Updated to 4.8, now it won't slice

CPB050

Posted · Updated to 4.8, now it won't slice

I have had my Ender 3 pro and using cura 4.7 successfully for only about 8 weeks, and have been very happy with it.

This morning I updated to 4.8, and now it won't slice. It will do everything up to the slicing stage, but then the slicing progress bar makes no progress at all.  I tried several .stl files, and several profiles, but no change.  I then uninstalled 4.8 and restored 4.7, but now it won't slice either. 

Some internet research offered that the firewall on my Windows 10 might have suddenly declared that the slicer is an "enemy", but I have been unable t change any of the firewall settings... (grayed out).

I love using Cura, and I was able to tweak the settings to make plain pla print like a dream.

I hope someone can please offer me a solution, in laymans terms.

Thanks

I had the same issue just now. I was trying to print a helmet that normally fits fine (albeit right up to the edge) but it wouldn't slice. I rotated the model diagonally so it wasn't as close to the edge of the print bed and now Cura will slice it like normal. Seems like the print area just got smaller with this new update. 

thank you, but even tiny models wouldn't slice, however, I turned off "Automatic Slicing" and away it went just fine.  I still don't know what caused it, but it works now, so that's great.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem. I made the attached model in Sketchup (yeah, I know). Previous attempts had 'watertight' issues, but sliced successfully in Cura 3.7 (?). I updated to 3.8.0 before attempting to slice. I thought it was a problem with my model, but I brought in previously successful files (from various sources), and they wouldn't slice either.

I was able to slice this model at Astroprint (I have no prior experience with that site… I can't say I'm impressed) but it gave an error that the model is too big (it's considerably smaller than the print area) but it let me slice it anyway. It seemed to work, but I had a bed adhesion issue and stopped the print.

System Info : macOS 10.14.6

Printer: MP Mini Delta

Files to printer via SD card

PipeFitting_rev.stl

No problems with slicing this file... It is better to attach the Cura Project-file instead of the STL-file. The project-file also contains your printer/cura settings!  So do a "save project file"... 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mari said:

No problems with slicing this file... It is better to attach the Cura Project-file instead of the STL-file. The project-file also contains your printer/cura settings!  So do a "save project file"... 😉

I went back an redesigned the part (I goofed). I also re-imported the printer specific files/definitions since the update replaced the whole app.

The new model still seems OK (and I also re-tried models that sliced before the upgrade)… still no good.

As suggested, I've saved & attached the project.

Thanks in advance.

MPMD_PipeFitting_3-Way.3mf

Oh… because details may matter. Since the upgrade, when I open a model it shows up off to the side of the build plate, which requires me to center the model. Before the upgrade, models showed up centered.

6 hours ago, Jeffe7FQ said:

Oh… because details may matter. Since the upgrade, when I open a model it shows up off to the side of the build plate, which requires me to center the model. Before the upgrade, models showed up centered.

It isn't likely that is related to the No Slice issue.  The build plate size is in the Manage Printers | Machine Settings dialog.  The default numbers are in your machine definition *.def.json file.  Something has changed to change your build plate size in Cura.

When you open a 3mf file it can change your active printer.  Did something like that happen?

30 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

When you open a 3mf file it can change your active printer.  Did something like that happen?

I had never opened a 3mf file. The only event between working/not working was the software update to 4.8. After the update, my printer was still set as the default, and everything was as I had left it. Except, of course, that it will no longer slice anything.

I only mentioned the placing models off the build plate because it was a detail that might trigger an idea. Centering the models is not a problem, but it is something (else) that changed with the upgrade.

Not slicing… yeah. That's an issue.

When ever I disable "Automatically drop models to the build plate", it will not slice. Re-enable it and it works. 4.7.1 works fine. Any help would be great.

Posted (edited) · Updated to 4.8, now it won't slice

In case it helps anyone else, if you have "Spiralize Outer Contour" turned on, it will NOT slice unless the model is touching the plate.  Just ran into this. 

Actually that might not be the case.  I turned it off and if the model is raised off the bed, it will still not slice.

Edited by tntfriesen1

Adaptive layers was the culprit.  Turned it off and now it slices fine.

On 11/11/2020 at 12:52 AM, CPB050 said:

I have had my Ender 3 pro and using cura 4.7 successfully for only about 8 weeks, and have been very happy with it.

This morning I updated to 4.8, and now it won't slice. It will do everything up to the slicing stage, but then the slicing progress bar makes no progress at all.  I tried several .stl files, and several profiles, but no change.  I then uninstalled 4.8 and restored 4.7, but now it won't slice either. 

Some internet research offered that the firewall on my Windows 10 might have suddenly declared that the slicer is an "enemy", but I have been unable t change any of the firewall settings... (grayed out).

I love using Cura, and I was able to tweak the settings to make plain pla print like a dream.

I hope someone can please offer me a solution, in laymans terms.

Thanks

So i fixed the issue with Cura not slicing .

1. I uninstalled Cura

2. I went into Program files and deleted the Cura folder left after uninstall 

3. I install C-cleaner and cleaned everything 

4. Disable the windows 10 antivirus and other protection 

5. Restart the computer 

6. Reinstall Cura 

7. Slicing working again, im not sure witch one its cause but you guys can play with all the information till you figure it out 

8. Enjoy