Arc Welder Anti Stutter plugin

ahoeben

Posted · Arc Welder Anti Stutter plugin

When I enable Arc welder on my printer (ENDER 3 V2 PRO USING CURA) it just freaks out. it over extrudes by like 500 % and doesn't even print the model. Can SOMEONE PLEASE RESPOND to this post because this problem is really annoying. I think the code contains so many bugs..... very disappointing  😑😡

1 hour ago, ScoutParamotor said:

SOMEONE PLEASE RESPOND

Please tone down, or this will be the last time I will respond to you.

It is possible that your printer uses a firmware version that does not have support for printing arc movements.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Arc Welder Anti Stutter plugin
    3 hours ago, ScoutParamotor said:

When I enable Arc welder on my printer (ENDER 3 V2 PRO USING CURA) it just freaks out. it over extrudes by like 500 % and doesn't even print the model. Can SOMEONE PLEASE RESPOND to this post because this problem is really annoying. I think the code contains so many bugs..... very disappointing  😑😡

This software is free, was made by people working in their free time, and the source code is open and available to anyone who wants to take a look and help improve it, so please keep that in mind.

Second, your problem is almost certainly due to arcs being disabled in your firmware.  I'm guessing you upgraded your printer with a bed leveler, and flashed new firmware for that.  I see lots of these firmware forks, and most of them have arcs disabled for creality printers due to limited program space.

It's very easy to check to see if arcs are enabled within your printer's firmware by sending the following command to your printer (easiest way is with the OctoPrint terminal) and see how it responds:

G2

If it says 'unknown command' or something similar to that, arcs are disabled and you cannot print any gcode that contains arc commands.  If it says, "Invalid Parameters", arcs are enabled and the fault is likely with ArcWelder itslef.

Edited by FormerLurker
    typos
    • Like 3

What about Reported error: G2/G3 bad parameters. I don't see any G2 codes being sent but a lot of G1 codes in my OctoPrint. I have not installed ARC on my Octo but have in CURA. 

53 minutes ago, FormerLurker said:

This software is free, was made by people working in their free time, and the source code is open and available to anyone who wants to take a look and help improve it, so please keep that in mind.

Second, your problem is almost certainly due to arcs being disabled in your firmware.  I'm guessing you upgraded your printer with a bed leveler, and flashed new firmware for that.  I see lots of these firmware forks, and most of them have arcs disabled for creality printers due to limited program space.

It's very easy to check to see if arcs are enabled within your printer's firmware by sending the following command to your printer (easiest way is with the OctoPrint terminal) and see how it responds:

G2

If it says 'unknown command' or something similar to that, arcs are disabled and you cannot print any gcode that contains arc commands.  If it says, "Invalid Parameters", arcs are enabled and the fault is likely with ArcWelder itslef.

4 hours ago, ScoutParamotor said:

... very disappointing

If the firmware doesn't understand arc moves then any G2 or G3 commands are ignored by the printer.  The printer then cycles through the gcode file until it finds a line that it understands.  Extrusion jumps to a new value and causes massive over-extrusion along a line that shouldn't have been connected in the first place, and in fact may be at a significantly different Z elevation.

My Ender 3 Pro with Marlin 1.1.8 understands G2 and G3.  It sees this Arc Welder gcode file like this.

1375091674_intake2.thumb.png.305b2ec0a28700067c4776f14aab0160.png

A printer that doesn't understand G2/G3 sees the same gcode file like this.

893119995_Intake1.thumb.png.6b7b2140dfb86953fd8953a91c3f8917.png

It would be a mess.  If you don't understand your printer/firmware capabilities you will often be disappointed, or even worse, surprised.

58 minutes ago, JRANGER said:

Reported error: G2/G3 bad parameters

That means they are enabled, so you should be good to go!  If you are using OctoPrint, that will disconnect your printer, but that's expected, and causes no harm.  Just reconnect and know that empty G2/G3 commands will NOT be generated by ArcWelder (unless there is a bug, lol).

I don't see any G2 codes being sent but a lot of G1 codes in my OctoPrint

Just open the file and search for G2/G3 commands and see if there are any.  If you are using OctoPrint, you might want to try out the beta version of the Arc Welder OctoPrint plugin (you can disable it later when you are comfortable).  It has a firmware checker, will give you a ton of useful statistics you can use to see what ArcWelder is doing, and has detailed help files explaining all of the settings.  That might be useful for you until you are comfortable enough with ArcWelder to switch back to the cura plugin, which is a lot faster and more convenient in many cases.  If you are interested, see these instructions and leave any feedback (please do) here.  Also, FYI, the new version will not even attempt to re-weld any files that were previously welded, so nothing will happen if you are welding in Cura.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2021 at 12:33 PM, brunoosti said:

Testing junction deviation with linear advance and arc welder: 

First test: linear advance + junction deviation + arc welder + "G90 influences extruder" on.

