UM2 Frame not Level (Rocks)

tomm

Posted · UM2 Frame not Level (Rocks)

My UM2 was delivered today from Makershed. I've carefully unpacked everything, but right away I noticed that the front, left, bottom corner of my unit is 2.25mm off of the table. The unit is heavy, so it sits to the rear; however, I can slide the entire UM2 manual, less only the front cover, underneath the front left side to keep it from rocking (pushing gently down on the top left corner will allow a major rocking motion.

I searched and couldn't find this issue. I haven't removed the nylon ties or finished the setup yet, but I want to! I took a torpedo level and checked everything over. The table is level, and I did move and rotate the UM2 around the table, but it didn't change a thing.

The level shows that the aluminum bed inside is level. The rear and left sides of the frame are level, but the front and right sides indicate the front RIGHT side is too low... significantly. The "eyeball test" agrees that it isn't the front left that is raised, rather it is the front right that is too low. Is this adjustable? My concern is not having stability during printing (and that I received a unit that isn't quite right). The test print that arrived with the unit looks decent, so I could probably get started. I am a little disappointed that the whole things looks (and is) twisted.

Has anyone seen this issue first hand or read of the same situation? What do you recommend?

Thank you!

Tom

Mine also has the front left a few mm off the table. I'm getting pretty good results from it, so it probably won't make any material difference to yours, either.

I'm actually planning on putting some rubber-padded feet in the corners of mine, so I'll adjust those to level it up.

Thanks illuminarti. The unit is pretty heavy towards the rear, so maybe it won't matter. I'd like to hear from UM2 support as to whether this is adjustable or not, since it looks like the front right needs to come up and not shim the front left. I'll do that for now though.

You've been a big help. I was having a hard time finding who appeared to be a reliable filament source in the USA, until I came across the resources page on your blog. I ended up ordering a few additional spools from ProtoParadigm based simply on the fact you had them listed. So, thanks for your indirect help as well!

Haha, ok, good deal. I have several of their filaments, and it's pretty good. Another really good source in the US is printbl.com (who sell Diamond Age filaments) - and you might also look at printedsolid.com, who are the distributors for Colorfabb in the US.

Same here, the front left is about 0,5 to 1 mm in the air.

But the printer works fine.

I've printed some feet, where i put a little paper in. Under the feed there some rubber feets.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1578/ikz8.jpg

I searched for unit leveling in the forums but mostly the results were about automatic bed leveling. My question /suggestion are there plans for automatic unit leveling (i.e. on a crooked table) that can notify the maker/user that its at an angle. Has anyone had this become an issue? I releveled the print bed when i started getting base layer lift off, eventually found that the table was the culprit (or so i think). By adjusting the table I've reduced the % of failures on the first couple layers.