First Time Printing my own stl model..help?

xiragde

Posted · First Time Printing my own stl model..help?

Hi everyone, first time trying to print my own creation from blender. only been "modeling" for 4 days. not sure what the issue is. or atleast not sure what it means and how to fix. any ideas? printer is a cr10s pro. and i have attached the stl file if anyone can explain what i need to do.

tray.JPG

tray.stl

There are several issues with your STL file. It is not watertight, so the object is "open" somewhere, the faces are not closed/watertight. 

It is possible but not the best solution to use Blender for modeling for 3D printing. Better you use a CAD software like Fusion360, Tinkercad, Onsape, etc. They are free or free for non commercial usage.

If you still want to use Blender search YouTube how to model for 3D printing and what is important. I don't use Blender so I cannot give you some advices. 

If you want to rescue your current model you could try if a STL repair service is able to solve the problem. 

https://service.netfabb.com/login.php it is free you just need an account there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, xiragde said:

i have attached the stl file if anyone can explain what i need to do

It would be easier with the actual .blend file...

But the main problem are a lot of intersecting faces in the resulting stl file.

It's a bit guesswork... it seems like the two inner divisions are separate cubes that are crossing each other and are touching (but not connected to) the outer walls. This will not work for 3D printing because it results in intersections and overlapping geometry.

The whole piece is needed to be a single, manifold geometry. Don't stitch together separate parts in this way. Start with a single cube. Use only "scale", "loop cut" and "extrude" and you will get a box with a mesh topology that is perfectly suited for printing. Merge duplicate vertices before exporting - just to be sure.

Something like this:

Step 1 (loop cuts):

box_step_1.thumb.png.de05e9e10ab470df4c521decc3b6ee89.png

Step 2 (extrude):

box_step_2.thumb.png.c673611f075a37f4206dc608eeceaa82.png

It depends how good you are with Blender, but if you design simple objects like the one above you are much faster with a dedicated CAD software. So if you are new to Blender, check also the other applications I mentioned above. For sculpting and "creative" things Bender is the first choice for such things.