Will Cura get *real vase mode* back?

msageryd

Posted · Will Cura get *real vase mode* back?

Hi @GregValiant,

Yes I'll remember this one -and sure this was a small error in the X/Y axis..

Sometimes I thought also the Z axis was off -but I was just fooled as Cura, as it “sometimes” did not want to go into real spiralized mode. I found this by studying the gcode files in preview mode, -as every next line it jumped up to next level height.

I thought this was probably some issues, as Cura steadily increased the number of new function/adjustment possibilities that’s needed some attention to make this function work.

However, later on I figured this “might” have been some “round off” issue, cause Cura always did this small movement to catch up the “say predicted position” that’s calculated ahead. Also the angle of the wall, tilting outward or inward play a role here. So the math here is kind of intricate..

By just adjusting; layer height/width -one could improve this somehow.

So “when layer width increased” the error correction was from inside of object to correct spot joining the path direction/tilt from previous layer. When the nozzle move like this, you see a line inside where this “correction” is done (-sure a small notch might also be seen outside).

When printing a symmetrical cylinder there is no X/Y track offset, only some offset along the print track (the back fort movement), again maybe “round off” issue?

Then when the layer width decrease the opposite happen, yes error corrected from the outside of the object.

Just some small thing learned about this “problem”.

-------

However, Burt have found the error here and fixed it.

In the read me file about this he says:

“* Spiralized models that are not 100% solid can be printed using variable line widths.”

This one work very well, I can confirm it -but the viewer (preview mode), still show small line and this will be easily fixed I’ll think.

Anyway, Cura is a great slicer..

Thanks

Torgeir

Posted (edited) · Will Cura get *real vase mode* back?

Torgier - Long time no hear from.  As you can see, nothing has changed.

I have a feeling that the Cura Team will look at this in the near future (if not already).  It's one of those things that can generate a lot of complaints and doesn't seem to be printer specific.

I don't keep gcode files but looking back at the models I've printed in spiralize none of them had sharp included angles like this particular light shade.  It's nearly non-printable without support.  I never got around to downloading Burtoogle's version of Cura since I've got about 15 different slicers already.  Maybe it's time.

Speaking of slicers, the light shade looked pretty good in Prusaslicer and there weren't any G0 moves in the gcode file.

Edited by GregValiant

Hi Greg,

Well, the Cura “team” said that this problem has not been prioritized -and it might be due to issues we knows little about. Also, we should know, -such fix might impact next version(s) of Cura (they are working on?).

Of course, I’ve also using a “number” of slicers, but all of them are different versions of Cura.. 🙂

But there is also one other slicer I’ve; the Simpify 3D (S3D), this one since ~2015. I’ve used this slicer together with Cura as the preview in S3D was much better. I’m still using this function in S3D for “comparing” when there is issues found in “preview” mode.

Sure -also using Burts Master version of Cura for the same reason. His latest version really make a nice vase printing, in here there is no G0, just one in the start part to prevent blob. So I’ll think -if Cura “team” find this one compatible it’ll soon be implemented into Cura.

Burt have delivered a number of “fork” that’s implemented into the Original version of Cura. Way to go! 🙂

So, IMO Cura is the best slicer there is -and it is free for us to use.

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Text.

I write a little code and I came up with a front end program for my printer.  Part of the development was to make sure it was compatible with different gcode flavors and different slicers.  I have a LOT of slicers (SmartAvionics Cura will be next).  Some have nicer UI's.  Some are more intuitive.  Many were originally based on Cura although they seem to have split off and become proprietary.  I like Cura.  It can be frustrating since there are so many variables.  Seeing some of the complaints here, on Reddit, and on a couple of other sites makes me smile (mostly because I'm not the one having to put salve on somebody's sore spot).

There just aren't that many "straight A - 4.0" students out there yet everyone wants perfection from a mechanical device that they barely understand and was the absolute cheapest one they could find.  But when they have issues they are 100% positive that their problem can't be their fault or the cheap printers fault so it must be Cura's fault.  My own experience is limited but so far I'm finding that those people are rarely correct.

I could go on a rant here but I'm going to go fishing instead.

• Like 2

I'm having the same issue with Cura failing to slice in spiral mode regardless of the settings or models that I give it. I've long been using Simplify3D for its ability to spiralize effectively but I thought I would give Cura another look since S3D is giving me some artifacts with some of my models.

It sounds like the consensus is that spiral slicing is broken in Cura?

I've tried with both manifold models and surface models, and with surface mode in both "Surface" and "Normal" settings. I've also tried with and without the "Smooth Spiralize Contours." Nothing seems to work. I'm getting discrete layer steps regardless.

Is there an older version of Cura that is known to work properly with spiral slicing?

Read the thread and you'll find the solution including a link to a working Cura version.

