Filament not extruding

jls123

Posted · Filament not extruding

I loaded a new filament and the filament comes out normal for a while. It slows down a lot or even quits after a few seconds in which maybe 7.5-10 cm has came out. I clicked confirm because I thought that's what it was supposed to do, but now it does not print. When I start my print, this is what I get. It should be a continuous line but it puts out little bits or something. I even tried slowing the print speed down to 50% but it did not help at all.

Does someone know what i need to do to fix this?

1228876694_20201011_1723411.thumb.jpg.20683678101c06289cb7eebbddf9ce58.jpg1712256577_20201011_1722281.thumb.jpg.264be24e3791e9fbb5cbaa4273e400fa.jpg1714847157_20201011_1722181.thumb.jpg.07d1b994dd5040973003763967c3c80e.jpg

It doesn't stop extruding after such a short time. It stops when you don't press confirm but you have another problem. 

So check it the print core is clean and not clogged. Do some hot/cold pulls as described on the UM website.

Check your feeder, is it clean and is the feeder tension marker in the middle position?

During the load, did you hear some clicking noise coming from the feeder?

If you want to do a quick test, unload the print core and use another one, just to see if it is the core or the feeder.

I'll have to double check but I think the extrusion slows like that right before the confirm option pops up. 

I will check to make sure the print core is clean and not clogged. I don't think it is though because it extrudes just fine when it first starts. I will do some hot/cold pulls as you suggested as described on the UM website though. 

The feeder is clean. The marker is in the middle position. 

During the load, I heard some clicking the other day. Since then, I removed the cover over the feeder to make sure nothing was in there. 

I will try swapping the print cores between 1 & 2 to see if that helps. I thought the feeder was fine though because it seems to pull it in/out to load/unload just fine.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try them tomorrow when I'm back around the printer.

I also think the feeder is fine. The reason for a clicking noise from the feeder is mostly a clogged nozzle. The feeder tries to move the filament forward, but can't and then the gear wheel slips trough.

When you swap the cores, be sure to use the AA print core. The BB core is for PVA material only.

But normally the load process extrudes until you confirm it or a timeout occurs (if you forgot to confirm) but during this time it extrudes a lot of material. 

image.thumb.png.eeb36d4224a8d486bd89be09ecaa8cb9.png

I think I've also got an extrusion issue but can't quite work it out. I've cleaned out the nozzle a number of times, tried manual leveling of the nozzle but can't work out why the towers come out so porous?

image.thumb.png.f5187f727daf7b3a607c81b322359c1e.png

The black one shows what the print quality is normally like. And it's not since changing the plastic either as the black PLA was also behaving like the white PLA.

Can have several reasons.

Do you use one of the default profiles in Cura?

What about your feeder, is it clean and the wheel not worn out?

How old is your Bowden tube?

Is your middle fan, in the print head working?

What about your filament? Is it a new one or have you already printed with the white one?

I would try to print a model with just the default profile and another filament to see what happens.

Posted (edited) · Filament not extruding

Hey Smithy, thanks for replying.
    middle fan is working fine, the bowden tube is old but doesn't look damaged (what should I look out for).
    white filament is brand new and dry. (PLA)
    Here are some pictures of our setup:

image_from_ios.jpg

Edited by Adam_UL

We've got a box to keep filament dry in the lab. And it appears to run okay on the rollers in there. But I could remove some of the silica gel to make it move more smoothly.

We've got a box to keep filament dry in the lab. And it appears to run okay on the rollers in there. But I could remove some of the silica gel to make it move more smoothly.

image.png

image.thumb.png.a86409bc444cade71ebe59eaf43cd8a8.png

image.thumb.png.10349e03b2ceb78a8c85f08cb7a663e1.pngThere appears to be some small amount of residue from previous reels of plastic within the bowden tube, not enough to cause a blockage though? Do you have any advice on how best to clean them out? or just remove them and run them under a tap.

This default is being used:

Screenshot 2020-10-19 at 10.34.33.png

With these results after the first 10 layers 😢. The Support material (mat2) is working fine, I've just removed it. Material 1 does not seem to be being extruded.
    image.thumb.png.5ee933f2a9ccfe1e958c3fb493b0d434.png

Edited by Adam_UL

Hi Adam_UL,

You need to clean out the "old" plastic partickle's out of the bowden tube, -this as they increase the friction in the tube and increase the "drag forces" when pressure is needed to feed the filament. This pressure is kind of high when printing first layers and your feeder cannot feed properly due to this.

It's very important to clean the feeder to prevent those partickle entering the bowden tube.

A clean bowden tube will have much longer service life.

You can use water(then dry) or air, some even use mechanical stuff as a "little" piece of rag, -but not too much as it's to easy to get it stuck in here..  (Push it through by using filament.)

Good luck

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    More info.

thanks Torgeir 🙂, it seems strange that small plastic particles could cause so much of a problem.
    I'll give it a go 🙂

image.thumb.png.c91b909c928b6f7101585ab9d0877084.png😔No Dice

Have you already tried to replace the "faulty" print core with another one? Just to see if it is the feeder or the hot end.

Hmm, I'll use to think that if small issues added together, they may lead to an error, but here it is still a massive under extrusion..

Just come to think about an issue on the German treads in here, this was a drawing of a house, an overview of a floor.

This had sign of severe under extrusion at several places, much check was made to the printer.

However, all ended up in adjusting some critical parameter in the slicer -Cura..

So be aware of these types of issues and be sure to use standard profiles or try printing an old tested test model that has been stored back then.

-But when we look at your first picture in this tread, -that the skirt or brim line is broken up and this is -"signaling" a flow/feeding problem at the extruder -unless Cura can be adjusted to do so (but I do not think so).

So the question @Smithy asking is essential for further analysis.

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Edit of text.

I think we will try a new extruder head, this is a bit upsetting as we just replaced that head a month or two ago 😅. Would any more photos of the extruder head give more clues? As When I've removed it, it looks fine.

No, usually you don't see it on a photo. But maybe the print core is good, so just place another one in the slot to see if it is better or not.

image.thumb.png.b3ff1edbbba6b6e7f45796ce5812700f.png

Replaced both the nozzles on the printer, so things have improved a bit but the extrusion still seems a little off. Does anyone have any recommendations for different nozzles? (types/suppliers/etc)

Edited by Adam_UL

Hi Adam,

This was much better, but now we sure need some data of how this is printed -cause here is some issues.

The first layer height and something more, maybe the project file, if possible?

Thanks

Torgeir