Firmware 5.8.0 is now available

SandervG

Posted · Firmware 5.8.0 is now available

5 hours ago, sj3fk3 said:

We are also not in the US 😉 Ultimaker is a Dutch company, so I think we are "neighbors" 😉

True. I often drive by there when I go to Belgium.

5 hours ago, sj3fk3 said:

LOL, I will try, espresso cappuccino? 

Difficult. If I write cappuccino now the others want espresso. Better we keep the printer working.

4 hours ago, BiMNrd said:

This is not normal is it?

No. Normally this only takes a few minutes. But I do this via USB. So I know which version is loaded and I can archive the old versions as a fallback. Because the problems usually come outside normal business hours.

On 9/4/2020 at 6:31 PM, BiMNrd said:

My printer gets stuck updating - showing 2 mins remaining but 45 mins have gone by..

This is not normal is it?

Nope it's not normal, try rebooting the printer and let us know if you get stuck again!

Posted (edited) · Firmware 5.8.0 is now available
    On 9/4/2020 at 4:18 PM, SandervG said:

Hello, it is actually optimized to do certain processes together to save time. The print cores heat up first to prime the filament to make sure the nozzle is ready to print. This is the strings of filament you see being dropped in the build volume. When it has run through it steps, the machine is certain the filament is loaded, so it can cool down. If it would stay hot, you would get oozing. Oozing is molten filament dripping out of the nozzle, resulting in too little pressure, which would require new priming, or you would get an under extruded first layer. It is possible that it heats up again right before the active leveling procedure, so if there would be any filament hanging on the tip, it wouldn't undermine the active leveling. But it quickly stops again, because we don't want oozing and the previous step just tried to ensure there is no solidified material hanging on the tip of the nozzle. 

Hope this helps understanding the entire process a little bit better. Let me know if you have any further questions or if I missed a step. Thanks! 

Okey.

But please also look ak the Material Consumption bug.

I want to know how much of each material was used without exporting and reading an csv... and its just not working....-> shows 15g

If I export the CSV and calculate it together i printed about 2000 gramms since my last cura connect reset.

But as shown the value on the webserver is not correct.

Edited by Jonas98

It's quite weird. Until now, I've always had problems like this. But the 5.8 version seems to work fine for me.

Exception: I still have connection interruptions (Ethernet) in both CURA and DF. And when you switch, a lot of material is still wasted. But it must be like that.

Roli

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 1:29 PM, fsaraji said:

I thank you for your response. Appreciated. However, I am definitely and exclusively using Ultimaker Filaments and they are all equiped with NFC chips, but still the problem exists and the unload button is grayed out, so I cannot change the filament, except I change to another Type or Color.

The "parking above the head" function is generally a good feature, however (at least in my case) the filaments parks over 15cm aboove the head and I can see the top of the filament in the boden. Is that correct? Was this intended so?

All together, the new Firmware (5.8.0) generally doesn't seem to me mature enough for a release, since, as you can see in this post, there are so many issues with it.

I hope we can get an update very soon, which fixes all that issues because we all need our machines and currently it is not really possible to keep working with them.

Is there a chance to get a hot-fix for the "manual Load/unload" problem? I need to change my PVA against BreakAway in the same head 2 but I cannot unload PVA. The buttons are gayed out.

Even, when I change the print head to AA, it doesn't unload the PVA.

This is very annoying and a serious problem.

17 minutes ago, fsaraji said:

Is there a chance to get a hot-fix for the "manual Load/unload" problem? I need to change my PVA against BreakAway in the same head 2 but I cannot unload PVA. The buttons are gayed out.

Yes, we are working on 5.8.1 (expect within 2-3 weeks) that will have unload and also contains some bugfixes that did not make 5.8.

Even, when I change the print head to AA, it doesn't unload the PVA.

Yes, we are also going to fix that. Might not be in 5.8.1, but will then be in the release right after that one.

This is very annoying and a serious problem.

That's clear. Thanks for the feedback!

On 9/7/2020 at 11:58 PM, BiMNrd said:

I had to reset all printer settings to get this working. but it work now. 

