CURA 4.8 - problems importing existing profiles

AevnsGrandpa

Posted · CURA 4.8 - problems importing existing profiles

Good morning,

Just updated CURA from 4.7.1 to 4.8 and when I go to import the printer profiles I have been using I get a couple different errors. Wondering if these have been seen before and what I can do to fix it. Both seen to do with the 'quality type'. The printer is the Artillery Sidewinder X1.

The first error says, "Successfully imported profile......   Warning: the profile is not visible its quality type 'draft' is not available for the current configuration. Switch to a material/nozzle combination that can use this quality type.

The next one says "Failed to import profile from C:\...... , Quality type fast is not compatible with the current active machine type definition

SWX1_petg-Nuzzle_0.4-002.curaprofile 3DN_Artillery_SWX1_Base.curaprofile

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...
    Posted (edited) · CURA 4.8 - problems importing existing profiles

I'm having the same issue... so glad I didn't blow out my previous installs. I got jobs to get out... See my topic "Why is Cura a Pain to Upgrade?" 

Edited by ajawamnet

Same issue here.

On 2/17/2021 at 11:34 PM, ajawamnet said:

I'm having the same issue... so glad I didn't blow out my previous installs. I got jobs to get out... See my topic "Why is Cura a Pain to Upgrade?" 

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with upgrading at all.

Anyhow; What is going on is that each machine can define a set of qualities that it supports. If you create a profile, you basicly create a "delta" profile (eg; Take the 'draft' profile and apply these changes to it). As such, that profile is tightly coupled with the profile it was based on.

If you try to load that profile on a different printer and that printer does not have that quality type, it can't apply that profile (because it doesn't exist for that printer!)

I was having issue doing this with my Ender 3 but what happened is that i chose the Ender 3 premade printer when the instructions i was using had said to make it a generic FFF printer.  When i did that it worked.  Looking deeper into it, I believe it was a miss match caused by the definition in the cura profile.  The file had 

definition = fdmprinter

I tried updating it to:

definition = creality_base

but I started getting a different error so i'm just going to remove the prebuilt printer and keep it generic.  Hopefully that helps someone here.