Arc Welder Anti Stutter plugin

ahoeben

Posted · Arc Welder Anti Stutter plugin
5 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

Can you elaborate what functionality you need?

yes i think plugin octoprint is better than cura plugin

the only way to see its working is see this windows imagen.thumb.png.a3a61e666cf62db8aee7b5f042c59572.png

miss statue  process gcod  , size , ratio compress .

Something its telling arc welder plugin for cura  is working , because i getting octoprint for make it working , thinking cura plugin is not working ... by the way i m testing , you make a very good job thank you

On 2/9/2021 at 6:58 AM, ScoutParamotor said:

When I enable Arc welder on my printer (ENDER 3 V2 PRO USING CURA) it just freaks out. it over extrudes by like 500 % and doesn't even print the model. Can SOMEONE PLEASE RESPOND to this post because this problem is really annoying. I think the code contains so many bugs..... very disappointing  😑😡

Just saw this when reading this thread. Running Cura 4.8, and my printer is an Ender 3 Pro, with Marlin 2.0.7.2. Installed the Cura plugin for Arc Welder (ver. 3.5.0) and all ran beautifully...great curves!!! Upgraded to 3.5.1 and everything went to hell.  Extruder starts by laying down a HUGE amount of material before simply going bonkers. I manually rolled the Arc Welder plugin back, resliced and all is well again. Unsure what I can provide to determine what happened between 3.5.0 and 3.5.1 in the plugin world.

Posted (edited) · Arc Welder Anti Stutter plugin
    9 hours ago, mark-reynolds said:

Unsure what I can provide to determine what happened between 3.5.0 and 3.5.1 in the plugin world.

You could provide a link to the gcode produced by both 3.5.0 and 3.5.1 with a small-ish model, so we can have a look at the difference in output.

Edited by ahoeben

20 hours ago, labotecno said:

the only way to see its working is see this windows

Huh, I did not realize this was visible at all.  I'll see if it can be removed, because I think it is untidy that it shows up.

Before it even showed the gcode file size savings percentage. 

Still didn't get any luck with my anycubic i3 mega-s. Could it be the minimal segments is set to 24?

You can really notice the issue when printing a Benchy. The printer sloths at each lettering under the boat, not extruding (maybe because the printer is so slow that the extruder cant "keep up") or melding what it had extruded. 

@ahoeben I was wrong. Manually installing the Arc Welder plugin in Cura did not correctly generate the necessary gcode. It simply ignores the arc welder option when slicing and the file generated is exactly the same as one w/o the arc welder option. Reinstalling the 3.5.1 arc welder plugin from the Marketplace DOES generate the necessary gcode, but it still has the same issues of simply extruding lots of material in a puddle, and then just ramdomly roaming around the print bed.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mark-reynolds said:

Manually installing the Arc Welder plugin in Cura did not correctly generate the necessary gcode. It simply ignores the arc welder option when slicing and the file generated is exactly the same as one w/o the arc welder option

That's what I was sort of expecting had happened; the 3.5.0 version would not load due to a missing dependency for some people.

8 hours ago, mark-reynolds said:

it still has the same issues of simply extruding lots of material in a puddle, and then just ramdomly roaming around the print bed.

This sounds like your firmware does not support Arc movements. I should probably put an effort in adding documentation.

• Like 1

@ahoeben Sounds good. I'm good to go for now. Will see if I can get a Marlin build that will support the arc movements and re-test. Your efforts are appreciated!

Is there a way to install the plugin manually?  We have machines not connected to the internet. We've downloaded the plugin from github (https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-ArcWelderPlugin) and it fails to show up as installed or under Special Modes.  All of our other plugins we manually installed work/show up.  We are installing to  C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.8.0\plugins by copying the extracted zip file contents (like we have other plugins)

8 hours ago, ajawamnet said:

We've downloaded the plugin from github (https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-ArcWelderPlugin) and it fails to show up as installed or under Special Modes

That should work. Cura.log may have a hint about why it is not working.

Alternatively, download the current curapackage and drop it onto the buildplate in Cura as it you were opening a 3d model. If you do so, I recommend you remove the files for ArcWelder you manually put in the configuration folder first.

Thank you!!! That works. I figured it out last night by going on to a machine with internet access and had File Locater Pro scan for changes. Found the curapackage in the  \AppData\\Local\\cura\\4.8\\cache\\ directory after adding it to the install, but before restarting.  I copied that to the off line machine and it worked. I noticed that the curapackage files are zip format.

Now if I could only find a real backplot program to step thru lines of G Code like we have in the CNC world... no luck so far.

"...find a real backplot program to step thru lines of G Code.."

Excuse me, you do happen to be running Windows?  I've been looking for a guineau pig Test Pilot for this.  It's on the recovery page as "Gcode Debugger".  It will step through starting at the line you choose.  You can air print (ignore the Z) and you can also ignore the extrusions if you want.  Here is a screen shot.

Debugger.thumb.png.d6aa7f1711102691218019d3c7ed7852.png

It's an unsigned app and you may have to fool your anti-virus to allow the setup file to run.  There are instructions and a readme file.  Here is the download link.  Let me know what you think.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1

I've tried a bunch of backplotters - the only one I could find that sort of acts like a Gcode backplot is the CAD-KAS one. I'll give yours a shot - thanks for the link....

Upon reflection (I reviewed your other post) I don't think it's what you want.  It simply sends gcode line-by-line to the printer and allows alteration of the Gcode stream.  Useful, but not really descriptive.

