to Slice

I've just installed Cura 4.7 and am having issues slicing a part that I designed using Fusion 360. In Fusion, I purposely made the part 219mm as the widest part (had already tried it at 220mm and got the same error) since I'm using a Creality Ender 3 Pro with a build plate of 220x220x250mm. 

I did already check and my settings do say 220mm x 220mm x 250mm for the build plate and I can get it to slice objects that significantly smaller than the 220mm limit. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. If there's some sort of tolerance that I'm pushing against and need to shrink my build further, that wouldn't be ideal, but I'd love to know if that's the case. 

Oh, additionally, I did try to set my print bed settings to 230mm x 230mm x 250mm to see if I could force Cura to slice and that didn't work either, so I set it back to the default of 220. 

failure to slice.jpg

CE3_Top Rear Drawer Divider 220mm version.3mf CE3_Top Rear Drawer Divider 219mm version.3mf smaller object for reference.3mf

This has to do with some disallowed areas that are added to the printer. Those are the bars that you can see on the front and the back of the buildplate. If I remember correctly, these were added because it was part of the build volume, but not actually reachable by all ender-3 printers.

Ok, so if I just keep increasing the build plate parameters, I should eventually find what works for my printer (I know I can print 220mm because I’ve done it before)?

58 minutes ago, J0sh said:

Ok, so if I just keep increasing the build plate parameters, I should eventually find what works for my printer (I know I can print 220mm because I’ve done it before)?

Those disallowed areas can't easily be changed in the interface though. So just increasing the build volume won't solve it.

1 minute ago, nallath said:

Those disallowed areas can't easily be changed in the interface though. So just increasing the build volume won't solve it.

Ok, maybe you can clarify for me then. My understanding was that 220x220x250 was the limit to what the Ender 3 could print with the metal clips that come with the printer to hold the plates onto the bed (and with those clips removed, you/I should be able to print larger items). If my build is within the minimum build area, why couldn't Cura allow me to print something that my printer is easily capable of printing? 

Posted (edited) · Cura 4.7 Failing to Slice

... yes it can, but you have to change the restricted area in the settings of the printer... Changing the dimensions of the printbed in Printer settings doesn't change the restricted area!

If you change the printer type from Ender 3 to Ender 3 Pro, you can see a change in restricted area of the printbed! If you want to make the restricted area smaller you have to edit a file... This is all explained in another topic on this forum, use the search-option of the forum to find it...

Edit -->

Edited by Mari
    Added link to another topic!
    • Like 1

If you compare the creality_ender3.def.json and creality_ender3pro.def.json file you will see that there is less disallowed area in the Ender 3 Pro... so changing from Ender 3 to Ender 3 Pro will help!

Don't forget that if you have "skirt" activated, you have less buildplate volume, because the skirt has to be within the buildplate volume....