Intial Layer Horizontal Expansion not working...

radyeus

Posted (edited) · Intial Layer Horizontal Expansion not working...

So I have been experimenting with the new Initial Layer Horizontal Expansion to get rid of my small Elephants foot issue.    I printed the 20mm calibration cube with (-0.5mm, -1.0mm and -2.0mm) settings and all three cubes came out identical still with the foot.  The width at the foot is 20.65mm and 19.85mm for the rest of the walls.   

Have I misunderstood the settings?

PS.   double checked and Horizontal Expansion is at 0mm.

Cura 4.7.1

Ender 3 Pro

Glass bed

Edited by radyeus

Posted · Intial Layer Horizontal Expansion not working...

In the Cura preview you should be able to see that the first layer is smaller than the second layer (especially with it set to -1).

I haven't had any problem getting it to work (same printer as yours).  I keep it at -.25.  If there is another setting that could interfere with Initial Layer Horizontal Expansion I'm not aware of it (but there are a lot of things about Cura I'm not aware of).

Initial Layer Horizontal Expansion works exactly as GregValiant says, it just makes the first layer smaller when using a negative value. I also use it in every print to get rid of the elephant foot. I use -0.3

• 3 months later...
    Posted (edited) · Intial Layer Horizontal Expansion not working...
    On 9/15/2020 at 12:13 AM, radyeus said:

So I have been experimenting with the new Initial Layer Horizontal Expansion to get rid of my small Elephants foot issue.    I printed the 20mm calibration cube with (-0.5mm, -1.0mm and -2.0mm) settings and all three cubes came out identical still with the foot.  The width at the foot is 20.65mm and 19.85mm for the rest of the walls.   

Have I misunderstood the settings?

PS.   double checked and Horizontal Expansion is at 0mm.

Cura 4.7.1

Ender 3 Pro

Glass bed

Hi @radyeus

I'm finding exactly the same thing, same printer,  except with Cura 4.8.

When I make "Initial Layer Horizontal Expansion" positive, I see the results in Preview.

But making it negative, even -2mm, nothing happens with Preview, and the actual print still has elephants foot.

Edited by 877

Just now I tried -2mm for ILHE and it worked fine.

Can  you show a screenshot please?  Sometimes if the part is only touching the bottom layer a little, setting ILHE to -2 can totally remove the bottom layer which then moves the part down a layer and it may look the same as before but the bottom layer isn't printing at all now.

Even better do "file" "save..." and that will create a project file with your STL in it and positioned/scaled how you did and with your printer's machine settings and your settings.  All in one file so I can test it out myself.  Post the resultant file here.