UBIS Hotend on an Ultimaker

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · UBIS Hotend on an Ultimaker

Yeah, I think this is a great idea. I was looking into designing my own for a while, before I discovered the UBIS design. The crux is the custom ceramic heater coil that they use. I've looked at other solutions which seem similar (http://www.makergear.com/pages/ceramic-heater-core-instructions) but haven't found anything close to being off-the-shelf or even semi-custom.

Lots of industrial suppliers make https://www.google.com/search?q=ring+heater&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS540US540&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=RwLBUvPsOIi2yAHlooGYDA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=798#es_sm=122&espv=210&q=nozzle+heater+bands&tbm=isch for injection molding machines, which are very similar to an ideal heating element for a 3D printer hotend. They generally seem too large though.

this hotend can only be used for the UM1 or for the UM2 as well?

which adjustments to hardware and software are required (for UM2)

thanks michael

this hotend can only be used for the UM1 or for the UM2 as well?

which adjustments to hardware and software are required (for UM2)

thanks michael

This hotend isn't designed for neither for UM1 or UM2, in any case, I don't see why you couldn't adapt it for UM2. I don't know if you will be able to use the mount Nick designed or if you will have to make your own.

In the firmware, maybe the PID values for the heating may change...

This is a big mod of the ultimaker that requires disassembling and possibly modifying various parts of it. If you are not confident enough... I wouldn't recommend it

hi ballanux,

thanks for your answer. The mechanical adjustment and assembly I trust to me. My worry is the adaptation of the firmware. For this I have no experience and need some help. I just ordered 2 hotend.

It makes sense to look the history behind the idea of mounting the UBIS on an Ultimaker.

It's more or less a logical next step for the http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/2839-the-physics-of-cooling/?p=27363. If you keep mounting clunky fans to the printhead you loose most of the benefits due to the hotend's compact and lightweight design (dual extrusion setups may benefit anyway).

The thermistor only requires a slightly changed firmware (new http://marlinbuilder.robotfuzz.com/) and adding a 4.7 kOhm resistor to the board. I soldered a connector there, so I can change back and forth without any soldering.

It makes sense to look the history behind the idea of mounting the UBIS on an Ultimaker.

It's more or less a logical next step for the crossflow cooling approach. If you keep mounting clunky fans to the printhead you loose most of the benefits due to the hotend's compact and lightweight design (dual extrusion setups may benefit anyway).

The thermistor only requires a slightly changed firmware (new Marlin builder) and adding a 4.7 kOhm resistor to the board. I soldered a connector there, so I can change back and forth without any soldering.

I also ordered a crossflow fan from conrad, I think my ultimaker is going to look a lot like yours :-P

The firmware usually doesn't need big changes, if you use common components. I used a 47K NTC (for the heated bed) I had around and had to input a new thermistor table into the firmware so I couldn't use the Marlin builder, but that's a great tool, it's really easy to build a new firmware and upload it to the printer!

Is there a tip compatible with the Ubis hot end that is smaller than 0.35mm?

Should be compatible with makergear nozzles, But I haven't confirmed that myself.

Just found a website that sells Ubis nozzles:

http://www.jerrill.com/shop/printrbot-nozzle/

Are people still in love with this hot end for PLA? I just got mine in today and trying to decide how much of a rush I should be in to switch over.

I am! My prints keep getting better and better. I will try to post some photos over the next few days.

Keep us in the loop please :-P

Designing or printing the printhead would not be a big problem.

as mechanical guy, my worries are in the electronics and marlin.

When somebody has all that sorted out, I like to know.

Perhaps there is money in it for one who makes a kit?

Finally my UBIS arrived today, looks like German customs is quite slow. Molex connectors are scheduled for tomorrow. Very curious about it ...

My UBIS arrived today, hopefully I get it working this weekend......

Keep us on the 'altitude' Harold :-P

I'll do, only need to build a new firmware but still needs to find out what to change.....

Should just need to swap the temp setting from thermocouple to thermistor.

Thank you for sending me in the right direction Nick !

@

Should just need to swap the temp setting from thermocouple to thermistor.

I assume the 3rd in the list?

thermocouple

@KitWasHere

I ordered at RS components (Germany). Worldwide: http://www.rs-components.com