This caused the extruder to vibrate a lot on corners, with the XY movement almost completely stopping there.  Gave up the print on the first layer afraid it could damage de extruder.  Curved motion was smooth on the XY axis.

Second test: linear advance + junction deviation + arc welder + "G90 influences extruder" off.

Same. Maybe LA is causing the issue.

Third test: junction deviation + arc welder + "G90 influences extruder" on.

No vibration on the extruder. Overall smooth movement, but the printer still stops for a second on some corners leaving a melted spot (not a blob of filament).

Forth test: classic jerk + linear advance + arc welder + "G90 influences extruder" on

No vibration on the extruder. Overall smooth movement. No stopping on corners. It seams the problem was JD all along. Unfortunately arc welder does not help "fixing" junction deviation.

In addition to my tests, it seams Arc Welder aid some Linear Advance calculation issue where the printer would rattle a bit in inside walls (or maybe overlapping ones - I'm printing a 2mm curved shell), trying to compensate extrusion vs path, with not that smooth movements.

With Arc Welder the printer must input the long arc for Linear Advance to calculate extrusion and movement is always continuous and smooth. That is such an improvement : )).

Sometimes I still see the printer almost stopping at corners right before a curve,  extruding absolutely no filament (LA in the works) but leaving that melted dot as described before. 

9 hours ago, FormerLurker said:

I'm guessing you upgraded your printer with a bed leveler

My printer is still completely stock and doesnt have a bed leveler. When slicing the model looks fine but when printing it just freaks out. tried last night and started printing without pre-heating🤣. Looks like its back to normal printing for me...

8 hours ago, GregValiant said:

My Ender 3 Pro with Marlin 1.1.8 understands G2 and G3.  It sees this Arc Welder gcode file like this.

Mine see's it like that as well but when printing it freaks.

12 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Please tone down, or this will be the last time I will respond to you.

Not trying to be rude just annoying when 3D printing doesn't go your way. Everything is stock on my ender 3 V2 PRO and firmware is version 1.0.2. Just doesn't want to work. 😔

I believe that stock Ender 3 v2 Pro's firmware comes with Arc support disabled by default, so ArcWelder would not work for you, @ScoutParamotor.

Did you try the G2 command, as FormerLurker suggested? If so, what was the result?

Can someone confirm this? when printing the first layer of a benchy (lots of curves on the letters) the printer slows down so much that the letters get melted, or the extruder simply is not that precise enough and cant extrude so little filament, leaving an under extruded first layer.

It has no relation to linear advance, as I've tested with and without. 

Maybe it's my printer's firmware arc settings?

// G2/G3 Arc Support
    //
    #define ARC_SUPPORT                 // Disable this feature to save ~3226 bytes
    #if ENABLED(ARC_SUPPORT)
      #define MM_PER_ARC_SEGMENT      1 // (mm) Length (or minimum length) of each arc segment (default: 1)
      //#define ARC_SEGMENTS_PER_R    1 // Max segment length, MM_PER = Min
      #define MIN_ARC_SEGMENTS        24 // Minimum number of segments in a complete circle (default: 24)
      //#define ARC_SEGMENTS_PER_SEC 50 // Use feedrate to choose segment length (with MM_PER_ARC_SEGMENT as the minimum)
      #define N_ARC_CORRECTION       25 // Number of interpolated segments between corrections
      #define ARC_P_CIRCLES             // Enable the 'P' parameter to specify complete circles
      #define CNC_WORKSPACE_PLANES      // Allow G2/G3 to operate in XY, ZX, or YZ planes
    #endif

@brunoosti, Those settings look fine, but the slowdowns are concerning.  What version of marlin are you running?  At least 2.0.6 is recommended, else you may have slowdowns depending on your other settings.  There have also been fixes since 2.0.6, but I hear there may be some issues in the latest bugfix branch if you are running OctoPrint, so stick with the stable release for now.

17 hours ago, ScoutParamotor said:

Not trying to be rude just annoying when 3D printing doesn't go your way. Everything is stock on my ender 3 V2 PRO and firmware is version 1.0.2. Just doesn't want to work. 😔

I understand things can be frustrating, and appreciate your being reflective. 