So as I mentioned I got CAD KAS to backplot the two different G code outputs  - with and without Arc Welder.  Pretty cool as to how that works - see the youboob vid. Note that you need to set the I,J,K parameters to modal. But notice in the vid how much faster the Arc Welder plot simulates on the exact same STL sliced with Arc Welder enabled (I'm using the plugin in Cura 4.8)

https://youtu.be/-4M262FHMYI

arc-vs-nonarc.jpg

Edited by ajawamnet

Greg - thanks for the update.  Finding a Gcode backplot that handled Marlin was a real pain. I've designed parts and run CNC machines for over 20 years and none of the half dozen ones I use would play nice with Cura output. On a side note - I was doing 3D printing back in 1996 - for one of the first wireless IoT patents I got -

see this http://www.ajawamnet.com/amnet/index.html

This was done on SLA by Brookfield Rapid Prototyping (I think they were in New England)

Note how smooth the one yellow enclosure is. As Doug ( the guy in the photo ) mentioned he still has those 3D prints and stated they are starting to melt around the innards/PC Boards.

I had to use AutoCAD 11 for that design - which sucked - it was the first program they had that supported primitive solid modeling (you had to add, subtract, etc..)  - Before that I was doing a lot of 3D surface stuff in ACAD 10.

So I became one of Solidworks' first customers in 1995. Did over 3,000 product designs (mainly the electronics - http://www.ajawamnet.com/  ). I ended up getting my own small CNC back in the late 90's.

So I'm a newcomer to 3D printing. One of the reasons for my backplotter request - with CNC you don't just load code on the controller without seeing if you'll crash the tool.  I'm kinda amazed at how much further the 3D printer world needs to go as to supporting typical manufacturing methodologies.  My one marketturd rant    - http://www.ajawamnet.com/ajawamnet/marketturd.htm  - Mama I wanna be a maker is a bit terse, but I'm sure seasoned machinists look at me in the same way. Actually I'm sure of it - I had one in my shop - http://www.ajawamnet.com/ajawam3/swarf/swarf.htm

and he was drooling over my late father-in-law's Gerstner (he was a tool & diemaker)  He gave me a lot of "young whippersnaper" kinda comments - even tho I'm 60 years old. Machinst's back then hated CNC - called people Stock Jockeys  since all they did was to load billets into the machine and push a button or hand code some Gcode.

Edited by ajawamnet

It's easier to be fast and loose when there isn't any material in the way.  It's a whole different thing when you're removing material with a 2" cutter in an 8" deep pocket.  Fast travels through a wall of steel could ruin at least your day (and a lot longer if you caught a cutter shard in an eye).

On 3/1/2021 at 11:01 AM, ahoeben said:

That should work. Cura.log may have a hint about why it is not working.

Alternatively, download the current curapackage and drop it onto the buildplate in Cura as it you were opening a 3d model. If you do so, I recommend you remove the files for ArcWelder you manually put in the configuration folder first.

Tried all of the above, but still no sign of arc welder in cura 4.8.0

It should show up  in the Special Modes section

arcwelder.png

4 hours ago, marcel0611 said:

no sign of arc welder in cura 4.8.0

Then I am going to need a look at your Cura.log. Go to Help -> Show configuration folder, locate Cura.log and post it somewhere (dropbox, google drive, pastebin.com). Then post a link here.

I have started to try Arc welder but getting some weird 1st layer behaviour.

Tried two different model and the result is similar. If you look at the picture you see a strange pattern that is neither in the model nor visible in Cura preview.

First try I did was worse than this, broke off what was supposed to be a continuous outer wall. This one I let run and it seem to fill ok.

IMG_3122.jpg

The preview in Cura does not show the Arc movements, because of three reasons:

* Like all postprocessing in Cura, the ArcWelder postprocessing does not happen until the gcode is saved.

* The Preview does not actually show gcode, but "layer data" created by CuraEngine in parallel to the gcode.

* The Preview in Cura does not support Arc movements.

So that part is explained.

The Ultimaker 3 firmware is based on a very old version of Marlin. Arc support seems to be enabled (the fork is so old that there is not a flag to disable Arc support), but I don't know how well it works. The error you are seeing could be an error in the gcode created/processed by this plugin, or it could be an error in how the Ultimaker 3 interprets the gcode.

• Like 1

In the attached example G Code, note that Cura will not display it correctly. In the Repetier screenshot, it does process the G3 arcs correctly. In the video below you'll see the backplot of the attached G Code in Basic CNC Viewer. The white squares are end points. Note you'll have to watch it on youtube to get any kind of decent video resolution...

arcweld-cura.jpg

arcweld-rep.jpg

lensecvr 3Dmake PETG PETG-P6noz-p3ht noz 0.6 lw 0.55mm lh 0.3mm if 10% ext1 240.0C bed 75.0C.gcode

Edited by ajawamnet

Solution for slowing too much before some curves (anycubic i3 mega-s with that firmware in the link, in my case): https://github.com/knutwurst/Marlin-2-0-x-Anycubic-i3-MEGA-S/issues/80

henniero commented 8 hours ago

I had the same issue. I found this thread in the reprap forum https://reprap.org/forum/read.php?415,869738,869785
    I changed line 219 in Marlin>src>gcode>motion>G2_G3.cpp

if (!planner.buffer_line(raw, scaled_fr_mm_s, active_extruder, 0 // "0" was "seg_length" in original version

I replaced "seg_length" with "0" at the end.
    I built a new firmware with my printer-configuration from the platform.io envelope choice.
    Issue fixed for me with that version.

• Like 1

Hey! After changing that file line, I think Arc Welder indeed "fixed" Junction Deviation. 
    Making some tests right now, but the part that always gave me zits before is completely smooth. No rattling during curved moventes and great corners. 
    The only thing a bit different is that the extruder is more aggressive on the corners with linear advance.

Give me some curved surface to test with that always gave you problems using JD. 

IMG_20210317_151656.jpg

Edited by brunoosti