What Ultimaker needs to fix is their spotty wifi connection.

Yes, we are working on that.. Together with upgrading the OS the printer is using, that's why it taking some time. But it does have our attention.

We appreciate that, since Wifi connectivity was a big determining factor in our purchase here at the our shop.

• Like 1

Hi,

there is another issue with 5.80, you may want to take care of.

1) Material recognition doesn't work properly. You sometimes need mutiple times to insert and release the filament to get it recognized.

2) When the material is in use, S5 some times cannot recognize the left amount of filament. As you can see in my screen shot, the PVA is in use, but the left amount in unknown.

IMG_1858.jpeg

6 minutes ago, fsaraji said:

there is another issue with 5.80, you may want to take care of.

1) Material recognition doesn't work properly. You sometimes need mutiple times to insert and release the filament to get it recognized.

2) When the material is in use, S5 some times cannot recognize the left amount of filament. As you can see in my screen shot, the PVA is in use, but the left amount in unknown.

This is not 5.8 specific we identified this behaviour in previous versions as well and started investigating the root cause. We think we have found the root cause and will address this soon (after we fix "manual unloading" and some other bugs). If you make sure all your spools are aligned to the left of the bay it does work better.

23 hours ago, sj3fk3 said:

Yes, we are working on 5.8.1 (expect within 2-3 weeks) that will have unload and also contains some bugfixes that did not make 5.8.

Yes, we are also going to fix that. Might not be in 5.8.1, but will then be in the release right after that one.

That's clear. Thanks for the feedback!

Ok, this is great to have the 5.8.1 within next 3 weeks to address all that issues. However, the fact that there no way of unloading the filament makes the machine unusable for the next 3 weeks.

So, what should we do? I need to use the machine every day, since we have projects waiting for results.

Is there a way just to un-gray the "unload" button in an intermediate version? it is really essential and much more urgent to wait 2-3 weeks for.

thanks

58 minutes ago, fsaraji said:

Ok, this is great to have the 5.8.1 within next 3 weeks to address all that issues. However, the fact that there no way of unloading the filament makes the machine unusable for the next 3 weeks.

So, what should we do? I need to use the machine every day, since we have projects waiting for results.

Is there a way just to un-gray the "unload" button in an intermediate version? it is really essential and much more urgent to wait 2-3 weeks for.

thanks

If it is such a blocking issue for you and you had a good workflow before, you might want to consider to roll back a firmware version until 5.8.1 has been released. That way you can return to the way that worked for you.

4 minutes ago, SandervG said:

If it is such a blocking issue for you and you had a good workflow before, you might want to consider to roll back a firmware version until 5.8.1 has been released. That way you can return to the way that worked for you.

Yes, this is what I intend to do. I already asked in my prior posts, how to do that. Unfortunately I didn't get any response.

Posted (edited) · Firmware 5.8.0 is now available

I am so glad I found this thread.  I posted a [lengthy] message yesterday describing my issue (with videos).

I have all of the same experiences here...can't unload material using the button on the material station or with the touch screen...but I am having a different issue then mentioned above which is an unknown error at the end of every successful print.  I get this screen each time and have to reboot the printer manually.

IMG_1004.thumb.jpeg.15ecc80a9f1bd5025171a611ef8f1458.jpeg

I even caught it on video (seen at the end of the video):

I would love to know that this may be part of the bugs in 5.8.0 and not exclusive to me.  I don't like to be alone with these issues.

Is my unknown error something you have seen with this firmware?

Edited by chuckmcgee

It may seem irrelevant, but it isn't. Does your Ultimaker S5 have a U or a robot on the side? If it has a robot, you can download this file, put it on a USB and you should be able to install it via the interface:

If it has a U you should download this file and put it on a USB and install via the interface:

3 minutes ago, chuckmcgee said:

I am so glad I found this thread.  I posted a [lengthy] message yesterday describing my issue (with videos).

I have all of the same experiences here...can't unload material using the button on the material station or with the touch screen...but I am having a different issue then mentioned above which is an unknown error at the end of every successful print.

