S5 issue with Material Manager - Unknown error after every successful print

chuckmcgee

Posted (edited) · S5 issue with Material Manager - Unknown error after every successful print

Hello all,

I just received my air handler and material station a couple days ago.

I have printed a few things successfully with Ultimaker ABS…but I can’t get the print to end gracefully.  Each time the print ends, I get the following error:
IMG_1004.thumb.jpeg.7301325406b9fc0683af8efeee0ebae3.jpeg

At the end of a 14-hour print, I decided to video the end of it to see if it would happen again - and it did.  It has happened each time.  Here is that video:

You will notice that the filament begins to pull back away from the hot end and it stops in the Bowden tube right as the Ultimaker displays that error.  I am not sure if it’s normal for the filament to stop at that point, but I am unable to get that spool feeder (A in this case) to respond to the eject button.  Nothing works, the unload button and the eject button are either greyed out or unresponsive, respectively.

Here is a video at attempts to unload the filament using the interface after reboot.  (Also notice that, upon starting after the hard shut down), the printer shows the print was successful and allows me to confirm removal.  Even the app on my phone confirms it completed successfully.

IMG_1009.thumb.png.7ee3966fc71cc1cbefa5393758f84cd1.png

Here is a video showing the success notification and in my inability to eject the filament gracefully:

At this point, the only thing I can do is to forcibly restart the printer.  Doing so, forces me to have to open the lever on the feeder in the back of the printer and pull it out physically.  What’s more, I can no longer use the menu system to swap the core in slot 1, the core that was used for this print.  When I choose to UNLOAD or CHANGE, it moves the head to the center of the bed, into position to have me open the front door, but the printer never prompts me to…just hangs.  I again have to reboot.

The only way I could get past this point was to reset the printer settings back to default.

I am hoping you can help me here.

To verify my settings, I am running the latest firmware of 5.8.0.  I have reinstalled using the network and, the last time, was with USB.

I have tried connecting to the printer with wifi and, my default, wired…both produce these results each time.

I would love to know what else I can do here.  This is beyond frustrating and feeling nervous about the sizable investment.

Edited by chuckmcgee
embedded videos instead of links

Posted · S5 issue with Material Manager - Unknown error after every successful print

This is exactly what I observed with version 5.8.0.

Afterwards I pulled the main plug on the MS. But nothing more.

Unloading happens automatically after 2 hours or when changing the material by another print job.

Ultimaker wants to fix this problem in the next two versions.

I've only had the error once before. But fortunately not the error when changing the print core.

• Like 1

Posted · S5 issue with Material Manager - Unknown error after every successful print

The ER998 is something to look into, it is a difficult ER message in that regard. It is good to have it logged in our support systems and to get our product experts involved too.

Regarding removing material, in the release notes of this firmware we describe that filament will not be retracted entirely anymore, because a significant amount of people print with the same 1, 2 or 3 materials and it would save some time unloading/loading and it is for the better for the filament, to run it less passed those feeders all the time. 

The option to manually trigger the unload will be added in the next firmware version, I believe this was a slight oversight. Can you test what happens if you start a new print, and just leave the filament there after a print? I think it should switch it out for the new one, or continue with the filament that is parked. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SandervG said:

The ER998 is something to look into, it is a difficult ER message in that regard. It is good to have it logged in our support systems and to get our product experts involved too.

Yes, er998 is a so called uncaught exception, that means something went wrong and the system had no way of "catching" this situation, the trouble with it is: It can be all sorts of things.. In the last couple of months (and in version 5.8) we have already solved a couple of causes for er998, but not all.. So working with support to give us the logfiles greatly helps us finding the root causes.

Hello all.

As a matter of follow up,  I have done about 3 more prints, each lasting 12 hours or more…I have used spool slots A, B, and D, in the subsequent prints - each with Ultimaker ABS (the same as before), and the error has not returned.  Things seem to be fine as it relates to this odd error.

I have seen the behavior other people are reporting with the filament eject buttons being unresponsive, but that seems to be confirmed as a shortcoming of the 5.8.0 firmware (and something I can live with until the next firmware).

I am going to go ahead and call this issue resolved for now.  I didn’t do anything since seeing the errors, but the issue has gone away.  Each successful print now shows the “Confirm Removal” button with a green circled checkmark on the touch screen.

Thank you for your follow ups. 

Once again, fabulous community response!

• Like 1

I have been facing the similar kind of problem. There's the material stuck in the Bowden tube and there's no way to remove it. 

It's constantly throwing the ER60 and asking to reboot. I have also gone through the Error description for the ER60 on the Ultimaker Support. In the troubleshooting steps, it's asking to manually removing the filament from the starting point but I cannot do this. 

See the attached pictures.

I am the beginner at doing the troubleshooting for the 3D Printer so please let me know the step by step process if anyone can.

Pic 1.jpeg

Pic 2.jpeg

Pic 3.jpeg

Pic 4.jpeg