Introducing: Ultimaker 2+ Connect

SandervG

Posted · Introducing: Ultimaker 2+ Connect

Great news that you may have found an alternative. May I suggest that if you are considering to share your findings so other people may follow your route, to do this in a new thread? That way this thread can stay on topic and others will be more likely to find it. 

Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...
    On 11/21/2020 at 3:48 PM, UbuntuBirdy said:

Of course, but they (most of them) cost a lot less money...

If I have to pay 2500.- for a new printer or 1000.-, that makes a big difference. But if I have to pay 750.- for an upgrade, I would choose the more expensive printer if it is upgradeable. And this is exactly what I thought I was getting when I decided to  choose an Ultimaker 2+...

Do not get me wrong, I really love my UM2+ and in my opinion it is still one of the best printers on the market. But I'm feeling like UMO and UM2 users have been forgotten (or even ignored)... And that is why I'm so disappointed of Ultimaker. And it seems I'm not the only one...

UbuntuBirdy, that is exactly why I bought the 2+ when I did. I was expecting some upgrades and options from Ultimaker. I got exactly zero. Certainly I can go fuss with the community based 2nd print head, which IMO Ultimaker should have done with the 2+ instead of making the 3, or at minimum made a complete kit to add on the 2nd print head.

On 11/30/2020 at 4:31 AM, SandervG said:

Thanks everyone for contributing. I don't think anyone is denying that an affordable upgrade kit for an Ultimaker 2+ to bring it to a similar level as the Ultimaker 2+ Connect wouldn't be appreciated by its users. But I think you might be underestimating the complexities of making such an upgrade, regardless if it is hardware or mostly software. To build it and support the different Ultimaker 2 [...] variations it would generate which all need to be maintained, tested and supported with future (software/firmware) updates. So, while we do understand that it would be appreciated, we can only spend our time once (just like anyone else) and we have to be cautious what to spend it on. We estimated that we could be more impactful dedicating our time on other innovations.

Also considering the fact that alternative solutions exist (like 3DprinterOS), which is indeed not an Ultimaker product, but does cover some of the functionality and I think most people who needed the connectivity weren't waiting for us to develop an upgrade kit, but used the potential of an open source product and managed to find their way. 

I certainly agree that you can only spend your time once. I have chosen to do so by going with Joe. At 1/2 the cost and all the bells, a similar print quality/speed, PLUS an upgrade path.

On 11/30/2020 at 4:56 AM, SandervG said:

That is what I said, in a few more words. Let's not forget, Ultimaker is a company and we need to be lucrative otherwise we cease to exist. We try to do this while staying as close with our customers as possible, but that doesn't mean we can do everything. I think this forum and the community as a whole proves among other things, that we like to stay close to our customers and that we listen to them. Even our developers are directly engaged with our customers.

So as I said and you concluded, somewhat alternative products exist and it would take a lot of resources to develop and maintain an upgrade kit. Which makes it not lucrative indeed. And the resources spend on it would be lost on other innovations. Maybe it is me, but to me that sounds like valid reasoning. 

It is clear the path Ultimaker has taken is to abandon the hobbyist/small home/small business and go down a larger business consumer path. Good for you. I wish you well in the $4,000-8,000 printer market. 

Your company has innovated by abandoning its roots and have relocated resources to hang your loyal hobbyist/small home business customers out to dry. 

I have some Questions, as i former UM2 Owner .

does the UM2+C  still have that loud Hotend fan`s and 1/16 stepper drivers, have they been updated also ?

Sincerely Chri

The hot end fans are the same I think, but not 100% sure.

The stepper drivers are new and the whole printer is very silent compared to an UM2+ Extended which is the loudest one here in my room.