ABS polishing methods?

Super_paulie

Posted · ABS polishing methods?

Hi guys. I have been "polishing" my ABS parts as the face on show is the "bed side". As the project is like a mesh/grill all the bed facing holes come off the bed with the adhesion material blocking them, in use an ABS puck and acetone. So first I use wire wool to clear the holes and then an abrasive rag to smooth the surface the best I can. I tried to use an acetone cold vapour bath this weekend which worked great to give a nice surface but it totally changed the parts dimensions, see attached, it buckled as the shape changed, it should be flat.

Obviously this is no good, so does anyone have any good methods to clean up the bed facing side of ABS? Or should I move to hairspray to adhere you think?

Cheers!

IMG_20201129_131345.jpg

Maybe you could put them in a well controlled oven, at the glass-transition temperature, and put a heavy weight on them, so they get flat again? Let it sit for several hours, and then very gradually let it cool. Or heat-up the bed of your printer, and let it sit there for overnight, with a weight on top? And then very slowly cool down. They might get straight again?

Your models are thin, so I don't think they would warp too much if you use the glue stick, 3Dlac, hairspray or something similar for bonding? Worth trying. If it fails, then at least you know. Otherwise, you have an additional method as tool.

I have been using Kapton tape for years as adhesive on the build plate, works excellent for ABS and most materials. I wipe it clean with acetone before first print and then approx every 10 prints or so. Protects the build plate and no mess from glue or hairspray. Polishing ABS = lots of elbow grease, sand with 320, 600, 800 grit, finish with wet sanding 1000 and 1200 grit. After sanding polish by hand or machine with compound, I get excellent results with 3M Perfect - it products.

• Thanks 1