Can't Print with update

Jman15x

Posted (edited) · Can't Print with update
30 minutes ago, Jman15x said:

Ever since I updated to version 5.8.2 I have ben unable to produce a print. I keep getting the error message that print cores 1&2 were unable to heat up in time. 

Please advise 

Usually the hotends not heating up is related to the pogo pins between the printhead and the print core, try cleaning up the contacts on both sides and try again.

The error is caused by protection code that hasn't been changed in this release.

If you still think it's software you can try these steps:

If you have any materials loaded try to unload them first, possibly do a factory reset, and then try again.

If that fails you can downgrade to 5.8.1 via usb, here are links to the files, only one will work but select the R1 only if there is a robot on the side of your printer.

http://software.ultimaker.com/releases/firmware/9051/stable/5.8.1/um-update-5.8.1-R1.swu

http://software.ultimaker.com/releases/firmware/214475/stable/5.8.1/um-update-5.8.1.swu

If none of that solves anything logs will be super appreciated! (you can dump logs to usb, though if you had a usb stick in the printer at the time of the error that will already have happened)

Edited by robinmdh
  • Thanks 1

Posted · Can't Print with update

All the contacts are clean but I am still unable to get a print  even started. I tried to revert back to 5.8.1 firmware (I have the older model with the robot on the side), But that didnt fix it either. I also tried a hard reset as well as many reboots. 

Could you also add the files that are called something like: ultimakersystem-ccbdd300129b.3.7.7.20201017.boot-0.log.gz?

Those are the main log files. (the forum might complain about uploading them if so you can unzip them with tools like z7)

• Thanks 1

I sent the log files to your email, were you able to read them? The error message that I get now is that the capacitive sensor's performance is low. I checked the connections are they all appear to be in tact 

Thanks for the logfiles! (the ones in the e-mail)
    Using the logfiles I was able to see a bunch of  i2c head communication errors, so my thoughts go to the cable between the printhead and the printer. I think either the cable is broken or it's not plugged in properly.
    I can further support this conclusion because over the last few days I found A bunch of probing errors and min and max temp errors. The reason for those are all related to the printhead, the printcores, etc. the only thing all of those have in common is the cable from the printer to the printhead.

Assuming there is an intermittent break in the cable you should be able to get a replacement from your reseller. I'm not sure how this is handled though if you will have to install it or it they will, etc...

If it is just not plugged in correctly/you want to check that yourself/if you have to replace it:

There is a retention clip/part on the printhead that needs to firmly grip the cable, this may have slipped or the cable may have broken. you can remove this by removing 2 (long) screws from the printhead, make sure the cable is firmly plugged in and not sideways. if in doubt about the cable retention you can put a bit of tape around around the cable but this shouldn't be necessary, then close the printhead back up.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, robinmdh said:

Thanks for the logfiles! (the ones in the e-mail)
    Using the logfiles I was able to see a bunch of  i2c head communication errors, so my thoughts go to the cable between the printhead and the printer. I think either the cable is broken or it's not plugged in properly.
    I can further support this conclusion because over the last few days I found A bunch of probing errors and min and max temp errors. The reason for those are all related to the printhead, the printcores, etc. the only thing all of those have in common is the cable from the printer to the printhead.

Assuming there is an intermittent break in the cable you should be able to get a replacement from your reseller. I'm not sure how this is handled though if you will have to install it or it they will, etc...

If it is just not plugged in correctly/you want to check that yourself/if you have to replace it:

There is a retention clip/part on the printhead that needs to firmly grip the cable, this may have slipped or the cable may have broken. you can remove this by removing 2 (long) screws from the printhead, make sure the cable is firmly plugged in and not sideways. if in doubt about the cable retention you can put a bit of tape around around the cable but this shouldn't be necessary, then close the printhead back up.

Shoot. That's not good because I already started a support ticket with ultimaker and they have shipped out a new capacitive circuit board as well as a BB 0.4 print core. Those should be arriving today. However from what you are saying it sounds like that is not likely to be the cause of the problem. 

I had already checked the cable connections to the i2c print head last week and made sure it was firmly in place but I guess there could be a frayed/damaged wire or loose connection elsewhere. 

The i2c head communication error really does point to the cable, since that is only reported if there is no connection to a chip that is on the PCB in the printhead, regardless of temperature errors, etc it could of-course be a combination of things, but that seems less likely.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited) · Can't Print with update

These connections look good to me. How would I go about checking the other end?

Thank you for getting back to me btw 😄 

IMG_6204.jpg

IMG_6205.jpg

Edited by Jman15x

when you unscrew the bottom of your printer there is another one of those big connectors, it's easy enough to find and only logically plugs in in that one place. But even if you measure them and the connections are all OK, there might only be a break when flexing the cable.

You could clean the contacts (for instance with alcohol on a cotton swab) re-insert and see if that helps.

• Thanks 1

Are you saying to measure them with a multimeter? If so, what sort of values should I expect?

If I remove the bottom of my printer is it okay to lay it on its side?

I would expect values less than an ohm or so but as long as your meter sees a stable connection I would assume it's OK... it is fine to lay the printer on it's side. while printing with the printer on it's side is not recommended it does not matter to the electronics or the motors, etc. just be sure to work EMC safe.

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure I feel comfortable opening this up as it might void the warranty.

Which also means I would also be unable to test the resistivity of the wires  unless there is another way inside?

IMG_6207.jpg