It is very important that you make sure Arcs are enabled on your printer, though.  I have seen this issue 100s of times, and it's usually Creality printers or custom built firmware.  Also, to be clear, I am NOT putting down your printer, any creality printer, or any other printer at all, just pointing out that this is relatively common.  In fact, I bought my folks an Ender3, and am happy with it.  Disabling arc support is usually done to save memory so that other features can be added.  If memory is not an issue, generally arcs are not disabled.

Trying to print an Arc Welded file without arcs enabled is like trying to run Cyberpunk 2077 without a GPU, it just won't work.  If arcs are disabled, your printer simply won't understand the commands it is sent, even if the commands themselves are correct.  G2/G3 (arc commands) will simply be skipped in this case by your firmware.  If you are using relative extrusion, you will get just a mess of spaghetti around all curves, and the infill might even look (mostly) fine.  If you are using absolute extrusion in your slicer (definitely possible) that will cause huge blobs, nasty sounding noises from your extruder, and all kinds of other issues.  What you will be left with is a total mess.  Since that's pretty much what you are describing, I'm almost certain you would need to enable arcs in your firmware to get arc welder working.  Again, I'm saying this because of my experience helping dozens and dozens of users with the exact same issue. 

Posted (edited) · Arc Welder Anti Stutter plugin

@FormerLurker, I'm running a slightly modified version of Knutwurst's i3 MEGA (M/S/P/X) Firmware, based on Marlin 2.0.5, it seams:  https://github.com/knutwurst/Marlin-2-0-x-Anycubic-i3-MEGA-S

My board is also 8bit. Could that interfere?

Edited by brunoosti

5 minutes ago, brunoosti said:

@FormerLurker, I'm running a slightly modified version of Knutwurst's i3 MEGA (M/S/P/X) Firmware, based on Marlin 2.0.x:  https://github.com/knutwurst/Marlin-2-0-x-Anycubic-i3-MEGA-S

My board is also 8bit. Could that interfere?

8 bit is fine.  However, I have quite a bit of experience dealing with that fork.  Most of this issue was spent figuring that out.  At that point, it turned out arcs were disabled in the firmware.  In this issue on the firmware repo a few settings problems were identified and fixed in this commit.  However, I do not know if the arc fixes from Marlin 2.0.6+ have worked their way into that fork.  You may want to post on knutwurst's repo and ask about this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FormerLurker said:

If arcs are disabled, your printer simply won't understand the commands it is sent, even if the commands themselves are correct.  G2/G3 (arc commands) will simply be skipped in this case by your firmware.

Appreciate your help bro. The only problem is that I don't have Octoprint to send the G2 command line. can I somehow do it by connecting my printer to Cura?

4 hours ago, ScoutParamotor said:

can I somehow do it by connecting my printer to Cura?

Not easily with Cura, but you can try Printrun: https://www.pronterface.com/

3 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Not easily with Cura, but you can try Printrun: https://www.pronterface.com/

Oooohhhh. I imagine Repetier-Host will work as well?

HAHA, finally ran into an issue with it. I tried it on my stock (Other Then HotEnd) Tevo Tornado Gold Edition which has Marlin 2.05 something on it...Didnt like it, probably doesnt have ARCs enabled. So ill have to dig into that, its been good stock so ive been trying not to change the firmware on it 

hello! i try to make it working the plugin arc welder for cura , i install from market manager seem to be installed but nothing change on the time of printing ... can you help me ?  

imagen.png

Could you describe the problem in more detail? What did not "change on the time of printing"?

Firstly, ensure that arc support is enabled in the firmware (see similar posts above).

Secondly, if your question is about improvement in printing time, then you will not see much improvement. The printing time will be roughly the same as without ArcWelder. The printer need to extrude the same amount of filament as before, and that will take the same time.

19 hours ago, PricklyPear said:

Could you describe the problem in more detail? What did not "change on the time of printing"?

Firstly, ensure that arc support is enabled in the firmware (see similar posts above).

Secondly, if your question is about improvement in printing time, then you will not see much improvement. The printing time will be roughly the same as without ArcWelder. The printer need to extrude the same amount of filament as before, and that will take the same time.

seem its working only the process to transform gcod is made after when need to get gcod file , i think cura plugin need to be more completed with the same option like octoprint plugin , thank you

41 minutes ago, labotecno said:

i think cura plugin need to be more completed with the same option like octoprint plugin

Can you elaborate what functionality you need?