Is there a way to turn on the Ultimaker S5 lights remotely?

msgetz

Posted · Is there a way to turn on the Ultimaker S5 lights remotely?

I started a print at my work tonight and when I got home to check on the print status, I realized the printer lights were off so I cannot see anything on the webcam. Is there a way through Digital Factory to turn on the print lights? Or is there a way to have the printer lights turn on upon checking the webcam?

Unfortunately not or currently not. But if I remember correctly there was a feature request some time ago, so maybe it comes with a future update.

Posted (edited) · Is there a way to turn on the Ultimaker S5 lights remotely?

I suggested this, but since found on the front panel you can choose to have the lights on while printing which i have done for the same reason as the OP

Edited by SensataPDS
    sp

You can also adjust the brightness of the leds via the printers api, but to access them you need a local network connection. But someone could build an "external" local service (maybe with a raspberry) which is triggered somehow and then could adjust the lights. Complicated but I want to show that this could be also a possibility if you want to thinker around.

This feature was indeed requested a short while ago, in this thread:

I've brought it to the attention of the product owner of the Digital Factory.

By the way, was there a specific reason to have the lights turned off in the first place?

Chris

I guess there are a lot of users which don't want to have the lights on because it shines through the windows. I can remember a user who has his printer in the garage for example and want to avoid that the neighbours or others see that there is something in there.

So in my opinion it would be really great to have a button in the DF to switch the lights on and off.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 12:10 AM, ctbeke said:

This feature was indeed requested a short while ago, in this thread:

I've brought it to the attention of the product owner of the Digital Factory.

By the way, was there a specific reason to have the lights turned off in the first place?

Chris

I personally have all the lights off on mine, they are in a front room that over looks open land so if they are on they light up the room for everyone to see walking along the foot paths. Plus i have little need for them to be on.

But it would be nice if you could temp turn them on when viewing the camera, because i'll sometimes check in on a print when the rooms dark and with the lights off you can not see anything.

• Like 1

I'd also reallllly like to request this feature please? The ability to trigger the lights for the webcam would be amazing.