Infill vs Solid option ?

Longtoke

Posted (edited) · Infill vs Solid option ?

I'm working on a part and have run into an issue with it's strength. If i print it as a solid item, it does the job perfectly but it's obviously using a lot of material. If I print it with infill (50%), it's great except for one crucial point which breaks on every test. 

So the question I have (which I think I already know the answer to) -  is there any way to print a part with 50% infill overall, but have a section(s) where it's solid ? 

If this is not possible currently, perhaps this is a feature that can be implemented ?, possibly something similar to the current support blocker. 

Edited by Longtoke

Posted · Infill vs Solid option ?

I have had some success (depending on part geometry) using support blockers.  Set "Per Model Settings | Modify settings for Overlaps" differently for the blocker.  You can add walls or change the infill density to 100%.

I suppose you could bring in a 2nd custom shaped model and use it as the blocker.  I haven't had to do that yet but off the top of my head it sounds like it should work.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GregValiant said:

I have had some success (depending on part geometry) using support blockers.  Set "Per Model Settings | Modify settings for Overlaps" differently for the blocker.  You can add walls or change the infill density to 100%.

I suppose you could bring in a 2nd custom shaped model and use it as the blocker.  I haven't had to do that yet but off the top of my head it sounds like it should work.

This sounds like a possible solution, thank you. Even being able to place a cylinder or cube in a section of my part resulting in a different infill would suffice. Going to have a tinker with it now, will update accordingly. 

19 hours ago, GregValiant said:

If you use em to change settings, they aren't quite support blockers anymore (but modifier meshes) https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013370140-How-to-adjust-print-settings-of-a-part-of-my-model-in-Ultimaker-Cura

There is also a (paid) plugin that can do all kinds of automatic magic with them: https://www.tetonsim.com/smart-slice-for-cura

Ok.  Semantics is it.  Well I don't like "modifier meshes".  How about something exciting like "Variable Density Augmenters" or "Internal Structure Adjusters" or the ever popular  "Inside Topography Transformer Thingies"?

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Infill vs Solid option ?

Solution found

The simple explanation for those interested - 

>use the support blocker ( 6th icon on the left side missing a tool tip ) to generate a generic cube model OR add a model of your own for custom shapes 

> select the model you just placed

> select Per Model Settings ( 5th icon down on left side also missing tool tip )

> change the mesh type to "Modify Settings For Overlaps"

> hit the "select settings" button and add the "infill density" option

> set the infill density as required ( in my case I needed 100% infill for a section of my model ) 

> move the model/mesh to where you need it. 

The end result is a model with different infill densities as specified by the overlapping of the modified "support blocker" model/mesh.

Thanks to GregValiant & Nallath for helping me stumble through this 😉

Edited by Longtoke