Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

S5 Won't release material after print has finished!

Posted · S5 Won't release material after print has finished!

Okay, there's been a software upgrade, or should that be downgrade or sidegrade? Upgrades suggests to me things get better, but alas the S5 firmware 5.8.0 shows just how little contact the developers must have with real-world printers.

The idea is simple enough. Don't swap out material after a print because it can be likely that the very next run will require the same material. The execution of that idea is another Ultimaker disaster: the firmware refuses to let go of the material for some time (probably about an hour or two - haven't timed it yet (too much energy sapped by the lame firmware).

The stupidest question anyone can ask a poster in a forum is "Why would you want to do that?" So if your one of those helpful people, please leave the room. The grown-ups want to talk.

The Material Station fails to identify which material is loaded - even though all reels are supplied by Ultimaker with their NFC/RFID stickers in place. It can't tell the difference between white and orange PLA, thinking that two reels of the same colour are loaded. Or it can simply refuse to recognize a material as seen in one of my photos attached. It is caused by a flawed design that makes this particular device not fit for purpose. The only work-around is to pull reels from the Station before inserting the a new material you want to print with. Kind of defeats having a nest of six reels when you keep having to take them out because they keep getting mis-identified or ignored. Ultimaker's reps have essentially refused to fix this serious design flaw, well they can't.

So my request to those part-time firmware newbies is please, please, please give us a facility to unload a material that is reported "in use" when it's not. So I can work around the screw up in the Material Station which forces me to swap out reels in order to clear the decks for RFID stickers to be recognised correctly (because it's the only one in the M Station.

IMG_0713 whos white PLA failed to be recognised even though it is one bay away from any other reel. Bay three is blocked by that orange PLA.

Cura isn't much help either it see's double. It has no concept of the Materials Station - something that is insane when you think about it. Because if you could say to Cura - please use the material in bay one - it would allow for another work-around. Poor software design again.

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

Cura-Seeing-Double.png

On 9/7/2020 at 10:41 PM, Programify said:

It can't tell the difference between white and orange PLA, thinking that two reels of the same colour are loaded. Or it can simply refuse to recognize a material as seen in one of my photos attached.

Uh. Your picture literally shows that it recognised the orange PLA as well.. Orange?

If you subsequently send a print to the printer that needs to be printed with generic PLA, it will just select any pla (since that is what you asked for).

Anyhow, I will leave the room, since I'm probably not grown up enough for this 😉

The yellow exclamation mark on the display means that the automatic detection did not work.

In this case I unload the filament and plug it in again. At some point, it eats it. Place the roll on the left wall. This works best.

If you select the material type manually, it becomes generic with an undefined color.

The view in Cura shows the possible combinations. The "1" is representative for core "1". Generic is always shown in color. Transparent or white would be easier to understand but is bad for the view when slicing.

In the thread to the firmware it was written, that it should be possible to unload the material in the next version.

I am a software developer myself and therefore a bad user. I understand your annoyance. But I don't understand why you go crazy over such a little thing and write wild things.  Basically, everyone here does their job. The only problem is communication. But even that got better recently.

• Like 1