Cura doesn’t slice properly for one of my printers

raimunoz

Posted · Cura doesn’t slice properly for one of my printers

Hello! I'm having an issue with cura and a model I need to print. I have a personal printer (prusa i3 mk3) and a printer at the office (ender 5).

I need to print a model with the ender 5, but when I slice it and preview it I can see that the model is not going to print as it should. I’m using the settings I normally use for all my prints which have nice results, it just giving me a problem with this model. I also tried making the model 100% bigger (200% total) and the problem doesn’t go away.

When I change the printer to my prusa there is no problem with the slicing, but I need to print it in the ender 5. I’ve been using cura from the beginning because I love it and I didn’t have any problem till now.

I’m Attaching some images to show the problem.

Thanks you in advance for your help.

Raimundo.

This is when I slice for the ender 5

Capture1.thumb.PNG.e305b7bc3484b36bfffed4d4dc575ce3.PNG

This is when I slice for my prusa

Capture2.thumb.PNG.4a3c8ad7514a89488220b559ce73ab2a.PNG

And this is the model. It's the piece at the right side, but I still have the same issue with the left piece

Capture3.thumb.PNG.7dc10b8d706112297de1a28fb134daa4.PNG

90% sure it's the model, not the printer.  Tiny changes in printer settings (particularly layer height) can hide problems with a model.  So try this:

In the upper right corner of Cura click "marketplace" and make sure you are on the "plugins" tab and install "Mesh Tools".  Then restart Cura.  Now right click on your model, choose "mesh tools" and first choose
    "check mesh", then "fix model normals" and "fix simple holes" to see if that helps.  Cura doesn't fix most issues so...

netfabb free repair service is here (you have to create a free account first):
    https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

Here's another service - drag and drop mesh repair service:
    https://3d-print.jomatik.de/en/index.php

There's also an x-ray mode in cura that shows certain problem spots in red but "mesh tools" is better at finding problems.

A couple of other things to consider...

1)  In the Ender slice - do you have coasting enabled?  That will create what look to be gaps in the preview because there isn't any extruding being done in those "coast" areas.

2)  Is the Top/Bottom Pattern set to Concentric?  (Because it looks like "Lines" in the slice for the Prusa.)