Where to get 6 mm plywood to make replacement for defective left panel?

aviphysics

Posted · Where to get 6 mm plywood to make replacement for defective left panel?

They completely updated the instructions with almost all new photos and made it a lot better this past year (2013) but of course it can always use an improvement. I think if it was updated with tricks used by people who actually assemble many machines then that would help.

The thing is, the vast majority of us have only assembled one Ultimaker. Ultimaker on the other hand sells assembled units, so surely someone at Ultimaker has assembled dozens, if not hundreds of them. It seems like no one would no more about all the various defects, work arounds, and the easiest way to put an Ultimaker together.

• Replies 91
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Where to get 6 mm plywood to make replacement for defective left panel?

Hi Avi,

What progress have you made with your frame?

With filing some parts, have you managed to successfully put it together?

We build a lot of Ultimakers yes, but we run into fairly little problems, I can say rarely, when it comes to the dimensions of the frame.

We are going to review the instructions for the Ultimaker Original and create a more organized version with instructions and tips&tricks. This was already on the planning.

I am looking forward hearing what the current status of your Ultimaker is and if there is anything I can still help you with.

With enough filing, you can make anything fit into anything. I had to file the bottom two left front pins down substantially. It fits together, though it wobbles a little on the counter.

What did you find when you tried to slot a left panel into a front panel? Did all the pins fit? How did your measurements compare to the ones I made? If you rarely have problems with the machines fitting together, then it seems like something must be defective with the panels I received, because they definitely had problems.

My main concern is how well the z axis is aligned to the x,y plane, because I don't see any adjustment for that and if it is off, tall objects would be skewed. I don't think I have gotten the machine tuned up well enough to test for this yet.

Earlier this week I promised to upload some pictures of the framework we have lying around here.

DSC 0118

DSC 0119

DSC 0120

The very first ones I picked, could click them together without any force required.

I took 3 pictures, and I hope they illustrate how well they fit.

If you want me to take another picture from a certain angle, let me know Avi!

If you need any further help, also feel free to ask.

I hope you have a great weekend,

Thanks Sanderv.

So it seems like my panels have some sort of problem, because even the ones that did fit took a lot of force to snap together, and the left side of the front panel needed to be modified to fit at all.

So Avi ... it sounds like you already built your printer and have already made some prints. Do you still want a complete set of panels and will you take your printer apart and move it to the new panels or is that too much work and you will just live with what you have?

@GR5

It is always going to bug me that the panels aren't quite right and it will always bug me that UM should have enough evidence by now to know the panels aren't right. Whenever I have a problem getting the angles to come out right on a part, I will have to wonder whether it is because the frame is warped.

If I got new panels, I would happily rebuild the machine, so that I would know that it is put together correctly and that anything that doesn't come out right is my fault.

Additionally, with the way the parts fit together currently, it would be impossible to disassemble the machine without destroying the panels. This would mean that if I wanted to try something like making an extra tall machine with custom panels (which is part of my long term plans), I would never be able to go back to the original panels without making them myself.

I think if you ask nicely sander will send you a new set then. But ask sander directly. Click on his nickname in this thread and send him a direct message.

I think if you ask nicely sander will send you a new set then. But ask sander directly. Click on his nickname in this thread and send him a direct message.

I tried to PM Sanderv about sending replacement panels, but my account has not yet been validated, so I can't.

Your forum account? This "aviphysics" account?

Try clicking in the top right corner where it says "aviphysics" then look through those options for a validation option. It should send an email to the email you registered (edited for privacy):

**homa*@tha***ec*.com

If you can't figure it out, I can email you I suppose and try to do it from my end - not sure how though.

Besides PM I can also read the actual forum :)

What is your current status for your Ultimaker?

Are you looking for a new laser pack to replace the one you have now?

Try clicking in the top right corner where it says "aviphysics" then look through those options for a validation option. It should send an email to the email you registered (edited for privacy):

**homa*@tha***ec*.com

If you can't figure it out, I can email you I suppose and try to do it from my end - not sure how though.

I had figured that out, but when I followed the link in the e-mail, it said I had to wait for admin approval.

Hi Sanderv, I would really appreciate the replacement laser pack. I really want this machine to reach its full potential and trying to compensate for the warped frame is killing it for me.

I send you a PM :)

I don't think aviphysics put in his correct email. I tried emailing him but no luck. Did you convert him to a "member" sander? Or did he do the activation on his own? I will delete this post once I learn what happened.

A triangle? forget it. Still easy. Try this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:33902

I don't think aviphysics put in his correct email. I tried emailing him but no luck. Did you convert him to a "member" sander? Or did he do the activation on his own? I will delete this post once I learn what happened.

I gave him direct message permission yes.