Arc Welder Anti Stutter plugin

ahoeben

Posted (edited) · Arc Welder Anti Stutter plugin

9 hours ago, Snarg said:

Here is the firmware I am using:

I've had a quick look at the source included in that link, and it looks like support for printing arcs has been disabled. If you want to enable it, uncomment line 1872 of Configuration_adv.h and recompile the firmware.

Edited by ahoeben
  • Like 1

Posted · Arc Welder Anti Stutter plugin

Hey,

I just wanted to say that installing via the marketplace didn't work, but I downloaded the latest dev build from the link in this thread, dropped it onto the build plate in Cura 4.8, and after a restart it all showed up.

Many thanks.

I have a Creality CR 10 S pro.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FormerLurker said:

I want to personally thank you again for fielding all these questions.

Hey, no problem. I get part of the thanks for creating the plugin that contains your work; it is only natural that I also take part of the blame when things don't work ;-).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brunoosti said:

Have anyone tried this with junction deviation?

For the record, I have not.

Try it, and report back. I'm sure other users with printers supporting junction deviation will like reading about your results.

Had some bad surface artifacts with JD and lots of stuttering, mostly in curves. Maybe the "one segment" created by Arc Welder can help JD in the way it calculates the path. Maybe it will cripple the printer haha... Let's see. 

Will compile a new firmware enabling Junction Deviation and try with Arc Welder. Get back in a couple of days : )

12 minutes ago, brunoosti said:

Am I interpreting something wrong?

I can't really tell from the screenshot; it is much too small, and if I don't also see a before I can't judge the after.

Oh sorry! That should be a circle. See the gcode with no WA.

The one with WA shows more straight lines in the arc (if that makes any sense)

image.thumb.png.c07a563fecbd4b1fcdc9cbda9347540b.png

Edited by brunoosti

Your screenshots get scaled by the forum software. Not your fault, but I can hardly see that the first screenshot is not a circle. I'ld rather see the entire gcode than stare at a picture. I don't know how accurately ncviewer displays arcs with large diameters.

Edited by ahoeben

There you go. 

Maybe it's just the graphical representation,? But this is what i see in NC viewer: 

normal.gcode with AW.gcodeimage.thumb.png.f5648c18099ac51123e4a36ffca9dff2.png

Edited by brunoosti

If the single circle outside is the skirt (not sure what layer we're looking at), that is printed with one glorious arc command. So the tessellated look seems to be just a visualisation error in ncviewer. How you firmware handles it is a second question though.

Print it, print it, print it!

Cool! Hope so : ) 

(the outermost is a skirt and the rest would be a 2mm cylinder) 

I'm preparing everything and finishing a print right now. Will come back with junction deviation results.

Marvel at the achievement of ArcWelder for a while though. If you look at that the "without ArcWelder" screenshot, each small dot represents a linear move. There are literally hundreds of moves (gcode commands) in that single layer. ArcWelder has "compressed" all that into no more than 8 extruding gcode commands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brunoosti said:

There you go. 

Maybe it's just the graphical representation,? But this is what i see in NC viewer: 

It is 100% a visualization problem.  If you have OctoPrint installed anywhere, I highly recommend using 'PrettyGcodeViewer' to look at these files.  It uses a port of Marlin 2.0's arc interpolation algorithm, so you can be sure what you are see is what you will get.  Barring that, Simplify 3d is the 2nd best viewer, though it also renders arcs with a relatively low resolution (think scad's facet setting if it is low).  It is still very good.  NCViewer.com is SO SO close to being great, but it does need a few tweaks, like ignoring some gcodes (it treats progress gcodes like arcs for some reason) and increasing the number of facets per arc.

• Like 3

A new version of the plugin is now available from the Marketplace. If you installed a development snapshot before, you should just be able to press Update in the Marketplace to get the new version with all the fixes that were in the development snapshot (and one more).

• Like 1

Testing junction deviation with linear advance and arc welder: 

First test: linear advance + junction deviation + arc welder + "G90 influences extruder" on.

This caused the extruder to vibrate a lot on corners, with the XY movement almost completely stopping there.  Gave up the print on the first layer afraid it could damage de extruder.  Curved motion was smooth on the XY axis.

Second test: linear advance + junction deviation + arc welder + "G90 influences extruder" off.

Same. Maybe LA is causing the issue.

Third test: junction deviation + arc welder + "G90 influences extruder" on.

No vibration on the extruder. Overall smooth movement, but the printer still stops for a second on some corners leaving a melted spot (not a blob of filament).

Forth test: classic jerk + linear advance + arc welder + "G90 influences extruder" on

No vibration on the extruder. Overall smooth movement. No stopping on corners. It seams the problem was JD all along. Unfortunately arc welder does not help "fixing" junction deviation.

• Like 2

@fieldOfView, I got a few issues about UltiGcode, and went ahead and added support in the latest master.  Working on a release right now, so no need to deal with this in the plugin.

@brunoosti, Sorry if you already mentioned this (I scanned, but could not find this), but what version of Marlin are you running?  I know some changes have been made to JD recently, and am curious in case I run across an issue that is related.

I'm running a slightly modified version of Knutwurst's i3 MEGA (M/S/P/X) Firmware, based on Marlin 2.0.x

https://github.com/knutwurst/Marlin-2-0-x-Anycubic-i3-MEGA-S

I don't think it has any new implementation of JD as on a recent update he disabled it. 

@fieldOfView, I noticed that the default options have both 'Min Arc Segments' and 'MM per Arc Segment' filled in.  That will kick in firmware compensation.  Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  Anyone using Marlin 1.0 (or a fork) will have fewer issues with small arcs, but other users will have less compression around tight curves.  I'm wondering if an 'Enable Firmware Compensation' box should be added that shows these two controls when checked?  If it is disabled, both options can be set to 0, which will disable firmware compensation.

Not sure if it should be enabled by default or not, honestly.  Maybe some help could be included?  I have this feature documented now in the ArcWelderLib readme.  In any case, I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Also, looks like the popularity has spiked over the last week!  Hopefully it's bringing you more patrons!  I may have to sign up myself 🙂

1 hour ago, FormerLurker said:

looks like the popularity has spiked over the last week!

I think that's mostly due to this video:

1 hour ago, FormerLurker said:

I'm wondering if an 'Enable Firmware Compensation' box should be added that shows these two controls when checked? 

I finally understand how these settings are supposed to work now. I'll work that into the next version of the plugin.

• Like 1

that video is what brought me. Im using it currently on my Tevo Nereus but its also has non stock board with Marlin 2.x installed. I was using it without the G90 but noticed it the other day. Seems to work pretty decently so far with my setup but i do only get a small amount of compression however im using some pretty large files at the moment

I should probably also mention that I am printing with a .08 tip in point .06 Resolution so im not sure i would notice a significant difference in print. The MKS GenL board hasnt given me much problems but i had noticed before the switch over i was getting some real random movement issues so i said why not try this. 

Edited by JRANGER