Filament slipped off spool, causes/fix?

ktsandhu

Posted (edited) · Filament slipped off spool, causes/fix?

I was halfway through a 60 hour print, I heard some clicking noises (not thinking nothing of it as it's been running flawlessly for the first 30 hours) clicking gets louder, I realised the nozzle is under extruding and somehow the filament has managed to slip off the side of the spool (the spool was half full). 

Any ideas why this is happened? What I can do to fix? I have a feeling the extruder has started grinding the filament too but I have not yet taken off the cover. 

Nothing but problems for me with Ultimaker 2+ so far 😞 200+grams material down the drain and not enough left on the spool to reprint what I was trying to make.

(Unit is about 2 weeks old after getting a replacement so I don't think it's down to wear of any kind...).

I can provide a picture of the spool if need be but I think it's quite self explanatory. 

TIA for whoever comments

Edited by ktsandhu

Posted · Filament slipped off spool, causes/fix?

Perhaps a similar issue I had a few months back before I got a replacement unit, was printing for a similar length of time. I believe the Bowden tube came loose in this previous post. The Bowden tube is still in the collet this time around.

It rarely happens, but it can happen. It is not the fault of your printer, maybe also not the spool. I cannot say why it happens, maybe a print with a lot of retractions and when the filament is too loose and the tension in the spool too high then the filament comes off the spool and gets tangled.

I had it too, but only once - never happened again.

Thanks for your comment Smithy, I have seen this already unfortunately so I'm now printing an anti-unwind clamp in the hopes I can print something for more than 30 hours. 

I'm also tempted to run the spool off a lazy susan, the way it is now doesn't seem to be cutting it. 

I have heard about spontaneous unwinding of spools, especially near the end where they are tightly wound-up. Stiff filament acts as a quite strong spring, trying to wind up again. But if there is some sideways twist or rotation force present in the filament, it may jump off sideways.

Indeed, anti-unwinding clamps are a good idea.