I get this screen each time and have to reboot the printer manually.

IMG_1004.thumb.jpeg.15ecc80a9f1bd5025171a611ef8f1458.jpeg

I even caught it on video.

I would love to know that this may be part of the bugs in 5.8.0 and not exclusive to me.  I don't like to be alone with these issues.

Is my unknown error something you have seen with this firmware?

It seems to me, that it has to do with "Tool Change" action. Did you check your 2nd print head to be right in place?

Beside that, I would re-calibrate the tool change position.

And after all, try to re-install the firmware. I had it a few times, that the first firmware update created weird behavior and I had to install the Firmware a 2nd time.

2 minutes ago, SandervG said:

It may seem irrelevant, but it isn't. Does your Ultimaker S5 have a U or a robot on the side? If it has a robot, you can download this file, put it on a USB and you should be able to install it via the interface:

If it has a U you should download this file and put it on a USB and install via the interface:

Mine has the robot...I got the S5 close to it's release...only got the air handler and material station a couple days ago.  So excited (just hoping to iron these issues out).

I will get this file installed as soon as my 4-hour test print is completed.  Do I just choose to "upgrade firmware" to install it?

3 minutes ago, fsaraji said:

It seems to me, that it has to do with "Tool Change" action. Did you check your 2nd print head to be right in place?

Beside that, I would re-calibrate the tool change position.

And after all, try to re-install the firmware. I had it a few times, that the first firmware update created weird behavior and I had to install the Firmware a 2nd time.

Thanks.  I will take a look.  The print head seem to be secure and in place.  I will first try the file @SandervG suggested...then check this.

If you are referring to the "Lift switch" calibration...I did that...I also re-installed the 5.8.0 firmware three times...twice over the network (once on wifi and once wired) and the last time using the USB.  No luck.

35 minutes ago, chuckmcgee said:

I will first try the file @SandervG suggested.

My file would install a previous firmware version; 5,7.3. That is the one before 5.8, which you are on now. 

8 minutes ago, SandervG said:

My file would install a previous firmware version; 5,7.3. That is the one before 5.8, which you are on now. 

Thank you.  Last question (for now)...does this suggest that, on this firmware, if I can complete a print successfully without the unknown error occurring - perhaps it could be related to the firmware?

I do know about the mystery of the 998 error...just curious what to look for after doing this.

18 hours ago, chuckmcgee said:

Thank you.  Last question (for now)...does this suggest that, on this firmware, if I can complete a print successfully without the unknown error occurring - perhaps it could be related to the firmware?

I do know about the mystery of the 998 error...just curious what to look for after doing this.

see: 

Other problem:

I have in PC1 Generic PLA or Extrudr GreenTec Pro. In PC2 Original UM BreakAway.

If I want to print with both PCs (also PLA and BA), after the initialization the material in PC1 is taken until the PC. The material in PC2 (UM BreakAway) is in position 5cm above the PC. All things where made (nivelling, etc.). 

Then the print start with PC1. After the first layer, the PC will be changed to PC2, the material in the bowden tube 2 is bring to PC2 and immediatly, the prints with PC2 starts.

Question: Why this is like it is? Before 5.8.0, both materials where taken to the PC1 AND PC2. Both materials where used for "pre printing routine". Now, only PC1 works.

Roland

Hello all.

As a matter of follow up,  I have done about 3 more prints, each lasting 12 hours or more…I have used spool slots A, B, and D, in the subsequent prints - each with Ultimaker ABS (the same as before), and the error has not returned.  Things seem to be fine as it relates to this odd error.

I have seen the behavior other people are reporting with the filament eject buttons being unresponsive, but that seems to be confirmed as a shortcoming of the 5.8.0 firmware (and something I can live with until the next firmware).

I am going to go ahead and call this issue resolved for now.  I didn’t do anything since seeing the errors, but the issue has gone away.  Each successful print now shows the “Confirm Removal” button with a green circled checkmark on the touch screen.

Thank you for your follow ups. 

Once again, fabulous community response!

On 9/11/2020 at 4:28 AM, sj3fk3 said:

see: 

• Like 1