Ultimaker PLA temp question

Jls667

Posted · Ultimaker PLA temp question

Cura tells me the temperature should be 205. At that temperature the PLA is very weak. When I made a temperature test, the prints worked better around 220. Am I doing something wrong? Could my Ultimaker 3 have a problem?

No, every material and brand is different so depending on the brand and often even on the color, you have to adjust the print temp to your needs. So when you see that 220 works better, just set the print temperature in Cura to 220 and you should be fine.

I downloaded the below model from the Internet. It is supposed to be a container for desiccant. It is supposed to have slits around the sides. It should not have collapsed. Does this mean my temperature is too hot or too cold or something else?

IMG_6359.thumb.JPG.ebf745843087607ddad919fb579f0f8f.JPG

I think you have more than one problem.

From the picture it looks like you are printing too hot.

But it is also possible that your print core is partly clogged and you don't get the correct flow.

So I would clean the print core first to be sure that's not the case. Is the printer new or how old is the print core?

Then check the fans in the print head. The middle one should start during heating the print core. The two side ones starts after the first layer.

Which PLA brand do you print?

I am using an Ultimaker 3 printer with Ultimaker PLA. I have been printing lots of things successfully. Could my printcore just be clogged? Maybe that is why I need to print at a higher temperature than normal,

Yes could be the case....

I have an Ultimaker 3 printer and I am using Ultimaker PLA. Cura tells me the default temperature is 205C. The PLA comes out very fragile at that temperature. The PLA seems to work better at 230C, but it is stringy. I bought the printer used. Could I need new printcores? How do you know when you need new print cores? Could some temperature sensor not be working properly? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated?

Look at the pictures below. I think that my printcore has problems. Can this be cleaned. I am not sure what is the stringy stuff going into the printcore.

008A228E-06CB-489A-8AA4-42EDC16E8B3C.jpeg

822E3F46-4A44-46D7-8223-72ECCCFBDA0A.jpeg

You print core looks indeed not so good, I guess it is partly clogged that also the reason why you need to print hotter. But 230 is too much, you can print PLA fine with 205 and also cooler.

So check you the UM website hot to do the hot/cold pulls and clean your print core. I guess someone has printed other materials than PLA which needs hotter core temp and the material is still inside the nozzle and blocks a normal extrusion.

I wonder if the stringy stuff is nylon. I printed nylon hinges a few weeks ago.

It could be that nylon clogged the nozzle, but the stringing is from your PLA you print too hot.

Clean the print core with hot/cold pulls several times until it is clean and you should be fine again.

I will try that. Thank you.