**WARNING** Tronxy x5sa damaged UNSAFE STOCK SETTINGS DAMAGE PRINTER**

Posted · **WARNING** Tronxy x5sa damaged UNSAFE STOCK SETTINGS DAMAGE PRINTER**

Today I wanted to print via USB because I broke my SD card, so I downloaded the Ultimatker Cura software. I set up the software through the painful software of using the forced wizard and chose my appropriate printer from the list, Tronxy x5sa. After doing so I went to the monitor tab in the software to test communication, I pressed the home button, the stepper motors activated and moved the build plate towards the print head, I was excited it was working!

It was moving fairly quickly and approached the head within a second, to my dismay it continued to rise impacting the head creating a horrible gear grinding noise, bent the top gantry, misaligned the z axis and threw the level completely out of wack. There was no way to stop it and it continued this horrid noise for 10 seconds or more. After it finally stopped I reset everything, realigned the print head on the gantry and loaded a gcode that I know works from SD card. I printed it from USB and again it shoved the print bed into the print head then tried to print. It gouged my print bed beyond repair and will now have to be replaced. All in all this software is UNSAFE to use stock settings with the Tronxy. The settings need to be removed or corrected so that unsuspecting users don't damage their printer as I did. 

If anyone can attach the correct settings to use the Tronxy it would be much appreciated. Until then I found a backup SD card and will continue to use Slic3r which I know is safe. What a horrible experience.

While I get you're upset at your printer being damaged, you've incorrectly and unfairly attributed it to Cura...

Firstly, the Tronxy you mention is a DIY kit printer, that takes some experience to correctly assemble, while having several design flaws that leave the door open to all sorts of issues.

To quote one of the reviews I've just endured "My testing, however, was a long and frustrating experience due to a range of poor design decisions on this printer."

And another quote "I think with a total overhaul by an experienced owner, this thing could really shine. It’s just that the way it works out of the box leaves a lot to be desired".

While these issues may not be directly associated to the issue you have, it forms a continuing pattern with the printer in general. The manufacturers of the Tronxy package a butchered early version of Cura with a firmware that is a complete mystery and doesn't appear to function correctly. Also notably, the provided slicer requires excessive configuration for the default profile settings which also invites other gremlins into the scene. 

Why am I detailing this ?....3d printing in general is not a  plug and play affair. It does require some care, attention and time to learn the varied aspects involved, especially when you go the cheap route. DIY + cheap can end up being more expensive in the long run, especially if you don't invest time into it. That said, even with a high priced printer designed to be as user friendly as possible, there's still going to be issues at various times. 

Another thing to note is the profiles themselves within Cura for 3rd party printers are community contributed, the Cura developers  have little to nothing to do with them beyond gathering them up each release phase. If the profile itself  caused the issue, contact the manufacturer and get them to address what is at issue with the printers firmware and / or profile for use in Cura. 

Simply put, the onus is on you to ensure your printers compatibility with Cura ( which ever version you use ), and using 3d printers in general is not for the light hearted, especially when you're talking DIY kits from Chinese manufacturers. From the sound of it, you suffered an issue that could have been prevented by installing a $2 end stop on an axis, and was likely caused by the poor coding of the firmware driving it ( that seems to have misinterpreted the G-code commands issued by Cura ). 

Sorry you've had such a poor experience, for many of us Cura works extremely well once CONFIGURED correctly when used on a printer with STANDARD Marlin based firmware that has appropriate safely equipment integrated ( end stops ). I would recommend figuring out which 32-bit control board you have and learning the ins-and-outs of firmware updates, install some additional end stops and then configure a profile suitable for Cura. Perhaps even contact the manufacturer and see what they can do to address it, but Cura isn't to blame for your printers malfunction. 

• Like 4

Yes, that was a bad experience.  As Longtoke points out, it wasn't the fault of Cura.

When you push the "Home" button, Cura sends the command "G28" to the printer and that is all it does.  That G28 is interpreted by the firmware in the printer as "home all axis" and the printer starts the axis motors and moves the print head to the "0" endstops of the X, the Y, and the Z axis.  The speed that the motors run at is also set within the firmware and Cura cannot effect the homing speed.  It is then each endstop switch's job to inform the firmware "OK you can stop the motor now".  When everything is working correctly it really isn't possible to move beyond the switches.

So Cura simply sends 3 characters over the USB.  After that everything is handled by the printer.  Also, looking at the Tronxy forum on Reddit there are numerous owners using Cura as their slicer.  I don't think that would be the case if it was somehow destroying printers.

• Like 5

What colour of shirt were you wearing when you used Cura as slicer? Probably another colour then when you used Slic3r... so blame it in the colour of your shirt...😉

@GregValiant explained it very well what happens when you push the "home" button... If you don't trust the printer-profiles you get with Cura, create your own one!

• Like 1

• SandervG changed the title to **WARNING** Tronxy x5sa damaged UNSAFE STOCK SETTINGS DAMAGE PRINTER**

As clearly explained in the responses, it does not seem to be Cura's fault but rather the firmware. Therefor I have corrected the title claiming it was Cura's fault, which can be considered false and (probably unintentionally) misleading. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know that printer, but just a thought: if it is a self-built machine, couldn't it be that the end-switches (=the ones that should activate when homing the head) are mounted or wired incorrectly? So that they do not give contact? Or way too late? That would also cause it to keep going.

