UBIS Hotend on an Ultimaker

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · UBIS Hotend on an Ultimaker

Today I was able to fix my PCB and the new uploaded firmware is working now, both my heated bed and Ubis hot-end are measuring the right temperatures.

This evening I'll make my first print with the Ubis hot-end, can't wait!

Something weird:

Withworth BSW 1/4"-20 BSW (W 1/4"), 6.35 mm outer diameter, pitch 1.270 mm

Finished the hotend swap today and started printing.

First impressions:

- heats up in no time

- no noticeable temperature fluctuation

- first prints look very clean.

Yeah, I think the ceramic (non cartridge) version is essential to getting most of the benefits from this hotend. The melt zone, amount of radiated heat, and total weight are all higher with the aluminum cartridge version... none of which are desirable features.

Hmmm. . . Is this correct? I have a cartridge version on the way as we speak. I'd hate to go through all of the hassle for no real gains.

hey czucker,

I also missed the slot when the ceramic version was in stock and ordered the one with the cartridge heater. I installed it right in the moment and did a quick heating test.. All I can say at the moment is, it heats up very fast and has only the half of the weight from my E3d hotend ( 90 gr instead of 180 gr) .... I think it was not a so bad decision to order it (although the ceramic one maybe works better).

At the moment I could not make any estimations about clogging or how it behaves while doing long prints because I don´t have the time now to test it, but I`m really looking forward to do this the next few days.

Well that's heartening.

I'm on an upgrade kick after letting my printer collect dust for way too long.

I'll be following everyone's progress here with great interest.

-Chris

Czucker,

Compared with the original printhead of the UM1 , the Ubis cartridge version is still a very valuable upgrade !

First prints, temperature is still a little too high. The standard 100 k thermistor table works fine (tested with water at 100°C). The hot zone might be a little longer compared to the UM original hotend, so I'm printing approx. 10 °C lower.

The second part was of course printed without support. Just wanted to evaluate the small structure (3 mm diameter) overhang issue.

Layers: 0.1mm, printing speed: 50 mm/s, temperature: 200 - 205 °C, Ultimaker red PLA

ubis robot

ubis spiral

Something weird:

Withworth BSW 1/4"-20 BSW (W 1/4"), 6.35 mm outer diameter, pitch 1.270 mm

Thank you foehnsturm !

First prints, temperature is still a little too high. The standard 100 k thermistor table works fine (tested with water at 100°C). The hot zone might be a little longer compared to the UM original hotend, so I'm printing approx. 10 °C lower.

The second part was of course printed without support. Just wanted to evaluate the small structure (3 mm diameter) overhang issue.

Also testing several things myself, not finished yet to take the Ubis in 'production' :-)

This weekend my Ubis hot-end went into 'production'.

I've used Nick Foley's head-mount, adjusted the original file a little because I was breaking the head-mount when pushing the bearings into the holes.

The cables of the Ubis are on the outside of the head-mount, putting them inside giving me MAXTEMP errors.

At the end I've printed the head-mount in XT because the PLA version deformed after printing with it more then a half hour.

I don't have a crossflow fan like Nick does, perhaps that's the reason the PLA deformed.

Currently I'm designing a fan mount, meanwhile I use a desktop fan instead to cool the filament.

Print results are great, very happy with it!

IMG 1845

IMG 1855

A question for folks who've already installed theirs, how hot does the top of the hotend get when printing longer prints?

I didn't measured it, but my best guess is about 55 degrees because my PLA was deforming a little after 40 minutes printing without any kind of cooling.

Looks like you're using a heated bed as well, that probably plays a factor?

I was supposed to get parts I need for final assembly today but noooo, have to wait till tomorrow :(

Indeed, I have a heated bed, I set the temperature of that only at 56 degrees.

When I don't use my destop fan now, the head-mount feels warm at the end where the Ubis hot-end fits into the head-mount.

At the back on the left, it feels normal at room temperature so the heated bed doesn't have much effect on the temperature of the head-mount eventually.

The XT will hold just fine, but I feel more save to cool it with a fan on the head-mount.

I was supposed to get parts I need for final assembly today but noooo, have to wait till tomorrow :(

:blink:

Installed and printing. I'm using some FormFutura filament, and I get good extrusion at 195C @ 55 mm/s. It seems to me that either this filament has a really low melting point, or my thermistor is showing lower than real temps...

Other than that, it seems very good, but I still gotta do some tweaks all around the printer and test some more.

Hi Chopmeister,

Please post your findings. I am very interested in filament with low melting point to improve the UM2 underextrusion problems at higher speeds (so I hope...)

Thanks

Having installed 3 UBIS hotends now, my experience is that the thermistor reports temps around 20° lower than what the filament is actually seeing. Probably due to an improper thermistor table. Isn't a problem in practice though... the "temps" we print with are really just learned abstractions anyway.

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the intel. I suspected that, but since I don't have experience with UBIS hotends or FormFutura filament, I had to ask...

Anybody have a UBIS hotend their willing to sell? PM me, thanks!

Hi, I bought an UBIS hot end a while ago and now I'm decided to install it, but I don't have much idea of electronics. I have read the entire post and there is a lot of info, thank you for that! :) Now I have to buy a pair of cables and connectors but I have a question, do I need a special power cable so it doesn't get hot? Maybe is a noob question, but the ultimaker 1 heater cartridge cable seems like a "special" cable to me. And the last question, how should I ask for the (Molex?) connectors in the electronics store? Is there a model number or something like that?

Thank you all for this awesome post!

Just wanted to post a quick picture before going back to the olympic hockey (Sweden vs Latvia :) ).

I just finished wiring things up and just did a quick heat up to make sure the connections were working and that it squirted filament properly. Looking good so far. I don't have a cooling solution done yet so I didn't dare run an actual print.

No, the blue tape isn't a permanent solution :p

ubis

I don't have a cooling solution done yet so I didn't dare run an actual print.

Currently printing a 10 hour print job (4 hours to go) without any cooling, also without my desktop fan.

Object is big enough to print without the need for fans.

I see you printed your head-mount with XT, it will hold the temperature of the hot-end.