Ultimaker S3, error printing at a specific layer height.

AHG

Posted · Ultimaker S3, error printing at a specific layer height.

I have a consistent printing issue with my Ultimaker S3. I am printing vertical discs that are 5cm in height. At 4cm, something happens and the print fails. It happens with both PETG, and ABS.

I have tried updating the firmware. I added new lubricant to the z-screw and added oil to the smooth bars. I still have this problem.

I have added images of the defect below:

moment_of_error_ABS.jpg

print_after_error_ABS.jpg

Error_in_PETG.jpg

Error_in_ABS.jpg

Hi @AHG, thank you for your message. 

Does it need to be printed vertically, or could they also be placed flat on the build plate? That would make things a lot easier! In its current shape, on the bottom of the disc you are dealing with an overhang and heat/cooling issues. The heat that is radiating from the build plate is keeping the filament from solidifying, and so are the layers that are printed on top of it with a hot nozzle before the previous layer has had a time to cool down. Have you tried printing a few discs at the same time with some decent space in between so the head travels around a little bit and they have time to cool? I would also try to print them with the bed at a lower temperature, or perhaps even turned off entirely (but then you probably need to use a line of blue tape to ensure the adhesion). But again, printing them flat would be much, much easier. 

Hi @SandervG,

Thanks for your reply,

I am printing the discs vertically intentionally to check how the layers might have an effect on the air permeability of a print.

I have tried printing several discs at once in several locations, with varying distance and angle.

I can try changing the bed temperature but it seems to me to be an error occurring at a specific z-height. The print seems to continue fine afterwards (see my second image, the first transparent PETG disc has a bad quality part at a certain height, but after that the print is fine)

ah, I thought it was about the overhangs. Not sure I even read the title, lol. Is it always at the same location? In that case I would check if the Z rod is not dirty or if there is anything that prevents a smooth motion. 

Hmm. Interesting, this "could" be hardware or software tuning..

Why not share your project file in here.

Thanks

Torgeir