Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Warriorclub

Any way to use support AND bridging?

Posted (edited) · Any way to use support AND bridging?

Hi everyone. 

I am still learning the ropes on Cura and was wondering if it was possible to use bridging and  support.  It seems like you can only do one or the other.  For instance I have an object that has supports for overhangs but when printing it only goes on support mode.  Is there a way to also make cura do bridging mode on top of the support for extra straight lines?  

I don't want to leave a small gap for supports because they are hard to remove yet they are still needed because some parts don't have two columns between for bridging, but that would leave alot of sag where the layers would droop down.  BUT I also wish cura would be able to do bridging mode when the object starts printing above the finished support.

Edited by Warriorclub

Posted · Any way to use support AND bridging?

In Cura 4.7 you can manually add support where it is needed.

CHEP has a nice video on how to use the feature

@Warriorclub - a sketch or screenshot of what you are describing would be helpful.  I read it twice and not sure what you mean.  You can add support wherever you want or remove it wherever you want in cura (video above).  You can also add supports in CAD especially if you are the one designing the part.  There are also a huge amount of bridging features that are in an alternate version of Cura but I hesitate to tell you about those without understanding your question better.

Thanks. I know its a bit confusing. The question is basically can cura go into bridge mode while printing on top of a support. 

I think cura will consider it still a bridge even with support (if it the support was generated by Cura and not in your CAD).  Did you just try it to see what happens?  It's easy to do a quick test in cura and then look at the result in layer view.

20 minutes ago, gr5 said:

I think cura will consider it still a bridge even with support

I don't think it does. Help us out, @burtoogle

Yeah. I tried bridge mode on top of support but it doesnt do that. Only bridges on top of infill. I know some people had "problems" with cura going on bridge mode on top of supports but that is exactly what i want to do.