• 3 months later...

I have to disagree with some of you. My TRONXY x5SA pro (latest edition 2021) is running quite fine with the provided 'Tronxy' software using SD-cards, but when I want to print with the more refined CURA 4.8.0 and USB the printer starts printing as expected, but stops in midprint after about 2 minutes, and does just heat the nozzle and the print bed, but does nothing more.

Printer problem? I do not think so. This looks more to be a software problem as I cannot move the printhead with the jogging keys too. Maybe the problem is in the firmware? I don't know. I am at a loss.

Can anybody of the wise gals and guys give a helping hand?

Peter

Yes the printer is fine.  If you don't like printing from the SD (the best choice) the real alternative is Raspberry Pi with Octoprint.  Repetier-Host is a possibility.

None of the current Ultimaker printers use "Print by USB" so that portion of the software hasn't seen any maintenance in 2 or 3 years and from what I've read, there are no plans to divert resources to it.  It looks like the Cura team is very busy with the new Arachne version.

Using USB printing there is a problem with the input buffer in the printer suffering from code over-runs (missed lines of Gcode) and under-runs (starts and stops while printing).  In particular is the problem with Cura sending M115 to the printer every 3 seconds to check the temperature, and to check that the port is still functioning.  If the printer input buffer is almost full, the printer truncates the M115 to M1 which is a stop command.  The problem is not unique to Cura as Pronterface/Printrun suffers from it as well.  It's possible that something else is going on but Cura sends the same Gcode over the USB as would be on the SD card (except for the interjection of M115's into the data stream).

I have taken a look at the Start-Up Gcode in your printer definition file.  It looks fine, but maybe there is something in the gcode that is causing the printer to stop.  If you would post one of the problem Gcode files here somebody will take a look.  All taken with all, USB printing is troublesome and I didn't even get into Windows pushing updates that reboot the computer and cause a print to stop.  That is the reason I don't use USB printing on my Ender 3 Pro.  I can't count on it.  The RaspPi + Octoprint solution seems to be the preference for most people.  For me, the SD card is simple and easy to understand.  I did find using the LCD to be clumsy so I wrote an app to get around it.  I rarely have to touch that dumb knob anymore.

Thank you for your kind answer. I had the feeling that it had something to do with the USB, because I tried printing the same file to confirm my idea, and it did print perfect, no interruption.

My thinking was that it could have been something in connection with my old PC (Compaq dc7600, Win 7) which had seen better days. It has USB-1 only, is slow and noisy like hell, and is going to be replaced by a new microPC in the next days. I'll go another route though - wireless, either with the Toshiba Flash Air WIFI 8GB SD card or, if this does not work, I'll try the the TRONXY proprietary WIFI-module - I do not like to swap these micro SD cards, they are a PITA, and when the slot gets damaged you have to change the board... No, thanks. I was hoping that USB would be THE solution as it was for me printing over 4700 hours on my small Dremel 3D20 without losing any steps. Maybe the slower data transfer of 9600 was responsible for no data loss then? The X5SA has ?no? memory builtin to buffer the print data and running at 115200 might be too much.

Re. LCD/touchscreen - on the Tronxy X5SA pro it is OK and does whatever I need - no knobs, just a very easy to use UI.

On 3/6/2021 at 9:55 PM, Petronius said:

I have to disagree with some of you. My TRONXY x5SA pro (latest edition 2021) is running quite fine with the provided 'Tronxy' software using SD-cards, but when I want to print with the more refined CURA 4.8.0 and USB the printer starts printing as expected, but stops in midprint after about 2 minutes, and does just heat the nozzle and the print bed, but does nothing more.

Printer problem? I do not think so. This looks more to be a software problem as I cannot move the printhead with the jogging keys too. Maybe the problem is in the firmware? I don't know. I am at a loss.

Can anybody of the wise gals and guys give a helping hand?

Peter

The KISS principle at work.  The housing is my own design.

DSCN2585.thumb.JPG.a968897436b1642a75cdd1ada8c1b675.JPG

I love your logo (I'm 72 and had 6 years in Latin...)

I decided to go similar to your way with the SD-card and will use a long adaptor cable to the front of the printer.  Pity is I have my dedicated microPC (180*128*55mm) sitting inside the 3D printer so I was hoping to just use USB for convenience..

If this ARM32 is unable to redirect data to a buffer storage or sd card then that is the only solution.

Shame on the Tronxy software engineers. Kick butt...

And if the new tack plates will not do the trick (PLA sticks at room temp so I need hammer and chisel /not sickle!) i'`ll try a thin glass/mirror plate.

I bought my X5SA Pro last november.

Few days after the first print it would not read any SD card.

Since then I print things sliced with Cura (currently 4.9.0) via usb without any trouble.

I had to block Windows updates to avoid unfortunate night restarts (1 month suspensionis available).

I took precaution to cut the red wire (vcc+) in the usb cable to prevent dual electrical source to the motherboard.

Happy with Cura and my X5SA Pro.

"I took precaution to cut the red wire (vcc+) in the usb cable"

That shouldn't be necessary.  On many printers that voltage does power the board with the printer turned off, but it also provides the "External Reset" that is sometimes required to straighten out a "situation".

When I switch off my Ender 5 Pro with the usb cable still connected the screen stays lit.

I don't like this, that's why.