Nozzle temp increase midway through print

lenp49

Posted · Nozzle temp increase midway through print

I have been trying to get rid of my stringing issues and have played with all the recommended settings in Cura with little or no improvement.  Watching the print (retraction towers) I notice the nozzle temp increased about one third the way through the print - right where the stringing began!

I went through the gcode and found two places where Cura sets nozzle temp way higher than set in the Material settings in Cura.  I do not see any other place in the setting that would change the temp.  Editing the gcode to make all the M104 commands read the desired temp resulted in a VERY GOOD print.

Attached gcode file generated with Cura 4.7.1 using Recommended settings.  Note the temp changes (M104) about 1/3 and 2/3 the way through.  Starts at 205 (desired) and then goes to 245 followed by 240.

Why/where does Cura change the nozzle temp midway through the print?  Is there a way to change this?  retractions_2.gcodeEasy to see why I am getting stringing when nozzle temp jumps to 245 with PLA.  

Tried the same retraction tower model with PursaSlicer and it also turned out pretty good.

Posted (edited) · Nozzle temp increase midway through print

You have a Plug-in active.  From the code (shown below) it's ChangeatZ and there are 4 of them.

Line #11         ;POSTPROCESSED ;Big clue there

Line#10626    ;[CAZD:
    Line#10627    M104 S250.0 T0
    Line#10628    ;:CAZD]

Next to the Slice button is an icon with a crossed hammer and wrench that probably has a red circle next to it.  Click on the icon and then click on the |X| next to each ChangeAtZ plugin.  That will get rid of them.  Then you can re-slice.

Edited by GregValiant

Greg,  Many thanks for that!!  Now I have to ask "how in the world did that get in there?"  I was using "recommended" settings and it looks like this happened with "experimental" settings.  I sure don't recall setting anything under experimental other than using Tree support a couple of times.

Great to know and keep an eye out for that red circle.

Thanks again,

Len

My pleasure.

It is exceedingly unlikely that the ChangeAtZ plugin just one day decided "Hey, I think I know how to drive this guy nuts" and then jumped into your gcode FOUR TIMES, and then filled in it's own settings FOUR TIMES.  Did you happen to open a 3mf file that somebody else created?  That might do it since a 3mf Cura Project file has just about everything in it.

Greg, I have no recollection of opening anybody else's files but may well have.  Typically I just import (open) an STL file and slice that.  I was messing around with tree supports but don't think that would cause this.  Oh well, I will just watch for the red circle from now on.

All this after spending $200 and three days adding direct drive extruders to get rid of stringing. when all along it was a temperature issue.  Lesson learned.

Thanks again for the help!

Len