Unable to export profile in Cura 4.8.0

ultimaker_user

Posted · Unable to export profile in Cura 4.8.0

Hi, 

I am trying to store the settings I have been tweaking for days so that I can use it for different STL files. I read that I can do that by exporting profile.

However, under Settings->Preferences->Profile, there is no Manage Profiles option.

I see an Import and Export tabs but the Export tab is dimmed.

Form this thread, I double checked from Makerplace that I already have Cura Profile Reader enable.

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/4680

Please let me know how to save the settings to a file for future use. Thank you.

8 hours ago, ultimaker_user said:

I am trying to store the settings I have been tweaking for days so that I can use it for different STL files. I read that I can do that by exporting profile.

Exporting is only handy if you want to use it as a file for backup or if you want to import it into a different Cura installation (AFAIK).

Anyway: The "Cura Profile Writer" has to be enabled, not (only) the reader. And according to the manual there's an "Activate" step to do first (this will enable the "Export" button).

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012480959-How-to-manage-printing-profiles-in-Ultimaker-Cura

Posted (edited) · Unable to export profile in Cura 4.8.0

Thank you. If I want to have different sets of settings for different filaments/projects, is exporting the profile the approach to use?

If after printing a STL file and I want to use the same settings on a different STL, will opening the second STL file and then deleting the original STL object under PREPARE allow me to use the same settings on the second STL object?

Before I created this thread, I followed the steps in the link you provided. Under Profile, I have the following tabs: Activate (dimmed), Create, Remove (dimmed), Rename (dimmed), Import, Export (dimmed). Is the correct procedure is that I have to first create a profile and give it a name. Then, Export is enable for me to choose to save the settings? Without creating a profile, the Export button is dimmed all the time.

Edited by ultimaker_user

4 hours ago, ultimaker_user said:

Is the correct procedure is that I have to first create a profile and give it a name.

Sure. There's nothing to export if nothing is created. Default profiles can not be exported AFAIK - those are read-only.

...and once a custom profile is created you simply select it from the list (if you want to use it for a print).

I think "Create profile from current settings" is all what you're looking for, the export function is a whole different topic.

All you need is in this dropdown menu:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012380880