Perfectly fitting UM side closure (due to small fan setup)

Posted · Perfectly fitting UM side closure (due to small fan setup)

Hi again!!!

Due to the new fan shroud (see post http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3446-um2-like-fand-duct-for-um1/)

I saved a lot of space - so why not easily close the side frames??

To make the closure removable, I used small neodym magnets and simple brackets which I posted on Thingiverse http://www.thingiver...om/thing:202168

side mount All preview featured

I printed two sets, mounted them with glue in the edges of the UM and used some CA to mount the counter magnets onto the acrilic windows. Unfortunaltely its hard to see the transparent "windows" on the picture I made (see the air-hooked post it)... :sad:

Foto

Nevertheless, it fit´s perfectly !!!

PS: next thing: self 3-point-leveling bed... :smile:

This is awesome...

I've been contemplating building acrylic sides myself and even altered the original laser cut drawings to get some laser cut acrylic panels with engravings

(files in this link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1259814/Ultimaker%20Acrylic%20side%20panels.rar)

I ran into the same problem with the standard, (as well as the donut type) fan duct sticking outside the frame when homing the printhead (or printing at the left edge of the build plate)

Thanks for sharing :)

You're welcome :-)

I had the problem that I have no access to a laser cutter - therfore saw and file and a bit of sanding, but now it works really nice.

Nevertheless thank you for sharing your files too - guess there will be somebody who need them :-)

:-) good point - right...

2 things:

1.) my girlfriend asked if a closure might be better to keep the UM clean - nice offer to start working on something, isnt?

2.) a heated bed will follow after having a solution for a semi-automatic bed leveling. So the closure is the first (low hanging fruit) step...

Panels should also effectively hinder any sudden drafts of cool air... or maybe even worse: curious fingers :)