I read the whole thread. I found no solution. I tried the smartavionics version if that is what you are referring to. Is there something I'm missing?

Sorry if I was unclear earlier in the thread. I think some useful information is in the Cura bug report as well:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/8849

I'll summarize what worked for me.

1. Use Smartavionics Cura fork at version 20201121

https://github.com/smartavionics/Cura/releases/tag/20201121

2. You must use Surface Mode = Normal

3. You must use Smoth Spiralized Contours

The rest of the settings are default (I'm almost sure of this). Of course you might want to set top and bottom layers to zero, depending on your needs.

Thanks for clarifying. Unless the problem now is with the preview, that series of choices does not seem to solve the issue. Here is what I get when slicing a test cylinder with that fork, Normal, and Smooth:

image.thumb.png.44e808a45f47c3d88b03f50763cd41b0.png

You can see how the layer is clearly stepped up. I'll go ahead and print the file to see if it is a preview issue, but I was getting clearly stepped models with starts and stops using those settings and the current build.

The preview in Cura does not work well for this. If you want to preview before printing you need to save the gcode and look at the model in another gcode viewer. The CraftWare slicer showed my seam problem very clear, and it was easy to see when the problem went away.

That seems to be the issue. My test is spiralizing properly. Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, grant_at_model_no said:

I read the whole thread. I found no solution. I tried the smartavionics version if that is what you are referring to. Is there something I'm missing?

Well, I was just trying to send some questions about this, cause the fact is you'll see the seam in Cura preview .but the seam is gone when you actually print it.

You may look at the gcode file (using notepad / notepad+), in here you will only se one G0 code in the beginning of the file. During the whole spiralize printing there is no G0 commands..  I've used S3D to confirm this.

Thanks

Torgeir

Hmm,

There is some issues with Cura when viewing the file in "slicing mode", I just come to think about this issue.

just forgot this one, -open Cura 4.8, then load the actual gcode file saved for printing by  Burts Master version, you will now see no seam anymore..

Just did a test of this, so now you know. I'll guess it will work that way in the master as well..

Good luck

Thanks

Torgeir

• Like 1

Interestingly those settings are also creating a spiral with the current Cura build. I'm trying to figure out now what was causing my slicing to fail previously. It might be that I had retraction enabled. I was surprised to find that spiral slicing didn't override the retraction option. Thanks again for your help. 

I'm hoping Cura will solve a couple of issues I had with spiral slicing in Simplify. Sometimes I would get a really prominent Z seam even though the motion was spiral. It seems that there is a slight pause or a slowdown once per loop without a corresponding pause in flow. I also occasionally run into models that slice with a periodic XY offset that follows a meandering Z line. In both cases the artifacts appear wherever the initial loops began. So far so good with Cura.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 10:54 PM, msageryd said:

Greg already opened up a bug report. And I just noticed that someone has a fix in a fork. This seems promising.

I’m not that keen on building Cura. I’ll wait a bit and see if UM picks this fix up and puts it in the next UM Cura version.

https://github.com/smartavionics/Cura/releases/tag/20201121

Big thankyou for pointing me to this! I've been so frustrated trying to work out why spiralize introduces the X,Y wobble on certain models!

Seems Um still hasn't picked it up but this smart avionics versions is a life saver for me.

@greens83 In fact, UM has picked this up.

See: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/8849

@msageryd ah ok, that's weird. I was still seeing it happen in 4.1 but when I switched to the smartavionics version it disappeared.

What do you mean by "4.1"?

Are you using 4.13?

It's important to set surface mode = normal

Sorry for a delayed response @msageryd. I thought this problem had gone away but now its back and I can not figure out why. Yes I have mode set to Normal. It seems geometry dependant. Some models don't create an x,y wobble but others do.

The geometry that caused problem to me in previous versions works fine with v4.13. If you have found any geometry that cases the same problem you should post it as an issue on github. Maybe also post the file here, as there are many knowledgagble and helpful people at the forum.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response. I've attached a screenshot, g-code and stl in question. At first I thought it might be the height of the geometry because If I stretch it up to a much taller object it seems to reduce and eventually disappear. However, If I just create a standard cylinder the same height as this part I don't get this X,Y wobble/seam with spiralize.

Screenshot 2022-03-31 13.51.46.png

bezel push fit 2.stl UM2E_bezel push fit 2.gcode

1116978062_Screenshot2022-03-3114_22_22.thumb.png.ac71034d993789cdce42cb4d8f5171fc.png

Ticking smooth contour doesn't help much either.

This is linked to z seam. If I specify where I want the z seam it moves the problem. So what I thought was the x,y wobble problem that others have talked about is actually a problem with spiralse creating a z seam, but only on certain models. I've tried all the z-seam related options to no avail.

Any suggestions or input very much welcome. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Edited by greens83