Best PETG to buy

jeex

Posted · Best PETG to buy

Hi All,

I've been out for a while, now started printing again with my UM2+. Lots changed on the market of filament. New suppliers, new materials.

Anyway, I'm looking for good PETG on the Dutch market. Preferably a web shop of course. Can anyone recommend please?

Thanks.

Ultimaker CPE

Colorfabb XT

Filamentum

There are really a lot suppliers and the difference is very small when you buy quality filament. I would not buy any cheap filament from Ebay, you never know what you get and 95% is some China filament.

But I have great success with these brands above. 

I don't understand Dutch, but I think you ask if you need special settings for PETG.

Just start and use the generic CPE material in Cura, should work and adjust if needed.

Thanks for all the help. I'm coaching a few students in my minor program Creative Programming for Non-IT Students and they are all surprised by the help they get when asking questions online. Share the love 😉

Printing old transparent PETG with CPE settings. The printhead leaves small crums here and there on a surface, but the result is fine.

Thanks, you got me going again.

IMG_2438.jpeg

Do you need PETG because of its characteristics?

Otherwise PLA would be easier to print.

PETG is stronger and more durable and doesn't get brittle after a while. And PETG is food-safe. I don't want to print ABS because of the smell and it's not food-safe. PETG is just as easy to print as PLA.

However it is confusing, all the names en materials:

CPE

CPE+

PETG

PC-PETG

Still doing the research on them. Every brand seems to use different names.

Yes it is difficult to compare, but they often just have different names.

I printed a lot for CPE and ColorFabb XT. With Colorfabb ngen I was not so happy, the parts came out very brittle, but others have good success with it.

I would try to buy some different spools and test it yourself. I think there is not much different between each brand.

Normally we make PETG filament in our own lab at NHL Stenden Uni in Emmen. We get shreds from local industries. On account of corona and reduced lab capacity, that's not possible. I'll buy some samples here and there and see what I like most and share results here.

What I'm printing now is 4 year old PETG from Hestay.nl. It comes out nice enough.

Posted (edited) · Best PETG to buy

I'm printing PETG now, brand is Kexcelled. Printing is OK at 250 degrees Celsius.

Question however: during printing i see this thin canyfloss threads. In the first layer this is worse than in the rest.

I raised and lowered print temp to 260 and 240. Same results.

I reduced flow to 90%, small improvement.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Edited by jeex

I already said it before, this is an English forum, please write in English or move to the Dutch section to write in Dutch.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I already said it before, this is an English forum, please write in English or move to the Dutch section to write in Dutch.

Apologies, it's in English now.

9 minutes ago, jeex said:

Apologies, it's in English now.

Thanks a lot 🙂 It helps all others who are looking for an answer for a similar question or just want to help, but don't speak your language. 

38 minutes ago, jeex said:

Question however: during printing i see this thin canyfloss threads. In the first layer this is worse than in the rest.

I had similar issues with PETG and played a lot with the print temperature, which helped a little bit, but I could not get rid of It completely. When you turn off combing in Cura, it helped also a little bit, but I also had crumbs on my walls. 

PETG is oozing much more than PLA which is like yoghurt, so during the travel moves, a very small amount of filament is oozing of the nozzle which results in this strings. You could try to play also with the retraction settings (speed and amount) but depending on how much worse it is, I would remove the strings in post processing which is easy with a heat gun. 

Can you post a picture where we can see to issue?

25 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Thanks a lot 🙂 It helps all others who are looking for an answer for a similar question or just want to help, but don't speak your language. 

Fun thing is: I work with international students, so I write and speak English all day. And then here, I forget 😱.

Don't worry - Nothing happened, everything is fine. 🙂

I have to opposite problem, I am from Austria and speak German, but I mostly write in English here, so I often want to answer in English also in the German section 🙂 

The surface with Fine settings is really beautiful.

The walls with infill are a mess on the inside.

6C5163C9-88C7-4F83-AB95-97CB67606025_1_105_c.jpeg

254A200E-3C7D-4411-A59F-A17F74025793_1_105_c.jpeg

For the walls with infill I set the material flow back to 100%. Results are really fine. However it does demand patience as printing PETG is way slower than printing PLA.

The candyfloss is not really getting in the way, but sometimes it forms a blob of material that settles down on inconvenient places.

I'll share the end results here. By the way: what I'm printing now is a part for the dashboard in my Volvo C70 where I'm replacing the completely useless up-and-down GPS with a box for my own TomTom or smartphone.

Edited by jeex

It looks nice in my opinion except the blobs/strings, but I fear you cannot avoid it. Personally I haven't found a solution, I just remove it afterwards.

So, feedback: I bought the very cheap Kexcelled PETG (or CPE) at Bol.com. Standard settings for CPE from Cura. Just a bit of candyfloss at the beginning. For the rest: really excellent printing.

See the result. I replaced the old Volvo GPS device that goes up and down by a box that can hold my TomTom and contains a double USB plug. Very satisfied with the result.

8EEE3DA1-2A45-4D1A-9A14-EF61FC697DA8.jpg

Edited by jeex